500dr

Haha, not so much of the young man :joy:

2 Likes

Canā€™t say Iā€™d noticed

:lying_face:

1 Like

Just donā€™t tell @anon17458420. He will tell you off. And then start on me again! Saying itā€™s my fault. :thinking:

If you wait a little longer, that may be released soon in DGā€™s Original Source series.

But probably THE best recording of a Beethoven symphony ever.

2 Likes

Hi @Stu299

How are you getting on with your 500DR?
Iā€™ve had mine nearly a week now & itā€™s just starting to sound really good.
The Dr differences are starting to come through now.
Definitely wider sound stage.
Definition is slightly better on instruments.
Very pleased.
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark

Iā€™m having new flooring downstairs so my lounge is full of stuff from the other rooms and I canā€™t get in it :slightly_frowning_face:

So I havenā€™t listened for a few days. Yes wider soundstage was the first thing that struck me. Also deeper and faster/better timing.

Iā€™m really missing it!

4 Likes

But just think how great itā€™s going to be when everything is back to normal! :+1:

1 Like

I think thatā€™s why Naim stops DR upgrade,it make the transformer buzz,all DR boxes I have had has buzzed much more than the non DR.

I think completely unrelated. Iā€™m not aware of DR having any bearing on this.

2 Likes

I know several people having trouble with DR units buzzing much more than non DR.
But if thatā€™s why Naim stops to put DR in old unitsā€¦only Naim can tell of course .

I think that maybe a small sample issue thatā€™s just your experience.

I have not observed a DR versus non-DR difference on that issue when it has been discussed previously.

If they were that worried about it they wouldnā€™t use DR in their new products either, but they do. Absolutely no effect on hum in my experience, other than that on balance, the later, DRā€™d boxes Iā€™ve owned have still hummed, but not as much as earlier non-DR stuff, so if anything my experience is the opposite of what you are suggesting.

None of my DR boxes hummed. My 250.2 had a bit of a hum, not too bad.

Thatā€™s good to hear :+1:

Pleased to be of service Mr T.

1 Like

My 555 dr was humming before. Not since I upgraded my powerblock and power wall cable.

1 Like

Which boxes hum or not seem totally random from my experience. But it also seems like cable dressing can affect this to some point.

1 Like

@Igel Hum is in my experienced fixed with better house wiring. I had very noisy boxes and moved house to a new build and they were silent. That was NON DR boxes. Never had any hum with DR boxes so opposite of what you have said in my experience.

French @frenchrooster fixed his hum with a better mains cable and block. IMO the boxes are not at fault, the design is deliberately sensitive because it makes a better PS. I donā€™t think a dedicated ring would fix the hum its likely downstream from your house as well.

1 Like

I found the oppositeā€¦all the new dr equipment is greatā€¦its just that big old Nap500 transformerā€¦its a grumpy old gitā€¦

My 555ps was the only box Iā€™ve had that in recent years that hummed. After it was DRed it was nice and quiet.