Your Watch & Naim

I really don’t know. I’ve asked to speak to whomsoever is in charge and no one has come forward. There’s a matron-type figure at the nurse’s station, but she’s just obeying orders (as all those nice men in uniforms were in Nuremberg 70-odd years ago). I propose to tell them that I am not prepared to have £1,400 a week siphoned off my savings each week, and that I will be going home on Friday. If they want to stop me, they will have to have me arrested, and I have a better chance of leaving police custody voluntarily than I do this place.

So, if I’m not posting on Saturday, I will probably be in Brighton nick, with this Mac confiscated! I wonder what prison food is like?

Graham sorry to hear you’re still there. May I ask and sorry if (a) you’ve probably posted it earlier and I’ve missed it and/or (b) it may be private but why are you there. Please don’t feel obligated to answer.

I think that I have posted before, Pete (as I have had little else to do connected with normal life). Essentially, I had an internal blockage - I filled up with poo - and was admitted to Brighton hospital as an emergency. I was then discharged to a care home (with heavy medical oversight), and then to my current rest home - essentially full of old and/or mad people waiting to die.

It is not a place calculated to improve the human spirit (more slit-your-wrists-in-desperation). Scary that such places exist, and I don’t wish to be here.

I have the TV channel tuned to Radio 3 most of the time, and indeed Petroc is playing a Strauss piece from Carlos Kleiber’s extraordinary first New Year’s Day Concert as I type this. [Appalling news just in, the Kleiber recording has finished, and Petroc has just informed a stunned radio audience that Mr Frankly-Worse-Than-Most will be presiding over events in Vienna on 1st Jan next year.]

1 Like

It’s obviously health and no matter how much it annoys you you’re better off listening to professionals. Don’t really think they’d keep you if it wasn’t necessary.

Sorry to hear of your current Predicament Graham, however, so as to not derail this thread, might I suggest you or others perhaps open a new topic or take the discussion over to a different more general thread that’s available in the Lounge. Thanks.

3 Likes

Richard, please feel free to move the errant chatter to a new thread, or whatever suits best. I don’t envy you your task - it must be like trying to herd cats!

39 explorer, not flashy not big not small, one watch to rule them all:)

23 Likes

GMT month for me :rofl:

14 Likes

lovely Panerai- the 00888?

1 Like

thanks, its PAM00088.

1 Like

Tritium is rather toxic and Rolex have not been willing to work with crumbling tritium for quite a while now.

Once out of warranty, working with a GOOD independent watchmaker who works on a lot of Rolexes is the best way. For at least the reason they are happy to not replace parts you don’t want replaced.

2 Likes

I’ve never thought much of the DateJust but this one became available at my local Rolex boutique for me. It’s much nicer than I’d anticipated.

23 Likes

Current set of Citizen and Naim

6 Likes

Nice choice Bart
41 mm I believe, looks clean I
Like it, has good wrist presence as well.
A nice watch to wear dressed up or in jeans it fit the roll.

1 Like

I love 24 hour dials and this is my favourite. An AirNautic AN24 with manual wind Unitas movement. One of only 50 ever made. Roughly, daylight is the upper half of the dial and night is the lower half.

8 Likes

Yes, 41mm. The fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet give it some bling, but the dial brings it back. So it all works for me!

The Rolex boutiques have no watches you can walk in a buy, but it only took 4 days from me asking the sales assoc about this for her to text me that it arrived.

1 Like

They never entered my interest either until I tried one on and then thought it was wonderful.

19 Likes

Quoted from a Wall Street Journal article:

After Jobs’s death and Cook’s anointment as CEO, Ive pushed for projects he thought would take the company into the future: wearable technology, including Apple Watch and AirPods. Ive believed the watch would aid people in myriad ways—particularly in the area of health, by helping to identify irregular heartbeats or other indicators of ill health. When it was released in 2015, some critics disliked the limited battery life, but in the seven years since, Apple says, it has become the bestselling watch in the world. “It’s not really a watch—it’s taking the form of something familiar to people, centuries of wristwatches,” says Sudjic. “It shows an understanding of the way we relate to the things we wear.”

Nicely understated bling

Trying to decide if the numbers would drive me mad or not.

1 Like

Where is the mistake? :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes