552DR ordered and LP12 upgrades

Delivery Thursday mate :muscle:

1 Like

The 552DR 500DR LP12 Klimax combo is awesome mate. Bought few extras for NDS. 555PSDR, EE8 switch, Vodka ethernet cable.

The NDS was feeling unloved so am showing it some!

3 Likes

Some will say I am making way for ND555.

I couldnā€™t comment on that :rofl:

1 Like

wooooooooo, a few things it does mateā€¦

super 3d soundstage, vocals are so good, texture. it was all really flat in comparison

1 Like

we shall see mate!hahahahaha i know you have a master plan

1 Like

Will see how it sounds. Thereā€™s a few on here who werenā€™t that impressed with it on NDS. And some then liked it on ND555.

As with everything, different ears, different viewpoints.

I think it will be interesting to hear the NDS differently. I have had it for ages. The ND5XS2 made it more useable for me. But no difference in sound at all. They are both on network and I can play direct from NDS or through ND5XS2 and there is no difference.

Maybe switch and vodka cable will do something as well. All experiments to a degree. But guys on here recommend this gear.

Have you gone down switch route?

1 Like

I think if i was using the naim app with my nds then i would want to change it at some point, i know you got the nd5xs2 for this task. i just cant grumble with the two 555ā€™s on mine mate

Networking wise, this is what i haveā€¦

Maybe i should look at a nice switch, i have a 5m chord cable from the white switch into my nds

1 Like

Iā€™ve never owned an NDS so canā€™t really comment but two power supplies on my ND555 has bought me uncomfortably close to the performance of my LP12. The second power supply adds more texture, gives greater separation, instruments gain a more accurate timbre, improves timing, lifts dynamics, adds more subtle vocal inflections and makes everything else hang together just that bit better. Once heard thereā€™s no going back!

4 Likes

Both DR or? Iā€™ve noticed some prefer non DR on analogue and DR on digital. DR in general seem to push the spectrum bit forward.

1 Like

Iā€™ll let you all know how 2 power supplies sound on NDS into 552DR and 500DR on thursday.

@Damien0 likes what it does to NDS although he has one non DR, so slightly different.

Should have the EE8 and Vodka ethernet cable as well.

2 Likes

I also liked NDS with one non DR 555 PS on the analogue side and one 555 DR on the digital side.

I have two CD555PSDR on my ND555. One of the power supplies was purchased when I bought the NDS in 2013, so itā€™s getting to the time it needs a service. However, the other PS was purchased after I bought the ND555. What I did recently was to swap the inputs over so that I am now using what was powering the digital side to power analogue and vice versa. I donā€™t know if thereā€™s an audible difference because I did it when I reinstalled the 552 after its service, but it seems reasonable to use the other half of the power supplies after a while. Has anyone else done this, and if so, what effect have you noticed?

1 Like

Are you thinking that this may even double the service interval ?

Dan Iā€™ve tried the Chord ICs on my CDS3 and Nat 01 but to these ears S Lumina are way smoother and enjoyable as is the hiline. All imo.

No, I donā€™t think thatā€™ll work as I understand that capacitors degrade even when unpowered, but it just might offer some improvement using the other half of the power supply. Itā€™s got to be worth a try, after all it is free.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve now got the EE8 switch and Vodka cable all set up and running in. 555PSDR arrives tomorrow. Farad Super 3 Monday.

So, I have currently gone like this:

Router > Netgear switch > Chord C Stream > EE8 > Vodka cable >ND5XS2 > DC1 > NDS.

I can use Blue Jeans Cable into EE8 from Netgear or go Router > BJC/Chord C Stream> EE8 then as above.

What are the rest of you doing with your network?

So far sounds good but early days.

1 Like

I have a BT router > uptone etheregen > Phoenixnet > ND555
Melco N1 > Phoenixnet > ND555
Audioquest Vodka connecting
There is a new Etheregen coming later in the year.

Dan. If you can get hold of a Chord Music Streaming cable S/H to go between whatever you choose as the last switch and the incoming ND555 you wonā€™t regret it. Jason Gould has one in that slot! Even if Streaming will never match the best of vinyl (it doesnā€™t IMO) it can sound marvellous and opens a world of new music to explore easily and cheaply.

3 Likes

Hahahaha! I donā€™t have an ND555 incoming! :rofl:

I feel I need to earn some dosh and put more money in my account.

Spent north of Ā£25k on hifi upgrades mate.

Was worth every penny but feel the need to earn!

So am looking at using what I have and the of course the power supply.

I thought the Vodka was meant to be the one!

1 Like

Between us I got hold of one at 30% retail to go between EE8 and Phoenix net also. Even that one is worthy.

2 Likes