552DR/300DR incoming…

All the glass shelves in my Fraim Lite are made to order from the local glass shop and I use stainless steel nuts and ball bearings. Very Kiwi DIY.

4 Likes

Ever heard or read if that would make any difference to the performance compared to the original glass shelf, nuts, bearing?

Like “the original frame glass shelf has a self resonance ringing at 1038Hz which is very important for the overall sound signature” :smile:

Btw, I believe there’s a lot of high frequency stuff going on in the EE8 so you could down the road benefit from moving it away from the 552 which seems super sensitive to digital things around it. There’s both analogue and digital signals going through its burndy.

1 Like

Maybe the difference between Fraimlite at £399 compared to full Fraim at £650 would be a good guess of the cost for the glass.

I’ve not bothered. I use 8mm toughened glass, smoked green, about NZ$120 per shelf. Naim use regular Pilkington glass. There are some deep dive threads on alternatives to nuts and bearings if you have the energy to go there…

1 Like

Sounds like a deep rabbit hole… So naim also use a standard “off the shelf” glass shelf then. Might build something myself then too. Which diameter do you use on the ball bearing?

Thanks Mike :+1:

8mm, but the Naim ones look like 10mm.

1 Like

Yes, But I have a Chord Signature Array from the EE8 to the NDX2 that is too short to have the EE8 anywhere else.

1 Like

Nice.

Looking at it, the new base is the original cherry, and yours is the latter (darker) cherry. If it’s any consolation, I’ve got the originally cherry, which makes finding extra shelves all the more difficult

1 Like

Yes very important with glass and ball bearings and to have the correct glass side up .

1 Like

Considering he introduced you to hifi I am curious to know what your brothers system is comprised of. Or did he leave the hobby?

1 Like

I think he sold it when he converted his rumpus room to part of his home office. I seem to recall that it was a Denon based setup, which is quite common here. I’m hoping he will get back into it when he moves to retirement.

I’m in no doubt that the S1 preamp has an absolute state of the art volume control but from my understanding it’s not too dissimilar to volume controls used in Uber high end tube gear with pure silver wiring in some cases.

With all due respect I think there are many many more technologies that attribute to the performance of the device. Personally and I mean no disrespect I think people are just clinging onto the volume because they have always considered that to be the weak point of the previous Naim preamps - I don’t.

2 Likes

Are there two sides of the original glass shelf? How do they differ?

1 Like

You tap both sides and the side that has the best ring faces up. The glass equivalent of directional power leads!

3 Likes

Yes it’s all in the Naim manual

Couldn’t agree more khan :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

Cannot find it in either Frame or 552 manual. Remember which one explains this? Thanks :slight_smile:

it looks very good indeed . The best would be, but you know that already, to separate the Ndx2 from the ps under it. You will probably do that next. I remember, to my surprise, the big jump in sound when i put the pre and my Nds on a different rack than the ps.

I am curious to know how you will find the Core into Ndx2/555ps by BNC vs by ethernet. If it sounds better, despite you have the EE switch, then i may consider trying that. As i don’t stream online, maybe a Core into my NDS/555dr is the way to go. I will test that during my next holidays, in 6 weeks, borrowing a Core from my dealer.

1 Like

I’ve tried the Core directly into NDX2 and via the network and I really couldn’t hear any difference.

4 Likes

That’s interesting, thank you.

1 Like