Your Watch & Naim

A 50th birthday present from my wife (received 2 yrs later)!

25 Likes

A new brown strap for the IWC. The original strap is black. In my opinion the brown one also fits very well to the face of the watch.

31 Likes

Lovely choice. I, too, tend to prefer brown (or cognac) over black as it gives a less formal appearance.

3 Likes

13 Likes

I agree, the brown strap is a far better choice on this one.

1 Like

Talking of straps, when I bought my Bremont Supermarine I was offered a rubber strap as part of the deal. It’s finally arrived and I picked it up earlier. I much prefer it to the metal bracelet and like the way it lets one see more of the unique Bremont case.

16 Likes

That’s lovely Nigel, I’ve been contemplating a Bremont for some time. You seem to enjoy yours.

I’m sure there’s nothing ‘unique’ there. A nice watch though :+1:

1 Like

It’s my understanding that the three part Trip-Tick case is unique to Bremont, and it’s certainly a registered trademark. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve not seen anything else like it.

10 Likes

Of all the watches you have owned and shown us over the last few years, I personally think this is the best design. It has an understated elegance with simplicity and the implementation of the numbers in particular is perfect.

Some big changes at Bremont lately. I do quite like the new Terra Nova Chrono but not sure about the rest and the new logo. New CEO Davide Cerrato was the man behind Tudor’s renaissance with the Black Bay series so here’s hoping there will be some more exciting things to come…

Aaah, I couldn’t see that from the original photograph. I hope with all the changes/the re-branding at Bremont, that they don’t lose their way.

I like their aviation/pilot watch heritage and it’s a shame that they’ve dropped the nice airplane rotor logo.

They are either going to do very well, or crash horribly. The online reaction seems to be almost universally negative, but then change is always hard. The new watches are much more bland, and design-wise the fonts seem far too big to me, with the Terra Nova almost covered in writing. The new logo is awfully close to that of Stone Island, and I saw pretty much an identical logo to Bremont’s on the side of a boat on the canal in Nancy a couple of weeks ago.

The top part of the Trip-Tick case is made from hardened steel, seven times harder than the standard 316L and the watch does feel rather like it would survive being run over by a bus. I do hope they do well of course but I think they’ve got themselves in a real muddle, running old and new styles concurrently.

1 Like

I guess it depends on what you like, and it’s interesting that you consider it to be elegant. My Jaeger-LeCoultre is far more classic and elegant, but the Bremont is far more durable obviously. The main driver for getting the Bremont was because I wanted something with a white face, and it seemed to fit the bill, and doesn’t shout ‘expensive’ in any way, as some watches do.

1 Like

It is a huge departure from what went before and it does seem as though any identity that Bremont have made for themselves over their 20 years has been pretty much erased here. A big gamble, and unfortunately I feel that the negative reaction from many in the watch world doesn’t bode well.

1 Like

The new version of the Supermarine looks OK, but is just a bit bland, with its standard casing. But why is the logo so big? If the hands are put in the standard ten past ten position, it’s partly obscured.

It’s much better than this thing though…

2 Likes

I think it would be a real shame if they totally drop the trip-tick case, I really like the solo as a plain do it all watch. I dislike the “London” on the dial, trying to tap into something it’s not! If it just said made in England i would probably have one now.

Visited a friend earlier today who works in the city at one of the ADs for Omega and other brands. Couldn’t resist this one, which came with a very good discount as apparently they aren’t in high demand. No clue why that is, but very happy with mine.

20 Likes

I know nothing about the specific material used, but generally harder means more brittle. Like with sapphire vs plexi.

So I do wonder why everyone else is happy with 316, perhaps because it won’t crack?

The case has a coating 7 times harder than 316L (although I’m not actually sure it’s correct to define something as x time harder than something else).

It’s good practice when something is hard coated, to harden the base material. So, it will be hardened to some extent. Possibly surface hardened before coating, which will ensure it retains its toughness.