252 Sound Signature

What server are you using?

Iā€™ll check when I go upstairs next, according to my network scan itā€™s called JEEVES thatā€™s obviously the name my IT guy called it.:grin:

1 Like

No new Uniti Core to replace the n-serve then. Did the nay-sayers turn you?

No I still only use it as a backup. I was just curious to see if I had to use it would it work. Think Iā€™ll always have a music server just may not be a Naim, but hey I had no intention to upgrade this year so I wouldnā€™t believe anything I said. :grin:

1 Like

The Taiko SGM extreme comes highly recommended at Ā£25kšŸ˜‰

Thanks @Gazza cause if I bought that I might have move in with you guys.

2 Likes

We have a cheap slow cooker.

1 Like

Itā€™s not just that itā€™s a WAV file thatā€™s the issue. Asset or Minim can handle standard WAV quite happily. A Naim rip puts the metadata into a packet alongside the music file, meaning that the server cannot read it. The purpose of converting to flac is to ebbed the metadata in the file and therefore make it readable by a non Naim server.

Itā€™s not possible to know what is happening in your case as we donā€™t know what Jeeves is running. Itā€™s probably a good idea for you to understand it more fully, because should your tech guy go under the proverbial bus you may be buggered.

Iā€™ll investigate tomorrow, but I guess my point is that my NAS is able to read the WAV files including how Naim folds the data so it appears not all NASā€™s are the same. As I said one of my instructions before we set it up was my back up music was important I guess he listened. While I like my IT guy and have no intentions of replacing him Iā€™m sure if he moved on someone else would be able to resolve it.

Itā€™s not the NAS thatā€™s the issue, itā€™s the upnp server software. It would be interesting to know what the IT guy did with the files, if anything, and what the upnp server actually is.

@anon4489532 @ChrisSU it a Synology DSM whatever that is.

Well, if they are all Unitiserve rips and the server is playing them fine, it may be the exception. Who knows?!

Yes theyā€™re all rips from the my UnitiServe. I have noticed 1 or 2 classical albums are a little confused but from what Iā€™ve read on other threads here thatā€™s not that unusual.

I suspect that the uPNP server of your Synology NAS is inferring metadata from the name of the track, the artist folder that the album is in, and the album name from the folder that the music files themselves are in.

Unless of course the server is also showing genres for the music, in which my wild guess is out. Audio Station is one of the Synology-provided packages in DSM (DSM being the name for the Synology Operating System).

It does show genre (not always correct but not that bad) so Iā€™m not sure why. Iā€™ll ask my IT guy when heā€™s here next week.

First step taken toward hearing the 300DRā€¦baby step, perhapsā€¦

Disconnected the SC2 so Superline is now on 252 Aux2, thus freeing up rack space for the 300PS if and whenā€¦

Assuming I get on with Aux2!

Initial listen on A2 - very nice indeed, perhaps indicating that my SC2 was in need of a service. Music sounds very ā€˜of a wholeā€™ as Iā€™ve seen it described in other threads. And is bass more present or are my ears going mad?

Hmmā€¦Aux2 for the next week or two, see what I think after that.

4 Likes

got the Nap 300 Sarum T cable and 252 plumbed in last night even remembered to destress the burndy by giving it a waggle (after reading it on here somewhere)

any other tips on cable dressing / placement to get best out of it ?

current rack is bamboo SVT with double shelf on top with the brass feet, also use support under my equipment metal ones that use cermic ball bearings which have made a positive difference on my components

rack order currently DAVE top shelf > 252 > Zenith mk3 > 300 head > supercap DR > 300 PS > ER & ER LPS

will try swapping out DAVE and 252 (tried this with the 282 and preferred DAVE on top but know 252 more sensitive)

not had proper listen yet just got it running on low volume will do that over course of next few days and report back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quick update as have had things running continuously on the nac252 since Thursday so should have about 100 hours on things now. Noticed things improving over that time with a good few ups and downs. But really seemed to click into place yesterday.

Also thanks to folks tips on set up destressing cables, kit positioning, etc as that also made a difference. Currently still have dave dac on top and 252 on second shelf but seems happy and is sounding really good so leaving for time being.

In terms of sound vs the 282 it is a different presentation not as forward, which I missed during the burn in but when things settled in the 252 is way ahead of the 282 in terms of micro detail, soundstage and a more natural/refined sound. I have noticed this most with some rock music courtesy of queenā€™s of stone age villans which sounds more like a live sound as could discern instruments more than ever before. Not best description but am pleased where sound is

Cheers Mat

14 Likes

I had the same all or nothing volume issue with my old arcam delta 90 amp, since 2015 Iā€™ve had Naim uniti 2 then n272, Iā€™m going to dem 282 soon as part of possible upgrade, but not looking forward to using 282 volume pot which seems like a retrograde step in term of ease of use. For Naim to change classic pre amp volume pot would a major headache for them IMO, I expect there are developments in the Naim RD pipeline