552DR ordered and LP12 upgrades

Thanks Skep :+1:

1 Like

Looks like a mixture of the Javelin & Aro :thinking:

1 Like

Playing cleaned best of Beatles album. Maybe 50 years old. Production isnā€™t great compared to medern day standards. But sounds epic! Lots of groove and fun!

1 Like

Well spotted itā€™s a Javelin top on an ARO with lifter. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Cheers, Iā€™ll try the local hardware shop so.

Itā€™s definitely worth it if itā€™s in good condition Dan, the Degritter is a great machine.

1 Like

It is unmarked apart from area where you put coin in to change the filter. Itā€™s immaculate and came with all instructions and accessories. Everything aoart from distilled water.

1 Like

Sounds good, I think you will be very happy with this one :+1:

1 Like

Get ours in the supermarkets in the UK.

1 Like

Listening to Rumours sounds incredible. Low noise floor. Brilliant dynamics. Vinyl sounding so good.

Would recommend the Degritter if you have the money to spend on it. It makes records sound better than new!

No dust left on stylus either. Makes life easy!

I havenā€™t experienced other record cleaners so not sure what they do. This one is built like a tank, easy to use and is rather nice to look at! Bit like a Smeg fridge. Lol.

Have you compared both side by side? And your vote and blackbirds count as one :grin: afaik itā€™s for the same 552 unit :joy:

RCM been at full pelt tonight

5 Likes

Even my manual cleaner made a huge difference to my record replay. Itā€™s a brush and wet wash in a basin type thing, wipe and then air dry, so itā€™s going to get most of the dirt and static off. I just couldnā€™t justify an automatic machine for a clean of 300 odd records. Itā€™s actually much quicker to, about 2 minutes per record play the air drying.

2 Likes

I saw all your pics and threads Mike. It looked really good. I just went for it. And got the beast cleaner. The Degritter. Every record has been a huge improvement. Most sound perfect and like new. I look at my investment on LP12 and the stylus and think the Degritter is worth it.

3 Likes

I am going to buy alot of vinyl and build up my collection. The Degritter gives me confidence that most records but not all should clean up well.

2 Likes

I meant to add, that Iā€™m not intending to but any more used LPā€™s, as the condition is generally not great and the prices are high, so Iā€™d been case of cleaning up my old collection: job now done.

Iā€™ve been buying some new records - some new recordings and some from the analogue era. But Iā€™ve found the new recordings are generally better as hi-res files on the ND555, so Iā€™m left with now just filling a few gaps with new records from the analogue era. I just got Meddle this week after Danā€™s comments as to how good it sounds. I want to get Supertrampā€™s Crime of the Century and Queenā€™s Day at the Races next. It will be interesting how I find the newer vinyl recordings when the LP12 is upgraded.

2 Likes

Reckon I might take the Degritter plunge too. Is it noisy as f**k? The Project certainly is.

1 Like

Yes, it has been the best advice Iā€™ve got on the forum to get the records cleaned - the ultimate source first upgrade.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s certainly a lot more variation with vinyl in terms of quality and production. Fleetood Mac, Billy Idol and Michael Jackson to name but a few of oldies have superb production. Some of Pink Floyd and Beatles in comparison on my revealing LP12 sound great but not not in certain areas. Itā€™s how it is. Overall the LP12 upgrades have brought so much positive improvements. But some albums sound sound worse because of revealing nature of set up!

The streaming side is working well. I am focusing now on enjoying the music, buying some vinyl and cleaning records and hearing what they sound like!

Itā€™s all good fun!

3 Likes

I looked at your manual cleaner and itā€™s not available in UK.

I got what I did. It does the job. Hapoy with it so far.

1 Like