Your Watch & Naim

My favourite configuration Daytona!

Almost impossible to purchase from an AD in Australia these days!

Australia seems to be one of the toughest markets to pick up any Rolex from an AD

That watch is far too lovely to sell. Please… just don’t!

What is the metal dial version? Could you post a photo, please?

I’ve had two Rolex watches in my entire adult life and would never consider anything else*. A bit like Naim, really!

• I gifted the first to my son on his turning 21, so both are still in the family.

I know values are volatile, but you won’t lose money on it in the long run. It’s a beautiful watch. I have a white gold Daytona and will never sell it…

12 Likes

Metal bezel, prior to introduction of black ceramic version. In my dreams I’d have either this or the newer ceramic bezel one :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I think that I remember reading once that the Daytona watch is the hardest Rolex model to get one’s hands on (and not just in Australia). Obviously, Rolex could crank out more of them, but they have clearly decided not to do so.

They make the watches, so they get to make the rules, I suppose.

I think that there was a thread recently about Paul Newman’s Daytona selling at auction for squillions of US$ - was it 17?

still much prefer the cleaner look of this, but the new Daytona is slowing growing on me.

1 Like

15 Likes

Nice pair. I had the black SS version, which I regrettably sold.

2 Likes

Yes, I really like the SS one as well. Most of my “professional” Rolexes are in SS.

Fully legit.

30 Likes

When it comes to watches. Buy what you like, not what you will earn money on. Rolex is so mainstream. They produce over a million pieces annually.

Minerva Pythagore today.

22 Likes

With spring approaching, I thought it was time to treat the Railmaster to a fabric strap. It’s from @Richard.Dane ’s favourite, Jean Paul Meniccuci. I’m not sure how long it will last, but it looks very nice, in a slightly wooly sort of way.

21 Likes

Is that canvas Nigel?

lovely Railmaster, btw…

Than you. Yes, it’s canvas, though a rather wooly one. The watch is a 2804.52.37, but you probably knew that!

1 Like

I really like this reference!

Omega need more 36-38mm in the current lineup

1 Like

On the subject of Omega…

I just heard from my watch repairer/restorer today regarding a watch I sent in for repair - a Tissot T12 UFO Chronograph, which uses a caliber based on the Lemania 1873 and shares much with the Omega 861 as found on the Speedmasters. Turns out the hairspring had broken which requires a replacement balance wheel and hairspring assembly. Not so bad you’d think, except for the price of a new replacement part from Omega- £300 + VAT + postage! With a service as well, it’s going to be a bit costly… Aaargh!

A couple of weeks back, I got my 1962 Omega watch back from Goldsmiths after a 7 month round trip to Switzerland. I was given it by my Dad recently, who brought it back in the 70’s then chucked it in a drawer and didn’t wear it. It was in a bit of a state, but did still run. Omega swapped a lot of bits (which I am happy about), but couldn’t do much to the face which has a number of marks. Anyway, for £465 cost, I thought it was quite reasonable - plus I used Tesco Vouchers for most of the cost.

For ref its a 14393/4 SC Vintage Automatic Automatik Date Datum 18ct 18kt Vollgold Gold Chronometer.

21 Likes

Sadly, it looks like the £300+VAT quoted for the part is “reasonable” compared to what it’s quoted elsewhere. However, what I don’t quite understand is why this balance wheel costs ten times that of other Omega balance wheels, unless it’s just down to scarcity.

Looking at the parts returned to you, it looks like they replaced almost everything, even bridges - though not, slightly surprisingly, the main spring.