272 set up

God I’m going to sound like a diva now , but Spotify doesn’t sound that great , have to wait for wife to bring laptop home later to do firmware upgrade

How would Spotify sound great? It’s still MP3 crap, isn’t it?

TIDAL is fine through the 272 I have found so you can look forward to that once you have updated the firmware. The 272 is a great bit of kit! I kept mine when I upgraded the main system to 222. Enjoy

3 Likes

What lead do I need to connect to laptop :see_no_evil:

Last time I looked, the NAC-N 272 didn’t have a USB input, so unless you have a USB DAC or USB to coax/optical converter, don’t think you can…….

Maybe connect the analogue out (headphone Jack) to one of the 272’s analogue inputs, but as it’s not a line level output I wouldn’t recommend it……

ATB, J

Just out of curiosity, why did you keep your 272 when you upgraded to the 222?

Yes, you are a diva!:rofl: Just kidding, Spotify doesn’t sound good on my 272 either, but that’s because of Spotify, not the 272. Run Tidal.

For a firmware update?

The update port on the 272 is mini USB, different to the USB input ports.

You might find this instruction video useful:

2 Likes

:+1:

Yes , I’ll do update tomorrow after work , was going to do it today but realised I didn’t have the right mini usb cable :see_no_evil: be glad to just get it up and running :joy::joy::joy:been 3 long weeks

1 Like

You have to get an mini usb DATA cable.

1 Like

And you’ll probably need to install a device driver for the Naim box - instructions are included in the upgrade instructions on the Naim support page.

ATB, J

:see_no_evil: what happened to plug and play

They invented that later! I think you don’t need the special driver if you are using a Mac, but you certainly do with a PC.

I dropped off my 272 at my dealer when it needed updating, quick and easy :grin:

:joy::joy:

Not for stuff that obscure, same for both Mac and PC.

Best of luck with the update, if you follow the Naim Guide EXACTLY, it works, at least it did for me :grinning:.

ATB, J

I has to install it on my Mac(s), the driver appears to be for the Naim end.

No, I didn’t understand it either.

ATB, J

It’s all alien to me , I can build a house but don’t ask me to turn computer on :joy::joy::joy:

I do understand it! You need a fairly late Mac OS, I forget which one introduced the driver. I use PC myself for this job. Btw the point of this driver is to make your PC’s USB port a virtual serial port.

And the drivers are at the PC or Mac end. You don’t need anything extra at the Naim end.

1 Like