300 series vs 500 OC , listening and drifting

Still no one to have made a listening and compared both ?

@Gazza , I think to remember that you enjoy going often to Signals. Don’t they propose such comparison ? Second hand 500 or 552 , serviced, must cost similar money than 332 , or 350. So they should be people wondering what take next.
Personally I made my opinion, but couldn’t compare both the same day. And curious also about others experiences.

1 Like

I went to the 200 and then the 300 launch. I listened to the 200 series with a 300 psu vs the old 252/SC/300. For me, i much preferred the sound of the latter……which is more expensive.
I have not listened to the new 300 series vs the old 500 series as it was not part of the launch. I could waste their time and ask for the comparison……but they know, and i know i will never buy the kit?

3 Likes

Too busy drifting :wink:

1 Like

Please, waste their time and fill this thread :joy:

1 Like

Probably that :+1:
But some here, instead of driving straight to their home, can drift a little and stop at a dealer shop too.

1 Like

For people in the north of England, Acoustica has organised a show of the 300 series components with a range of speakers this weekend at the Doubletree hotel in Chester.

Anyone who wants to hear the NC 300 series in action is welcome to attend.

I am going with two friends on the Saturday.

Really looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Ask them to connect a 552 / 500 also, if possible :hugs:

That’s a long shot. :grinning:

1 Like

The 332/300/350 Combo is half the retail price of the 500 Series so I doubt they would do it

Today I had a listen to an NDX 2/332/NC 250 system into Spendor A7s at my dealer’s, and compared this to a 222/300/250 system. The former sounded quite odd / weird and not what I expected. The latter was much more coherent and musical (but perhaps a little less detailed).

Neither of us were sure why this was though, as on paper the former ought to wipe the floor with the latter. However, we didn’t listen to the former for that long, so I wouldn’t take this as gospel, and a more thorough assessment as to why this was so would be needed. Odd though.

Unfortunately (for me!) removing the 300 from the 222 did take away some of the magic. It sounded less dynamic and realistic, although still a sweet sound. Pity I can’t afford all 3 boxes right now.

Next step will be a home demo of the 222/250 with my speakers. Maybe with the 300 too, it all depends on SWMBO.

1 Like

Strange indeed. Does the NPX300 PS have that much effect?

My dealer hinted that there as a loss of synergy when mixing and matching NC and classic. Not heard such a combination but maybe that was the issue?

1 Like

Interesting. Using my current setup I was hoping to slide in a NAC332

Like I said, just my dealers hint. Need to listen

1 Like

It did in my set-up when I went from 252DR/NC250 to 332/300/NC250. Out of curiosity I removed the 300 and everything just went flat. It made a huge difference on the 332.

It was the first time the 332 was using it’s own power supply so it very well could get much better since it was cold.

I would however, try the 222 or 332 without the NPX300 first because I don’t think you can go back after hearing what it does.

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly how it felt removing the NPX 300 from the NSC 222 - the music seemed flat. I think it’s a case of when adding one you might not notice as much of a difference as removing one.

Maybe they just don’t play nice together?

In a way I was glad to be disappointed since I have now discounted that more expensive upgrade route!

1 Like

To my ears in that demo, yes. It was quite noticeable when it was removed. Sadly, I may now need to include the NPX 300 in my ever more expensive upgrade plans.

2 Likes

@frenchrooster
Before I bought my system (see profile) I had a two week home demo of the complete system. Why are you not able to do the same if you are so curious about the new 300 series. Ok it is stretching it to ask for OC 500 series kit for comparison
I doubt that there are many on here will document such a comparison

The 555 has a big impact but I had my 222/250 for almost a month before bringing it into the mix. I suspect some bias gets into the assessment if your first impression of 222/250 is with a PS and not the other way around. The 222/250 sound great out of the box and get really good after a few days of burning in. It’s not likely I would enjoy going back to the 222/250 now but I suspect my ears would re-adjust after time. It’s interesting to hear the comments on SQ with mixed OC/NC systems.

1 Like