500 to 500DR?

Had my CDP555PS, 552 and 500 all DR’d over a two year period. The 500 was by far the biggest improvement. On each occasion you get a more natural rendition of music. There’s less noise, better micro dynamics and better timing etc. I loved my non-DR’d 500 but I would not go back. Until you hear a 500DR in full flight you’ll not know what you are missing.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.
The 500 to 500dr is by far the best dr upgrade, its so much better than its brother, its like a different amp.
Much more like a 500 series should be, and better in every way. Simple no brain needed upgrade, it makes the non 500dr look lacking.

5 Likes

For sure there are extra details etc, but I prefer the musical whole with non DR.

3 Likes

Interesting @Igel
So I made the right decisions not to do the DR upgrades as part of my last service and recapping :rofl:

1 Like

Yes,I think so.

As my 555 and NAC are both DR it’s an itch I’m going to have to scratch I feel. It’s a matter of waiting for the right time…

I’m almost starting to wonder if I should have gone for a complete olive system with a 52 and 135s instead of buying a 252 and 300 in 2004.
I heard such a system (passive SL2), ok with a 250 not the 135s with a CDS3 which was rather good

3 Likes

What’s wrong about now🤣

Timing is everything :ok_hand:

It seems you’ve made your subconscious decision, which is to wait until someone else has bought it, which relieves you of making a conscious decision not to buy. In which case best just forget it and close this thread. Otherwise go buy it now or you will have to live with regret.

If it were me I’d simply be enquiring directly of Naim as to any likelihood of their reinstating a DR-ing service, and if yes assess the cost of doing that to my existing amp against the cost of the one for sale and realistic expected return on selling the one I already have. If no then it is simply a question of which sounds better and whether I think the difference is worth the money, which I could do by auditioning.

2 Likes

Yes but you don’t want to be a PRAT and regret it though :wink:

1 Like

Has Dunc’s sold now or are you waiting for the seller to soften!!!?

Phil

It’s not a price thing, I think that’s fair.

I know opinions differ but I’d want to get a service done straight away so I can forget about it for ten years. My 555DR is only a few years old and my 552DR was only serviced last year so I’d be all set.

It’s the buying it then waiting a few months that is putting me off TBH. I think I’ll wait for a newer/more recently serviced model. Age doesn’t bother me at all, just condition and servicing.

3 Likes

Just snapped up a Powerline for my 500. Maybe that will ease the itch for a while…

3 Likes

That’s a very good upgrade, in my opinion.At your level a Powerigel Plus is something to consider in the future, I think.

1 Like

Powerline on the power amp I definitely find effective.

1 Like

There is a 2022 500DR for sale at the same place as the other 500, 8k more though!

1 Like

How much is the service on the 500dr?

£1800

1 Like

That would be for both units, my old one doesn’t need a service yet, but the power supply will be due one in 2 years time, the amp itself doesn’t need a service