500DR system salvation

And they had them in listening room where we heard all the different systems.

1 Like

Some Russian Techno music, are your windows reinforced

2 Likes

Might need to board up windows and use acoustic panels in whole room! Noticed Wickes are now selling them! :rofl:

2 Likes

So the Focals your potentially going to purchase are the same model that were playing in the Naim demo room, if so they look bigger than the ones in the Statement room.

1 Like

So reading a few reviews. Although Scala 2s arenā€™t latest version they are meant to be better than Sopra 2s and Sopra 3s. Some who have owned them all say head and shoulders above them both.

So the speakers will be signifucantly better than what I have and are a very good price. Scala 3s are looking at Ā£20k used. These are half that, so seems like a good deal to me. Will have a chat with them.

1 Like

The ones they had at Naim HQ I think are all version 3. These ones at Tom Tom are version 2. Same size though.

1 Like

I was checking everything out so they were using Focal Scalas everywhere.

Good effort. Who needs a sofa anyway?

G

2 Likes

Wow those Scalas were immense from the excellent 222/250 to the Statement

1 Like

Itā€™s basically same speaker the version 2, but not quite as good. They will be a fair bit better than what I have. And will certainly have more oomph for Russsian Techno!

2 Likes

I have one sofa that sits 3. Just means guests have to sit on the floor sometimes!

2 Likes

I really hope you get them Dan! I felt bad letting you know given your upcoming ops; but if you can do a trade in at a decent price, then why not and as you say, it would be great to enjoy them as you get better :+1:

1 Like

Letā€™s see how my meeting with surgeon goes tomorrow. Thatā€™s priority. I have work commitments as well. Maybe I can find some time to go up to TomTom audio and have a listen before the op.

But I am quite keen. As for colour red goes fine with grey wallpaper and neutral brown carpet. Will look cool I reckon and certainly different.

2 Likes

Agreed on the colour and good luck tomorrow!

1 Like

Iā€™ve slowly come to the conclusion that the only upgrades that really/actually make a difference are new/additional boxes, speakers and speaker cables. I know many will disagree but that is my experience. I just swapped my Sarum T DIN for violet and back again and Iā€™m seriously scratching my head on whether there is a differenceā€¦

1 Like

You are the hifi finder! Iā€™m glad you let me know. Itā€™s a wonderful distraction!

And also sometimes you have to look at life and laugh at the things you do. If I got those Scala 2s just before the op it would be hilarious! :rofl:

1 Like

Speakers make a huge huge difference. More than interconnects and internet cables.

They affect the overall sound. I use my Sopra 2s with a Ā£500 AV amp as well via a Beresford switch. And the sound is so much better than Focal Aria 936s with AV amp. So even with a poorer amp good speakers can sound pretty good.

Better pre and power amps, better sources and power supplies.

Cables can sometimes make a difference but not to same degree as speakers and boxes, agreed.

1 Like

ā€˜Imperial Redā€™. Very nice, Dan.

G

1 Like

In that case, I am really pleased I let you know! I think I got it from my mum, she was always great at finding a bargain :heart:

Agreed on the speakers and boxes. That is the only place I am spending my money on again in the future :+1:

1 Like

Worth getting powerlines. The 552 DR and 500DR and 555PSDR all come with them. I have about 9 now. Itā€™s all worth it but focus on boxes and speakers first. Get the main stuff done. You have I believe a superb system now anyhow! Maybe get some floor standers for your house music mate!

1 Like