Your Top 20 Favourite Albums

Hi Clive it’s a good question and I share the same intent of clarifying. I do not know the intentions of the original poster but I can tell you how I understood the topic.

The list I posted is made with those records I always return to for a deep relieving listening session…those are my way back home.
Those are not the favorites of a given year or the most played of a period but those that close my listening evenings or afternoons. Those I select when I do not know what to listen to, may be this may be that…no I’ll go for this, oh well ok THIS… :blush:

1 Like
  1. Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme
  2. The Doors - L.A. Women
  3. Scritti Politti - Songs of remembrance
  4. Marvin Gaye - What’s Going on
  5. Millie Jackson - Caught Up
  6. John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillen
  7. Jeff Greinke - Scenes from a Train
  8. Boards of Canada - Music has a right to children
  9. Seefeel - Quique
  10. Yagya - Sleepygirls
  11. Cocteau Twins - Treasure
  12. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
  13. U2 - Boy
  14. Country Joe and the Fish - Electric music for the mind and body
  15. The Detroit Escalator Company - Excerpts
  16. Roxy Music - Flesh + Blood
  17. Nightmares on Wax - A Word of Science
  18. Hope Sandoval and the warm inventions - Until the Hunter
  19. Leftfield - Leftism
  20. jimi Hendrix - Smash Hits
2 Likes

Nothing personal, but what a depressing thought!

Your 16 is an underrated gem!

3 Likes

In no particular order

1. The diary of Alicia Keyes - Alicia Keyes
  2. The Tokyo Blues - Horace Silver
  3. Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
  4. Off the wall - Michael Jackson
  5. No room for squares - Hank Mobley
  6. Indigo - Kandace Springs
  7. Keep your head to the sky - Earth wind and Fire
  8. Goodbye yellow brick road - Elton john
  9. Face value - phill Collins
  10. Blowin the blues away - Horace Silver
  11. Parallel Lines - Blondie
  12. leapin and Loapin Sonny Clark
  13. A swinging affair - Dexter Gordon
  14. Southern Freeez - Freeez
  15. Havana- Roy Hargrove
  16. In flight - George Benson
  17. Jones girls - Jones girls
  18. Girl on fire -Alicia Keys
  19. Blacks and blues - Bobbi Humphrey

Albums I most regularly play. (at the moment)

Aja – Steeley Dan

Sailin Shoes – Little Feat

A Wizard A True Star – Todd Rundgren

Liars – Todd Rundgren

Machine Head – Deep Purple

Tricks Of The Shade – The Goats

Arkansas Traveller – Michelle Shocked

Moving Waves – Focus

Out Of This World – Shakatak

Drivin’ Hard – Shakata

Twice Removed From Yesterday - Robin Trower

Give me A Reason – Luther Vandross

Pieces Of A Man – Gil Scott Heron

Introducing – Mose Allison

Clear Horizon – Basia

Gamma 2 - Gamma

Tomcattin’ – Blackfoot

Fade Into Light – Boz Scaggs

Second Album – Roy Buchanan

Paris – Zaz.

Well, it looks like I am the odd one out here, more than half of mine are less than 10 years old!
In chronological order-

Hawkwind - Hawkwind (1970)
Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centuri (1971)
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (1988)
The Orb – Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld (1991)
GY!BE - F#A#∞ (1997)
Spiritualized – Ladies and Gentlemen (1997)
Interpol - Turn on The Bright Lights (1997)
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (2003)
Four Tet - Rounds (2003)
Portishead - Third (2008)
F Buttons - Tarot Sport (2009)
Darkside - Psychic (2013)
Nils Frahm - Spaces (2013)
Burial - Rival Dealer (2013)
Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers (2014)
Voices From The Lake - Live at MAXXI (2015)
The Caretaker - Everywhere at the End of Time - Stage 1 (2016)
Sam Kidel - Disruptive Muzak (2016)
Low - Double Negative (2018)
Alessandro Cortini & Lawrence English - Immediate Horizon (2018)
Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of (2018)

I treated this as a sort of ‘John Peel’s record box’ so represents what I most like now. The Hawkwind & Tangerine Dream are amongst the very first albums I bought in my early teens back in 1971 or 72 and listening to them today it is clear that my taste in music has not really changed that much over the past 47 years.
I gave up trying to whittle the list down so yes, there are 21, a list of 40 or 50 would be much easier, a list of 5 or 10 well-nigh impossible. Some of those that were on the list but got pushed off: Boards of Canada (twice), Neutral Milk Hotel, Animal Collective, Battles, Talk Talk, The XX, Tim Hecker, even the mighty Zeppelin (III) & Floyd (DSOM) were squeezed out by the newcomers.

Mike

2 Likes

These are also my favorites.

1 Like

As I read each list I find more than 20 I already agree with, and yet they haven’t even touched a few that would be musts for me, so I fear it is impossible!

20 fave artists would have been much easier! (Albeit still a challenge, because there will always be that #21 that you wonder…)

In no particular order, and I apologize in advance for the fact that I am cheating like crazy….

1. Frank Zappa – One Size Fits All (or Live at the Roxy?)
  2. Allman Brothers Band – Eat A Peach (or Live at the Fillmore East)
  3. Beatles – Abbey Road (or White Album)
  4. Joe Jackson – Big World
  5. Who – Quadrophenia (or Who’s Next)
  6. Rolling Stones – Let It Bleed
  7. Julian Bream – The Art of the Spanish Guitar
  8. Yes – The Yes Album
  9. Led Zeppelin – (LZ II, or I, or IV, or III…)
  10. Fleetwood Mac – The Dance
  11. Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers – Ugetsu
  12. Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
  13. Paul McCartney & Wings – Wings Over America
  14. Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?
  15. Arturo Toscanini & the NBC Symphony Orchestra – Nine Beethoven Symphonies
  16. Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young – 4-Way Street
  17. Oscar Peterson – not sure which one, but he would have one in there
  18. Steely Dan – Box Set (more cheating my tail off)
  19. Ella Fitzgerald – another that I am not sure which one; something live though
  20. James Taylor – (Live)

Again I apologize for cheating, and I can already think of artists who are left off and “shouldn’t" be – Paul Simon, Lenny Breau, Billy Joel, Rory Gallagher….it is impossible

In no particular order:

Album 1. (The Band that changed my life) The Smiths ‘The Queen Is Dead’.

The Smiths literally changed my life. If I hadn’t been such a massive fan I wouldn’t have gone to a Smiths convention in Manchester (1989) where I would meet my first love and also heard another band* for the first time coming up later on this list.

Every album they made was a classic but it’s TQID which holds a special place in my heart. I was lucky enough to see them on The Queen Is Dead tour in Wolverhampton. It’s still up there as my favourite gig of all time. When they arrived on stage the world stopped. I looked around me with people screaming and crying, totally losing themselves. I thought to myself “This must of been what was like see The Beatles”. Total Mania.

I don’t tend to listen to them much anymore. Morrissey’s behaviour has got more and more bizarre over the years and he hasn’t made anything worth listening to since ‘Vauxhall and I’ (1994). Thankfully we still have Johnny Marr who’s made some great albums (The Messenger is one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years) and contributed to many of others.

Album 2. Cocteau Twins ‘Treasure’.

Basically my favourite band of all. Impossible to describe without sounding like a knob.

I discovered them one Saturday morning on a tv show presented by Gary Crowley back in 1985. Ever since then I’ve played them on a regular basis and never tired of them. I saw them live many times and actually met Liz and Robin in Sheffield while on tour for ‘Heaven or Las Vegas’. I still have the signed note Liz and Robin.

It’s extremely difficult to pick a favourite (they’ve never made a bad track let alone a bad album) but ‘Treasure’ gets the nod today. I actually physically ache when I listen to it. It takes me to another other-worldly time and place. If you’ve seen the film ‘Picnic at Hanging Rock’ I get that sort of imaginary and vibe.

Album 3: Talk Talk ‘The Colour of Spring’.

I remember buying the album in Woolworths Cannock back in 1986. I’d bought the single ''Life’s What You Make It" first, which was pretty poppy and mainstream and not a million miles away their earlier synth pop records. The album (The Colour of Spring) was a move away from the mainstream, especially side two which showed early signs of the direction they would later take on their following albums “Spirit of Eden” and “Laughing Stock”. I still play all three albums on a regular basis and are up there as my most played albums, which just shows how great they are. ‘The Colour of Spring’ is also my ‘Test Disc’ for demoing anything ‘Hi-Fi’ related.

Album 4. This Mortal Coil ‘Filigree and Shadow’

Writing a list of my favourite and influential albums, it looks like 1986 was the formative year which had a profound effect on the rest of my life. A lot of the albums I bought around this time I still play on a regular basis, including this one.

Although their first album, “It’ll end in tears” is a great album I believe 'Filigree and Shadow ’ is their Magnum opus.
It’s very difficult to try to describe this album to anyone, much like the Cocteau Twins, this album is otherworldly and without comparison.

Album 5 . Jeff Buckley ‘Grace’

This album was recommend to me by someone back around 1996 (it all gets a little hazy around this time). After a (very) drunken evening I recalled the conversation from the night before (a minor miracle) about the album. Shortly afterwards I bought the album without listening to it (remember the days before YouTube?).
Thankfully it turns out it was a safe bet. The album is a masterpiece. I’ve since recommend it to many friends who’ve all gone on to buy it and love it too.

Album 6 .* The Stone Roses S/T

In your life you will have one moment or one day which changes your life forever…

(As previously mentioned) it was in July 1989. I went to a Smiths convention in Manchester and on my journey up there I met my first love who would change my life forever.

On the same evening I heard The Stone Roses and “I am the Resurrection” for the first time. This was at a ‘Smiths Disco’, which wasn’t as sad as it sounds, honest!

I was on the dance floor (which was a first for me too being a shy ‘box bedroom rebel’) as “I am the Resurrection” started. From the opening snare drum I completely lost myself. To this day I’ve never heard a better song. That breakdown, that bass! Jesus! I bought the album the following week and an amazing period of my life began.

The following year I went to the now legendary Spike Island concert. Ignore knobheads like Noel Gallagher banging on about the sound being sh*t. They sounded amazing down the front! Still one of the best days of my life. You could say the Roses mean A LOT to me.

Album 7 . David Sylvian ‘Secrets of the Beehive’

No great personal story behind this choice, it’s just a stunning album.

Album 8 . Hüsker Dü ‘Candy Apple Grey’

Difficult to choose just one album by them. ‘Candy Apple Grey’ was my introduction to them via the Annie Nightingale radio 1 show on a Sunday evening.

A pivotal band in my life. Thanks to them I got to know a group of life long mates and made a lot of memories along the way. Never saw Hüsker Dü live but managed to see Bob Mould and Grant Hart live. I saw Bob Mould with his band Sugar at ULU in London. An amazing day with the highlight being my first stage dive. The look of fear on the crowds faces is something I’ll never forget. Laffin!

Album 9. David Bowie ‘Hunky Dory’

I’ve never been one for looking back. There are bands which I like from the 60’s and 70’s but they don’t feature heavily in my collection.

I got into Bowie very late and it’s something I regret. As a teenager Bowie was just bright suits and part of that Live Aid clique which was another world away from where I was at the time.

It was around 2010 when I bought Hunky Dory and I finally “got it”. I just could not believe one person could be responsible for so much great music. Since then I’ve played more Bowie than anything else. Choosing one album was virtually impossible. Of the 27 studio albums he released I could’ve chosen anyone one from 10 masterpieces. A Genius! Hunky Dory is probably the most played album of his, so it gets the nod today.

Album 10. Radiohead ‘In Rainbows’

This list hasn’t been in an particular order but I think ‘In Rainbows’ could well be my favourite album of all time. I could have quite easily put ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ in this Top Ten but wanted to keep the list as varied as possible. Not sure what the list says about me or the state of music today, seen as there’s only one band in my Top Ten still releasing new material?

No great back story with me and Radiohead. I just love ‘em.

Another 10:

1. ’The Verve ‘A Storm In Heaven’. They never made a bad album.

2. Doves ‘Lost Souls’. One of most underrated bands IMHO. Everything they’ve released has been class.

3. Pink Floyd ‘DSOTM’. An obvious choice but for me it’s perfection.

4. Echo and the Bunnymen ‘Ocean Rain’ (basically their first four albums)

5. Pixies ‘Surfer Rosa’ (I kissed Kim Deal you know!)

6. Depeche Mode ‘Violator’

7. New Order ‘Low Life’

8. Big Black ‘Songs about F*cking’

9. Prefab Sprout ‘Steve McQueen’

10. Grizzly Bear ‘Painted Ruins’

…‘’that’s the story of my life’’

13 Likes

Fantastic list and related stories Blackmass and one which mirrors a lot of my favourites. Can’t believe you’ve kissed Kim Deal and also like Big Black!:grin:

1 Like

Nice to see Paul MaCartneys ‘Ram’ in your list, I think it’s an absolute magnificent album,very underrated

I’m extremely curious about your Stan Tracey choice, it’s the only one I have never heard of, will have to have a listen …

Ram is such a joyous album and really shows off Paul McCartney at his very best. It reminds me of happy times with people I love, which is maybe a good reflection of the album itself.

The Stan Tracey Jazz Suite is fantastic. Bobby Wellins playing Saxophone on Starless and Bible Black is utterly stunning. Although originally issued in mono in 1965, see if you can find the original stereo issue from 1969 on EMI Columbia SCX3589. It’s a superb recording - one of the best from the Lansdowne Series. Failing that, the '70s Steam reissue is also very good, as is the CD issue on Resteamed from about 9 years ago.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, it’s useful to know the recommended issue to purchase

Ok here goes,they all seem to be from a certain era ,so shoot me, in no particular order.

Abbey Road - The Beatles

The White Album - The Beatles

Rubber Soul -The Beatles

Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

Paradise and Lunch - Ry Cooder

Layla - Derek and The Dominos

461 Ocean Boulevard - Eric Clapton

Ram - Paul McCartney

Dire Straits - Dire Straits

Paul Simon - Paul Simon

Rough Mix - Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane

Ringo! - Ringo Starr

All Things Must Pass - George Harrison

Live! - Free

Abraxas - Santana

Vol 1 - Travelling Wilburys

Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

Who’s Next - The Who

The Cat - Jimmy Smith

I can honestly say these albums would be my desert island companions ,and not a single track would be skipped (yes even Revolution No.9 :grinning:]

Now that I did not expect to see whilst idly flicking through/procrastinating. Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac etc, yes, but not Marduk.

I enjoyed Those of The Unlight back at the time, but lost touch with what they were doing after Heaven… But then I briefly toured with them around the time of Wormwood and found them significantly reinvigorated by the new singer. Much better than Legion. Nice to see something so out of the ordinary crop up.

Not so much an all time favourites than the albums that have been played the most over the last three months. It started at over 20 so I excluded Miles, Floyd, SRV to give the rest and a bit of a different variety.

Anthem – Black Uhuru
Out Of Bed – The Witches of Elswick
Tomorrow Is My Turn – Rhiannon Giddens
Sheffield Steel – Joe Cocker
Famous Blue Raincoat - Jennifer Warnes
Heart Of The Congos – The Congos
Parcel Of Rogues – Steeleye Span
Full English – The Full English
Live In London – Leonard Cohen
Cantata Domino – Oskars Motet etc
Joshua Judges Ruth – Lyle Lovett
Let No Man Write My Epitath – Ella Fitzgerald
Ojah Awake – Osibisa
Applewood Road – Applewood Road
Based On A True Story – Fat Freddys Drop
Into The Gap – Thompson Twins
Tired And Emotional – Mary Coughlan
Affirmation – Savage Garden
Weave And Spin – Lady Maisery
Spiegel Im Spiegel – Arvo Part

1 Like

@Richard Dane: only one classical album in the list but what a choice! Chapeau!

Thanks, but there were two - were you referring to the McCreesh Messiah or The Borodin Quartet?