272 keeps dropping in and out of network

Windows

Ok so you are using these instructions?

https://naim.attachments.freshdesk.com/data/helpdesk/attachments/production/33065673050/original/Firmware%204.8%20Update%20Guide%20for%20PC%20Users.pdf

There is a link in there for the download site for the drivers and I checked just now and itā€™s working for me.

The download site is

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/CP210x_VCP_Windows.zip

I suggest try again. Maybe the site was down when you tried before.

1. The 272 (latest firmware) is dropping b/c it disappears from the app and does not come back unless I cycle the power on the 272.
  2. The 272 is connected by wire to the last cisco catalyst PD (POE) switch in the network. My Muso v1 is connected by wire to the first cisco catalyst PD switch in the network. And the first cisco catalyst switch is connected by wire to the Amplifi HD router (latest firmware) and the router is connected to the ISP modem. All network connections are via BJC Cat6A.
  3. Apple iPad Pro via wifi latest firmware.

I didnā€™t have this issue prior to the latest 272 firmware update and my current network settings/set up are unchanged from the previous firmware where I had no issues.

Known use case that causes the room to drop occurs while in multiroom and I choose a Hi Res file (by mistake) from my NAS or from Qobuz. In the past the file would just not play and after exiting multiroom I could get the track to play. Now, the app just drops the room entirely. Obviously I can avoid this by not choosing hires files while in multiroom but sometimes I forget.

I also will get a room drop from less obvious scenarios where Iā€™m in the app and I choose a track then quickly choose a different track. Or I choose a track from the NAS (asset upnp) and then quickly choose a radio station from a playlist (Minimserver upnp).

These room drops are mostly rare and avoidable but still a pita nonetheless and a new problem since the last fw update.

1 Like

I think it has been reported before that some BT hubs have 5GHz wifi and 2.4GHz wifi networks which communicate with the outside world but not with each other. I have experienced that myself. Check if your phone or tablet is connecting to wifi on the 5GHz network some times, usually when you are within line of sight of the hub. In that case, it may not see your 272 which is on the 2.4Ghz net or ethernet. You can turn off the 5Ghz network, putting your phone and 272 on interconnected networks, and you might find this is the solution.

I have had similar issues with my NDX, running latest firmware. I did try switching off router overnight, which apparently generates a new IP address from the ISP (got this from another thread on here). That totally sorted it for a week, then itā€™s started coming back. One thing that did seem to work for me and others on that thread was cycling inputs to iradio, which prompted the NDX to re-initialise and then come back online. Iā€™m using a Google home mesh network, with NDX plugged into one of the Google hubs, though I had the same issue previously when plugged directly into the router itself.

This issue was fixed months ago by a firmware update to the BT hub.

I have an earlier BT Home Hub 5 and it has not had a firmware update from BT for a couple of years. It would still show this problem, but I use whole home wifi disks to avoid it.

BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.08.25060-BT | Last updated 23/6/2020

A number of people here have had problems using Google mesh devices because they run a DHCP server which cannot be disabled, so if you also have one running on your router they will inevitably cause conflicts. Maybe something you could investigate as the issues you are experiencing could be symptoms of this issue.

I hadnā€™t thought about cycling the input to iRadio. Iā€™ll give that a shot next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ok, thank you. So this only happened with the latest firmware update.
Ok well that does suggest firmwareā€¦ essentially the 272 has to advertise to the network (and your app) that it is a UPnP player device. A specific protocol is used for this typically related to a multicast discovery (SDP). If these messages are interrupted by a deficiency in the home network equipment or app operating system (used to be quite common a few years ago and Android used to be more problematic ) or the host (the 272) is not sending the responses back or keeping membership of the discovery group (IGMP) then the host (the 272) will disappear from the app, even though itā€™s still on the network.

The fact this behaviour changed after the firmware upgrade suggests the firmware / deviceā€¦ as such you should progress with Naim support. Also the fact it works after a powercycle, possibly suggests group member ship methods or algorithm is not working as well as it should.

Underneath the covers to provide flexibility for different home networks, there are negotiated options, so your issue might not apply to everybody as they have different home networks.

Simon

1 Like

Itā€™s worth reading Steveā€™s post on this very point Simonā€¦

indeed thanks - I saw that - hence the recommendation to liaise with Naim support - and what goes on underneath the covers

Not sure if this is relevant to everyone, but since I turned on smart connect on my BT hub my problem seems resolved. Two days now and I have not experienced any problem. Iā€™ll report if anything else crops up i.e another dropout.

I think smart connect is something about WiFi connection set up rather than Ethernet, but if it worksā€¦ā€¦

Could be helping the Naim app to ipad staying connected.

Yes I wondered that, but I think itā€™s the first connection ie an easier way of providing security credentials.

FWIW my NDSā€™ network connection seems much more stable after switching from Android to iOS for app control (Naim app for iRadio; Audirvana for Qobuz & local streaming).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.