Your Watch & Naim

I think you will find that the window display has just cases. They are in my local shop.

Yeah they always have them in a display case but when you ask, they never have the moon or mercury ones… (In Oxford street anyway)

Can’t order them online and can’t order in the shops… You literally have to go everyday and hope they’ve had a delivery…
Bit weird really. They look nice but the only thing that’s omega about them is the badge…

Just goes to show what marketing can do for a company. Perception is more important than quality.

1 Like

My Grandfather’s watch is running but I think it could do with a service. :thinking:

3 Likes

Interesting just looking at your Weishi No 1000 and found this interesting youtube clip - which for the watch collector might be of interest.

1 Like

I definitely wont be getting one. The last thing I need to know is whether or not all my old watches need a service - ignorance is bliss.

2 Likes

The low amplitude (should be 250+ in all positions and mine drops when in the vertical) is an indicator that friction has increased possibly because the lube has thickened or dried. Not servicing will increase the wear on the arbors and bushes.

1 Like

Hm, curiosity got to me and I watched the video. Very helpful, although I have a few vintage watches which suggest a lower amplitude would be expected, and be quite normal. I don’t think I would use the phone app, so perhaps a purchase may be on its way. I can just see myself starting up a new spreadsheet to monitor my watches over time (excuse the pun).

Oh dear what have you done!

It would be interesting to know if others on this thread also own a timegrapher?

3 Likes

Grand Seiko White Birch Hi-Beat. It’s very difficult to photograph the sheer beauty of this watch and it’s dial. It has to be seen to be believed.

21 Likes

I have one. It’s quite fun, but just don’t make the silly mistake I did when trying to get the regulation on my Tissot T12 Chronograph absolutely spot on and then got slightly distracted by something. A replacement Lemania balance is not only very difficult to find but also very expensive indeed!

1 Like

Ordered one yesterday, then today my Raymond Weil just stopped, so double expense. I don’t intend to make any adjustments, but would be good to monitor the health of my watches over time, particularly now that we have six watches >40 years old. I can also check on the state when they come back from service to get a benchmark for each.

1 Like

My SD white birch says hi

22 Likes

Very nice. I nearly went for the SD version but decided for the hi-beat in the end. Beautiful watches.

2 Likes

Because that’s what they are.

I rather like them. I have two of the Swatches (Earth, which was a gift, and Mars, which I picked up at the 5th Avenue New York City boutique). A friend of mine is in Vienna now and he’s going to see if the Swatch boutique there has any left today. I’d like a yellow or blue 50Fathoms Swatch.

1 Like

Swatch 50 fathoms are or were " exhibition only" when I was in Rome earlier this week. I did wonder what the big queues and security guard were all about

Top picture is from the airport, lower picture from city.
All Rolex were exhibition only at airport. Odd, why would you employ staff at airport to exhibit? Unless you use the airport very regularly, why would you order at the airport?

2 Likes

I became a fan of the sector dial. I now own two (the Omega is supposed to arrive today). My wife has largely commandeered the Massena Labs watch, so I HAD to buy the Omega for me.

16 Likes

That Omega is lovely with the blued hands

1 Like

I get why people like them and they do look good.

I probably went in with too high of an expectation given the premium in the secondary market back then.

The first of the 50 Fathoms Swatches on ebay are offered at like $1400. Wont be sustained of course! RRP is $400

That’s crazy!

I got my omega moon watch for less than 1400. Then again, that’s more than 20 years go. :sweat_smile: