Your Watch & Naim

Each to their own. I love apple stuff but I cannot for the life of me see myself wearing an apple watch. It just does not appeal to me.

Very handy when travelling but not a patch on a good classical watch.

The top watch is an inexpensive Murex I picked up just because I liked the way it looked.
The 2nd is a Tudor Black Bay 58.I just got last week I went in to buy a Tag but didnā€™t find one I liked as much as the Tudor. It is my first luxury watch purchase.
The gold watch is a Bucherer from the 70ā€™s that belonged to my dad. It is time for a service but I hate to send it off. I only wear it formal events but my dad wore it every day. He was always wearing suit.

15 Likes

The stainless steel bracelet and case of my Rolex Milgauss were in need of a good clean, so I made sure that the winding crown was tightly screwed onto the case and put the watch through the dishwasher after breakfast this morning with all the crockery, etc.

Itā€™s nice and clean now, sparkling even!

4 Likes

your joking right?

1 Like

No.

1 Like

Ah, yes, the Rolex Mielegauss.

12 Likes

Tudor BB41 M79540 ETA

15 Likes

Caustic dishwasher soap is bad for the gaskets and is definitely not recommended. In fact itā€™s extremely foolish. Itā€™s very easy to wash a bracelet in the sink with warm water, gentle soap and a soft brush.

2 Likes

The dishwasher powder canā€™t get at the gaskets.

The winding crown seals the watch - hence the name Oyster, so I beg to differ on the foolishness, thank you.

The winding crown is sealed with gaskets, and thatā€™s what get damaged. If you think itā€™s a good idea then carry on, but it might be a good idea to save up for the repair bill.

1 Like

The winding crown screws onto the case - hence the name Oyster - so dishwasher powder (or even lubricating fluid) can get nowhere near the gasket.

If itā€™s survived the water, are you sure the hot drying cycle had not damaged it? At the end of our dishwasher cycle the crockery is too hot to pick up comfortablyā€¦ not sure Iā€™d expose my watch and the delicate oils, seals, dial too that tempā€¦ but itā€™s yours to do what you want!!

3 Likes

Are you sure you know what a gasket is?
The gaskets will have been exposed to dishwasher water, both the caseback and the crown gasket (screwed in or not). The gasket provides a flexible seal between two components of the watch e.g. case and caseback; crown and case.

70 Celcius dishwasher water wonā€™t have done the movementā€™s oils any good at all.

1 Like

There are caseback and crystal gaskets as well as those for the crown to consider. A quick search shows others have tried dishwashing Rolex watches, I wonā€™t mention the fora involved, but the general consensus seems to be not to try it twice.

Hope your watch continues to keep good time graham55 :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

I canā€™t think of any reason why Iā€™d put my Rolex through a dishwasher; seems like an odd approach and my Rolex dealer has never suggested that I do itā€¦

Donā€™t think Iā€™d go down that route to clean my Rolex @anon70766008

If screwing the crown into the case is enough to seal it why does it need a gasket?

I clean mine with an electric toothbrush in warm soapy water. Comes up lovely.

For the sake of accuracy (well, whatever 10 minutes reading the internet counts as), and really not wanting to take this further down the rabbit hole! Apparently Rolex gaskets are likely highly resistant to (some) caustic chemicals, I think made of Viton and/or Nitrile. Iā€™m going to sink back into the hedge Homer Simpson style now thoughā€¦

Probably not as effective as a hot programme in a washing machine and then a very fast spin. Preferably on its own.

1 Like

I wash my Tudor and bracelet in a small plastic bowl with warm water and Fairy Liquid and a baby soft toothbrush then dry thoroughly with a microfibre cloth.
:+1:t2:

2 Likes