2 Likes

Tough - not in order.

• Telegraph Rd
  • Planet of New Orleans
  • Brothers In Arms
  • Sultans of Swing
  • News
1 Like

I have a strange suspicion this could be a real ‘Marmite’ thread, judging by comments about DS in the past!

Whatever, my top 5 are:

Romeo And Juliet
Sultans Of Swing
Private Investigations
Lions
Once Upon A Time In The West

No.5 would have been Going Home, but, despite being performed live by the band on more than one occasion, strictly speaking I suppose it was a Knopfler solo song.

Their eponymous first album will always rank as one of my all time favourites, permanently in my Top Twenty.

1 Like

Agree Timmo, any five from that first album. What an amazing way to introduce yourself to the World!

Stu

2 Likes

A tough call to put in order, but any order will do.

Private Investigations
Telegraph Rd
Brothers In Arms
Local Hero / Wild Theme
Sultans of Swing

2 Likes

Tunnel of Love
Telegraph Road
Lady Writer
Portobello Belle
Wild West End

1 Like

This is more difficult than choosing 5 best Beatles songs.

I will listen critically to the first 4 albums and revert.

2 Likes

Private Investigations
Telegraph Road
Planet of New Orleans
Wild West End
Romeo and Juliet

1 Like

I loved that record and played it to death. I even had a Dire Straits badge in the shape of a guitar. I went off them when they evolved from a great guitar band into something where the sonic effects seemed more important than the music (can you hear that glass smash?). Of course that’s why they became so loved by those who prefer hifi to music and were such a hit among audiophiles.

These ‘what are your top five records by x’ are always amusing. It’s a thing that geeky blokes love to do: it’s worth reading Nick Hornby’s excellent High Fidelity if anyone has not done so.

My top five would be Once Upon a Time in the West, Money for Nothing and then three from the first album.

2 Likes

These are always fun.

Tunnel Of Love from the Live In 85 video that C4 broadcast on The Tube. This is the only version that has the punch, the dynamism and the absolute feel good factor from end to end. And the intro with its nod to Diana Ross & The Supremes is great.

You And Your Friend.

Sultans Of Swing. Still great.

Telegraph Road

Romeo And Juliet. Happy days… :upside_down_face:

One of the best books of that genre I’ve ever read. Brilliant.

1 Like

In the Gallery
Where Do You Think You’re Going?
Wild West End
Telegraph Road
Love Over Gold

2 Likes

I’ve seen Dire straights live twice, in Wellington 1983 and Sydney 1986. On both occasions I was struck how by how little the band interacted with the audience. However the music was great and everyone seemed to love it at both venues.
I thought their 1978 eponymous debut album was brilliant from beginning to end, and it’s one of my all time favourites. Second album Communique was not as good but very underrated. Tunnel of Love was brilliant as well.

So my favourites

Twisting by the pool!
Portobello Belle
Lions
Communique
Walk of life

But really they must have must have at least. 20 first class tracks.
I thought Pick Withers was a great drummer and sorely missed. And John Isley a great bassist.

1 Like

Lions
Where Do You Think You’re Going
Once Upon a Time in the West
Skateaway
Love Over Gold

1 Like

Matteo, are these your choice or were you told what to like on the Steve Hoffman forum?

You should hear Money For Nothing on MFSL 45rpm. Amazing.

1 Like

Discogs forum

So are you saying that those choices are not your personal top five? If that’s the case, what are your top five?

Nice one!

No I was joking, like Count.d

The joke’s on me then!

Send me your MFSL copy

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: