500 system right channel not working

Yes, if they were to get stuck then it would be most likely early on and usually within the warranty period (luckily!).

2 Likes

my ND 555 is 2 yrs oldā€¦

1 Like

Thats a bummer.

@davidf I hope it is the 555. I sent back my 555 thinking that was it, it wasnā€™t. Then Tyler (our Tyler) just sent down a 500 and a 552 to make sure we could get it fixed. It was the last thing we tried, the 552. One thing you might want to consider, if the relay on the 555 is bad have them replace both, not just the one. Itā€™s cheap compared to all the heartache. Iā€™m not an expert at all, but if one is bad chances are the other one could go down also.

1 Like

My 2016 252 relay got stuck about five years after manufacture (12/2021), and Iā€™m the third owner, so I had rights to warranty claim. Fortunately, Focal-Naim NA repaired it free of charge.

1 Like

Richard, to present an alternative view, if Naim know which batch of relays have issues (or may have issues), surely the obligation is either to:

1- recall and address
2- honour ā€˜free replacementā€™ within a reasonable overall period ā€“ say up to 5Yā€™s?

I know puddles muddy with things like this and Naim are an innocent party in this (with no recourse back to the manu/supplier?) but their name is on the kit.

Are all these dodgy components banned from the new classic series or does it use different ones

I asked Steve Sells on the new classic threadā€¦ā€¦they have been designed outā€¦ā€¦not used.

2 Likes

Strange but they never used to be an issue or am I wrong in that they were always a problem

I had problems with all my PS power switches. They became ā€œstickyā€. All were replaced with the last service.

According to the new classic 222 Production sheet it still has Reed Relays.

My 552 relay failed just a few months from newā€¦ā€¦ during the early days of COVID. It took a while to diagnose as I only had phone contact with my dealer and neither of us could quite believe such a failure in a new 552.

It was dealt with very promptly and my dealer/Naim arranged courier collection/return from my address as the dealers premises were closed due to the lockdown in place at the time.

1 Like

Steve Sells explained in detail in the mammoth New Classic thread how itā€™s completely different in the new kit.

3 Likes

Naim has explained many times here that the problem was that the manufacturer didnā€™t accept that there was an early failure issue which started to regularly appear in recent production and Naim couldnā€™t find another supplier that made relays that sounded so good.

But Naim have designed the problem out now. If I remember rightly, the old design was a changeover relay whereas the new design shunts the signal path to earth if itā€™s not needed.

1 Like

So the official NSC 222 Product sheet is wrong then.

No you didnā€™t read my post properly.

To put it another way, the reed relays are no longer directly in the signal path. And anyway they are different more robust ones which is OK because they donā€™t carry signals. But maybe @110dB could tell us whether I remembered that correctly.

1 Like

Possibly so but reading the product specs old and new ā€œ Reedā€ the same.
Iā€™d be dubious about anyone admitting there was a problem that needed engineering out it wouldnā€™t make all the posters with problems now very happy.
My system in the future too.

You should have a chat with @Gigantor. You sound just right for each other.

4 Likes

Tell me where my observations are wrong.?
Iā€™ve no idea who your talking about. :thinking:

Never mind. He was unpleasant about what the Naim designer said about his work too.

1 Like