Your Watch & Naim

Ulysse Nardin! How wonderful!

I had a marine chronometer like that when I started collecting watches; it’s the one I really regret letting go of; the silicone straps with the ingot inlay were so very comfortable…

Nice!

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Its my daily wear for the past 2 months - something slightly different from my usual. Thanks.

Truly connected!

9 Likes

A rare warm day in the garden.

17 Likes

Having a clear-out at the ancestral home after the death of a family member. This watch had no takers, so I’m going to offer it to a daughter.

I’m going to take it to an Omega dealer in a few days’ time to ask about options for servicing etc, but does anyone have any knowledge or observations about it? I assume the expandable strap isn’t original, so will ask about leather options.

Thanks,

Mark

19 Likes

how’s this

I took my 1960’s to Goldsmiths for a service. It ended up going back to Omega in Switzerland for a service, cost around £450 and took about 8 months. But well worth it in my mind

3 Likes

That’s beautiful, a wonderful vintage Omega.

A good service would be very worthwhile but be careful that any restoration work doesn’t take away that wonderful patina on the dial, I would be tempted to stick with just the service.

And it will look great on a good leather strap, it will work with many different colours as well.

Apologies in advance if you know this.

2 Likes

Apparently a famously good, reliable and highly serviceable movement and model. I only know this as I have the “re-edition” of this original CK859 model inspired entirely by this one, only slightly larger.

Great stuff, thanks everyone.

My understanding is that Omega’s servicing policy is to restore to ‘as new’, meaning the dial would be polished or replaced. Whilst I would prefer this not be done, the daughter thinks she’d like it, so we’ll have to see who wins the game of Rock/Paper/Scissors!

Mark

Simon Freese, is a well respected UK watch repairer, he does a lot of work on vintage Speedmasters, servicing them but maintaining the watch’s original integrity, it might be worth you contacting him to see if your Omega is something he could work on.

3 Likes

Link has been removed - can you post the model number as plain text, please, so I can find out more?

Yes sure. I used Google photo search to find these, but this is what came back

OMEGA 30 T2 - Year 1947 (UK eBay)
although the second dial is a little different. 30 T2 seams to be the family its from

1 Like

Where exactly in Switzerland do you send it for service?
I feel I need it also

12 Likes

My guess would be via your local Omega store? Have you checked Omega’s website as there used to be a section on historic watch restorations?

Worth contacting these guys in Norwich

1 Like

Correct. Simon is one of the very few you should send a vintage Omega to.
Omega service will want to put back to factory. Never ever ( unless they fall apart) change dial/hands on any watch unless you want to lose value.
Ive seen some 50s and 60s Omegas destroyed by being returned to an Omega service centre.

2 Likes

Currently in Yerevan, Armenia.
So that complicates things even more. But thanks for your help guys! Cheers!

Have a chat with Richard Askham (watchspotblog). He has either serviced or restored a number of my watches and can discuss with you what work you would like done (or not) with things like the hands, re-luming, cleaning etc…

One of my favourites that he worked on was an old Pax branded Monnin Chrono (Heuer 1614) that I bought not working and in a bit of a state from France. I wanted it to retain much of its patina but to be just tidied up a bit cosmetically and in perfect working order. Here it is before;

and after;

Great work, and the cost was pretty reasonable considering.

15 Likes

Just looked on Omega’s website and restoration starts at £2k, probably not an option.

I think a restoration is different to a service. In my case it was off to Omega Switzerland for a service, which did involve changing a number of internal parts and a polish, but the dial was kept original. All for <£500. I suspect restoration means repainting the dial and making it all seem like new.

You do get a report before they complete any work if I recall correctly

1 Like