Your Watch & Naim

Thank you to all for the unsought advice. People clearly know next to nothing about the Rolex Oyster case. I have been doing this every so often for a number of years, and no hot water or dishwasher powder have got inside.

The watch and bracelet are very clean though!

2 Likes

That old one about the poodle in the microwave has now been surpassed by the Rolex in the dishwasher.

You couldn’t make this sort of thing up.

1 Like

If it’s a Milgaus then it’s only 100m water resistant. Spraying it with water at high pressure could exceed that as the normal test is static water pressure.

1 Like

I put my grandkids through the dishwasher when I’m babysitting saves time and they come out sparkling. I don’t tell their parents though.

11 Likes

If you’re right, my watch will be full of water tomorrow.

If you’re wrong, it will carry on ticking as it has done for the last ten years or so.

I’ll report back.

Or it will eventually fail as the gaskets erode. Personally I’d keep my mechanical watches out of a hot and corrosive environment.

Hopefully you get lucky

I take a shower and clean my watch at the same time. Compared to the dishwasher, it almost feels like making love.

1 Like

I speak personally, but I suspect the sentiment, even if expressed in a way that wasn’t appreciated, is shared by most, if not all of the posts you refer to; I truly hope your watch is fine.

I was surprised to read of your cleaning method, did a bit of reading and then thought long and hard before posting about it. I am not a fan of unsolicited advice either, but made an exception in the hope that informed decisions or revisiting past decisions, might result. If you’re happy that no damage is possible, and have tried it before, then that’s very obviously fair enough!

Maybe a call to the AD, just to double check their advice, might be worth it, just in case. I mean nothing but goodwill by this post as well as my others

1 Like

Intermediate Wash Cycle. The instructions are on the face.

G

2 Likes

Who would have thought that the ultimate show us your willy thread would yield such comedy gold? That one is up there with @Christopher_M ’s excellent Mielegauss quip earlier.

4 Likes

You’ll have to buy me a drink first.

1 Like

I would want a meal, too.

1 Like

9 Likes

I’m sure it will be fine.

Only a tiny, minute, minuscule part of the crown outer gasket would come into contact with any dishwasher fluid. (if it got past the thread). :face_with_spiral_eyes:

If that part of the gasket was damaged by the fluid, the gasket sealing efficiency isn’t going to be compromised.

Although I wouldn’t do it myself. I’d go for bathing it in HP Brown sauce. :innocent:

3 Likes

I use spectacle cleaning solution with a soft toothbrush on my Omega, followed by a polishing with a microfibre cloth.

Works well enough for me.

DG…

1 Like

The design is robust, the question is about whether it should be challenged in a dishwasher. The chemicals are agressive and hot.
We couod always ask Rolex as the owner of the design as to whether they’d recommend this method.

1 Like

Hmmm. The strap seems to have evaporated though

I took that off first. I’m not silly.

4 Likes

I’d be more concerned about the heat than the chemicals. I don’t actually think it’s that chemical, it’s mostly enzymes as far as I’m aware.

1 Like

Thermal expansion of the case and movement, evaporation of the lubricating oils on the abors :confused:

Rolex’s endurance test was just to show how good they are and the watch has the ability to withstand any normal use for years.