3 stack Fraim system

The ND5XS2 is very very good by itself to be honest. Not as good as NDS but connectivity is so easy.

And sound is pretty good as it is. Really can’t wait for NDS to used as DAC and 555PS all set up.

It’s cost a fair bit to get things sorted out but this is a good move.

4 Likes

Let’s hope you dont find the NDS isn’t any better sounding as a dac only when you get it back and all sorted, as that really would be a bummer lol.
But it’s got to be much better, hasn’t it, to be worth the much larger price tag that the NDS, plus power supply cost.

1 Like

The NDS is much better. Has a lot more depth and smoother presentation. Much more coherent. With my system I would say it does expose some weaknesses in the ND5XS2.

The ND5XS2 sounds more like my old ND5XS but with better connectivity. Having Qobus gives alot more detail as well, so it’s better for that.

I wouldn’t be happy with an ND5XS2 bare in my set up. But great to have a streamer again. A streamer really is the best overall versatile source.

4 Likes

I use Qobuz, I’m on my second anual membership atm. I much preffered Qobuz to Tidal.

Much better selection of suggested music I like on Qobuz.

Tidal just seems to push trap and hip hop type music in it’s suggestions.

1 Like

Same experience with NDS vs NDX2.

2 Likes

I was more joking, Dan.
The NDS dac is still great, and now, with the much better streamer card from the ndx5, it can not be much different to the ND555.

Enjoy

1 Like

What about the Naim Dac? Would that be even better?

1 Like

I bloody well hope it’s all worth it Dunc. Buying Fraim base and shelves has cost a small fortune to accomodate an extra box. Haven’t even got the DC1 cable yet! I have another cable I can use as interim.

The ND5XS2 is good but NDS is in a different league altogether. I believe it cost £8000 new plus another £7000 for 555PS. So it’s a £15k streamer versus a £2500 all in one box.

Hoping the project is worth it.

1 Like

The NDS makes use of suspended chassis and 2 burndies so should be comparable to ND555.

The Ndac makes use of one burndy but would be similar but slightly different.

1 Like

I hope your right Dunc. When I pick up NDS from dealer I want them to do a comparison of ND5XS2 into NDS with 555PS vs new 333 with 300 PS.

Be interested to see what works best. I don’t think they have an ND555 at Audio T Brighton. Their NDX2 is going back as well.

1 Like

Personally I think NDS should better than Ndac and certainly different. But it could sound different or worse. Lol. Anyhow, it makes use of the NDS and I rather like the box ! It’s a good looking machine.

Not having any experience with Ndac I can’t say either way for sure. It’s a popular piece of kit and great value.

Just to clarify, as I’ve got lost. Which are you using as a streamer, and which are you using as a dac?

1 Like

It’s worth remembering that the ND5XS2 has just made a traumatic journey and needs to chill out and warm up for a few days before it hits peak form, by which time hopefully your NDS will have arrived.

1 Like

Streaming transport ND5XS2. DAC NDS. PS 555. Hope this makes sense.

1 Like

I connected it yesterday and had it all plugged in. I went away on work detail last night and came back and set it up this afternoon…so it has over 24 hours already! NDS will be the killer!

2 Likes

So I am now playing NAS Zoneripper into ND5XS2. Connection was in seconds, all albums available instantly.

With NDS it would take 20 minutes which was why I was so dissatisfied with the old streaming platform.

Now this is great news. It doesn’t sound as good. Come on Naim, get my NDS screen sorted and send it back quick quick quick!

1 Like

I am curious @Richard.Dane, that reel to reel machine you have looks huge! Can you tell us the weight in pounds? I am very curious, and happy to see that the Fraim glass can support such an impressive machine.

1 Like

I guess it’s a Sony TC-765 weight 27 kg,
a Nap 500 head unit 25 kg.

2 Likes

Dan,do you see that in the picture of Richard Dane’s system,he has a USB stick in his nDac :wink:

1 Like

Yes, NDS has USB as does ND5XS2 and most streamers.

I have a CD ripping NAS. Working really well with ND5XS2, you should get one.