500DR system salvation

When I moved house a couple of years ago I only looked at houses that had concrete floors for that very reason.

2 Likes

Hello Super Dan, I hope you are keeping well and everything is coming together well for your planned operations. So pleased that you are enjoying your Premier League system you deserve it. I keep hearing you mention Russian techno so I thought I would give it a try via Spotify to give it a go. I mainly listen to Prog Rock so itā€™s a bit out of my comfort zone :joy: however I have to say itā€™s a lot better than I thought it would be, Iā€™m quiet enjoying it to be honest, itā€™s probably good driving music. In the past you have kindly commented on my daughters cancer treatment, Iā€™m pleased to say this morning she rang the bell to signify the completion of her chemo and radiotherapy. I hope you are soon in a similar position celebrating your recovery, the very best to you my friend :+1:.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve got the carpet spikes. Itā€™s all set up and is pretty level. Spikes are sinking more into the carpet now. Very pleased with the sound from the speakers. Itā€™s a big upgrade.

System is rocking this afternoon since I got back from work. Playing 101.ru NRJ Techno.

Less distortion now so can play even louder :muscle:

I think a couple of bass traps may help though. A job for another time.

2 Likes

Hey Dougie,

Thatā€™s wonderful news about your daughter. The local oncology department are a bit slow to sort everything out. Will give yhem the benefit of doubt at the moment. Guys, London have been spot on for prep before Lung op. Waiting authorisation from my oncologist for the go ahead.

What will be will be. I have pushed as hard as I can. Letā€™s see if they can make it happen for the booked date Thursday 3rd.

I listen to alot of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, electronic music and rock music on vinyl. Mainly Russian Techno radio station on ND555, plus my ripped CDs and Qobuz and Spotify.

I like Peter Gabrielā€™s IO album, Billy Idol, some Joe Bonamassa, ELO, Jeff Wayne, Muse, Depeche, New Order and so on.

Not as keen on Jazz and Classical but do listen to it every now and then.

2 Likes

Hi Super Dan, itā€™s awkward I realise but if you think you have been forgotten about please keep badgering them. Sadly Oncology departments are very busy we know. Letā€™s hope the date of the 3rd is honoured and you can get on with your treatment.

I love your choice and variation of music, I enjoy Kraftwerk and Gary Numan in the electronic genre.

Itā€™s funny you mention you donā€™t like jazz, Iā€™m not a big fan but I have some Naim label groups like Neil Cowley, jazz music is usually very well recorded so it may be worth playing some late in the evening while having a wee dram, your system will sound amazing :blush:.

1 Like

I have been pummelling the Oncology department. Been contacting them all the time. Phone, email everything. Gonna leave it until friday and see what they come up with !

I am not afraid of complaining or kicking off either! I will do whatā€™s necessary but need to give them a couple of days.

As for music. I like what I like. My brother stayed with me earlier on this year and he played lots of stuff before I had the ND555, 552 and Klimax LP12. He loved the system then. I liked some of what he played. He likes spanish flamenco music and lots of jazz and playing my system ridiculously loud listening to Nightclubbing Grace Jones. I liked alot of it, but then revert to what I like!

The Techno stuff just hits me in a certain way I like. I used to be a big raver back in the day and itā€™s about energy and drive. Drive to be fearless and strong that I like about it. Itā€™s quite aggressive and fast and makes me feel good if I am in the mood.

But then I will swap over and watch TV and have some dinner. And then maybe some vinyl more chill out kind of music before bed.

2 Likes

Gary Numan, Kraftwerk and Joy Division are awesome and the great precursors to the likes of the bands I listen to.

Can someone remind me please of the streaming Russian techno station. I might give it a whirl for fun :flushed:

2 Likes

101.ru NRJ Techno

1 Like

ā€œCuriosity killed the catā€ Mike :rofl:

1 Like

I think we are very similar Dan, I like my house music loud and then I can completely switch and go to downtempo electronic music or anything really as long as it is good!

1 Like

Hey Dan, I know you are happy with your system and not looking to upgradeā€¦butā€¦I just saw a pair of
Utopia Scala v2 at Tom Tom for what seems like a very good price!!! DO IT, DO IT, DO IT :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ps. if you had not noticed, I frequently scour HiFi sites for used deals when I am bored sitting at my desk working. Soā€¦quite often!

3 Likes

If you donā€™t and they are still available when I can afford it after I xmas, I might well buy them!!!

2 Likes

Actually itā€™s more 500DR standby.
Hope you will stay strong and go easy through this @Dan_M .
:fist_left::fist_left::fist_left:

1 Like

That is a very good price for those speakers. For me it would be a case of buying them and then selling on my Sopra 2s.

Itā€™s a tempting proposition at that price and I have heard them at Naim HQ and they are very good speakers.

The downside is their weight but I understand they come with wheels!

I will have a think about it.

I am extremely happy with my speakers at the moment!

2 Likes

I should find out about my operation date tomorrow and it is imminent. So maybe timing for buying new speakers not great!

And not great time for selling as once I have op I will be unable to move heavy speakers around. I suppose I could get mates in to help! :rofl:

Sometimes I think us guys on here are complete lunatics and go to crazy lengths for their systems.

When I got Sopra 2s in my house a mate let me down and I brought them in myself by walking the boxes in. I had previously hacked down my sofa and disposed of it to make room for 3 racks and loose a sofa.

And now looking at logistics of getting Focal Scalas. I have a medium sized Citroen Despatch and the Sopras only just fitted in as the van is partially racked out!

5 Likes

I completely agree, it is crazy! I know you have said before you are happy; but, like you, I was amazed at the price. Especially for tom tomā€¦

I just measured my #1s against the scalaā€™s size and whilst the scala are not too much taller or wider, they are a LOT deeper. No way my mrs would not notice the change :joy:

Joking aside, stick with what you have; but I thought it worth sharing. Also, wishing you the very best of luck and positive vibes re the op news tomorrow :+1:

1 Like

Tom Tom have a van and Iā€™m sure theyā€™d deliver if you asked nicelyā€¦. They may even take yours away in part ex.

3 Likes

Need to understand why they are so cheap! Whatā€™s wrong with them?

They are excellent speakers and cost Ā£35k new. They are version 2s as well and apparently in excellent condition. Have seen them for Ā£20k used but mint.

1 Like

Theyā€™ll do a part ex. Mine are immaculate but they will want to make money on them. Letā€™s see what they say. Nothing to loose for asking!

1 Like