552 preamp

I too have just disconnected the cheapo cable between my ND555 and 552 I was using for system automation. A definite improvement, and more than subtle. I don’t think the degradation a cheap and nasty system automation cable causes to SQ should be underestimated. A hot tip for those who, like me, are using the cheapest system automation cable they could find. Whip it out and post your findings here!

I too would be interested which cable Chris is using for system automation but I suspect no cable (and system automation disabled) will be the optimum for SQ, as long as you don’t mind using a remote for volume control.

1 Like

If there’s such a difference, Naim should document this and not write essentially that it’s not important

However, inside behind the socket it’s nothing but an unshielded cheap wire, anyway. And of course no connection to any signal parts

I guess I’ll have to try when home

I would be interested to hear your impressions when the system automation cable is removed. Is yours a cheap one?

I guess this cable is just another route for noise to be transmitted/induced, with variable effects depending on the kit it connects and the electrical ‘environment’.

Yes, cheap. My dealer said it does not matter, and I believe the majority of related posts on the forum said so as well, although I knew that some members say it matters.

Not sure if I can say much because it was a hard, hard week at work and I am totally beat, and my weekend will be busy as well. But I will try and anyway it was on my list of things I still wanted to try. Though I wanted to wait with all of this for the new speakers :slight_smile: 2 or 3 weeks :slight_smile:

Yep, definitely wait until you feel up for it.

For me, I didn’t have to listen too hard though!

Oohh…I missed the fact you are getting new speakers. What are you going for? They’ll have to go some to beat MA Golds! :wink:

I only mentioned it once while hijacking another thread, but I will post more when they are here. Indeed, I listened to several speakers including Kanta and Sopra 3, and was happy when I returned back home to my MAs! Though I did find their betters after all.

See here and the following posts,

and pix of the home demo here:

The website is Sehring Audio dot com. Currently only in German (new website soon also in English) but it translates perfectly if you copy the URL into translate.google.com

Ah yes, I remember seeing your post now. Very interesting looking speakers.

I posted some thoughts on this years ago…as long ago as the old forum.

G

1 Like

Indeed Graeme, it has been in the back of my mind for some time and your recent post above prompted me to whip out my crap system automation cable.

Glad I did and thanks for reminding me.

1 Like

G

2 Likes

Like the love child of my MAs and Sopras :wink:

2 Likes

Hide the Rizlas :grin:

Berlin style :wink:

1 Like

Here’s the RAM cable I purchased. It was recommended by AV Options here in the USA. It is properly shielded and did not degrade the sound of my 552 like the cheap cable I started with. I was surprised by how badly the cheap cable degraded the sound. Everything matters.

4 Likes

I am finding exactly that. Sitting here listening to some fave albums sans cheapo system automation cable and it is such an improvement that I am considering some other variables are at play, such as mains quality, and that the cable removal is coincidental.

Anyway I am not going to risk putting even a quality screened cable back in as I don’t mind using the remote for occasional volume control. And, for me, no system automation cable has to be the ultimate to preserve SQ.

3 Likes

Since we’re discussing 552 sound quality, here’s another observation I have made owing a 552 for nearly 20 years. (Put on your tin foil hat for this one.) I have found the 552 sounds better when not placed on the top of my Fraim. It sounds better 1 or 2 levels down. I suspect the improvement comes from the preamp being less exposed to sound vibrations (microphonics). The lower placement shields the 552. I think of it as armor. Everything matters.

6 Likes

Bugger - guess where my 552 is sat on my Fraim!

1 Like

:joy:

Now that’s a nice Sunday afternoon task

I’m not touching anything, sounding stunning at the moment!

2 Likes