282 + HiCap DR + HiCap2?

Thanks for the technical insight. If it’s left and right then it’s clearly a total non starter.

Will have to see what my bank balance looks like in January…

This question about one or two hicaps have been asked many times before on the old forum and even in the ‘other’ forum. Guess what, you will never have a definite answer to this it seems.
Another avenue would be to get rid of the hicap + other unused equipment and get a SupercapDR. Problem solved for years to come…

Tried this

Not recommended - strange imbalance in sound

Use Single HC or single SC instead

I even tried using two HC DR - one serial 38xx one serial 41xx - did not work well too , perhaps due to age difference ?

Even the SCDR divides opinion on the 282.

G

This is another assertion one hear from time to time in the forum. How could a better and lower noise power supply imbalance the sound of a preamplifier?

As I understand it, a power supply does not ‘force push’ current to circuits in the preamplifier but the preamp just use what’s needed.

Not sure this helps as I still don’t understand it!

It is yes.
And there are no ground loops with two Hicaps either. :blush:

Bang goes that test! The CB HICAP won’t power the 2nd upgrade on the 282 or power the NAXO - I can hear a vague transformer noise when I connect it to power and turn it on - no light on the front which I think the CB HICAPs had. Drat.

Could be dead tants. The LED assembly, if original, is a common failure. So fixed with a service though :blush:

1 Like

May be subjective but it seems a darned sight heavier than the olive HICAPs…

That may be the H & F transformer. :blush:

1 Like

My thoughts precisely - need to open them up and have a peek, assuming I’ll be able to tell.

All CBs and early Olives are H&F.

There are plenty of previous threads both here and on the old forum on this.
I found a 2nd DR Hicap to be a major improvement over one on my 282. A SCDR gave minimal extra. Others have had a different experience…

I wouldn’t do a second HC. There are differing opinions about how much of an upgrade it really is in terms of value for money. I thought about that, and instead sold my HC DR and bought a secondhand SC DR. That was fortuitous because more recently a 2016 252 came up for a decent price. As I already had a SC DR that made it easier to upgrade.

If the longterm plan is to move from 282 to 252 the case for a SCDR is obviously enhanced…

I usually find the long-term upgrade is NOT in the plan…but I end up there anyway!

G

That’s my problem. I really wasn’t planning to be at 252/300, but have arrived there anyway. It’s a good place to sop as end game though, and now I have no choice.

1 Like

Even if there are no plans for a 252 a SCDR on the 282 is a very considerable improvement more resolution and greater staging.

1 Like

That it truly is. I had my 282/SCDR for months before I changed to a 252.