500DR system salvation

My thoughts too; but tom tom are trustworthy sellers and they say they are in excellent condition on the site. Maybe the owner wants a quick sale as is trading in?

1 Like

If I was going to do the deal I would have to take a bit of a hit on my Sopra 2s. I think I paid Ā£7k or Ā£8k for them mint. Have had them 15 months.

I reckon they are 10 years old. When the version 2s came out they were Ā£19k.

Ah, that makes more sense then. Still a good price. No 2ā€™s seem to go for 6-7k on the bay from what I have seen and there is no sellers fee anymore remember :+1: Although there have been quite a few pairs of No.2s on there for a while, including a concrete pair like yours, so it could take a whileā€¦trade in probably the easiest option if you really wanted to do it.

1 Like

It is very tempting; but maybe the best option is to stick to the No.2s. If it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix it etc. :+1:

1 Like

Read the posts out of order and just saw this. Go for it then! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Itā€™s tempting. I have to factor in my future after ops. Being self employed means I wonā€™t be earning any money while recovering so spending after part ex say Ā£5k right now maybe isnā€™t a sensible choice.

Those speakers are really big as well. Not taller than Sopra 2s but wider and deeper.

Those are the cons.

I have the money alright. The speakers are better than Sopra 2s and I have considered them before. So there are pros and cons. And of course they would be very enjoyable to listen to while recovering :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :muscle:

I hear you, I went independent just before the first lock down in covid times and whilst I have never looked back, it keeps you on your toes financiallyā€¦buying hifi is the last thing I should be doing; but, like you, I cannot help it!

Why donā€™t you see what deal they offer and then decide? If favourable consider it; but if not, wait until you get better. My guess they will have them a while as not too many people are in the market for the top end of the range/will see them for sale :+1:

1 Like

I will mull it over and I should get my first of two op dates tomorrow. Got alot going on mentally and emotionally at the moment.

Sometimes best thing is a positive destraction. Will have a chat with them and see what they say!

1 Like

This is an old thread but a few posts in shows the difference in size between the Sopra and Scala, thats if Iā€™ve got the Focal models right :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

These are Version 2 to not the latest version which is 3.

Just as a ā€œweeā€ distraction Statement comes on wheels as well :wink:

My very best to you Dan

1 Like

Lol, I knew I would be wrong!

1 Like

That is a really useful pic and definitely something to consider Dan as they will take up a lot more space. I do think the colour of these ones are a lot nicer though and will likely blend in better.

2 Likes

Youā€™re not wrong they are basically the same speaker. Version 3 has bi-amplification, denser acoustic materials and a number of other improvements on version 2.

The Scala 2s are meant to have better control of bass than Sopra 2s and Sopra 3s. They are an upgrade on what I have and would sound better.

Itā€™s a good deal and thanks for your link.

2 Likes

When you mentioned that the Scalas are the same height as the Sopras I was intrigued and stumbled upon that old thread illustrating both speakers side by side.
I guess the Scala cabinet size hasnā€™t changed with the model variations?

1 Like

I did a bit of research and it seems to be the width (c.10cm more) and the depth (c. quite a lot more!). Iā€™ve always been intrigued to know what the difference between the Sopra 2s and 3s are???

1 Like

Itā€™s the same I think. We listened to the Scala Evo 3s at Naim HQ.

They had them everywhere, in Statement test room as well. Maybe they had Scala 2s as well. My room would handle the size fine and I am sure they would sound good.

2 Likes

Gonna be able to handle more power and better bass as you go up the range. Less distortion with better bass control. Better acoustic damping inside speaker.

1 Like

Ah yes I remember them now playing low in the Statement room, also a pair in one of the corridors.

1 Like