552DR ordered and LP12 upgrades

Thank you, he had motor neurone disease and it was starting to get bad so in some ways it is a blessing that he has didn’t have to decline any further.

The ND5XS2 is massively underrated! I had one and loved it, although it did used to annoy me that it was thinner than the rest of the boxes…silly I know, but I am a bit OCD…

4 Likes

I have heard the 252 NDX2 555PSDR 500DR and it sounds excellent. No worries there. As end game system it will sound wonderful.

1 Like

That is great to hear. I read all the advice about source first, but I cannot get over all the amazing reviews of the 500DR and the fact Naim have said it can’t be improved right now and so continues it alongside the NC range.

Plus, I’m jealous of all those manly Fraim systems with the 500 monster in them. My 250DR looks punny compared to them…

1 Like

It also sounds punny compared to 500. If you are comfortable with the cost then go for it. It’s a great and beautiful amp :fire:

3 Likes

My condolences.

2 Likes

@Dan_M if you are still after super lumina speaker cable, tom tom audio has a 9m second hand pair available on their site at what seems to be a reasonable price for them….

2 Likes

Thanks Mike, appreciate the messages from everyone. Re the system being unbalanced, I’ve read your 552 service thread with a lot of consideration as I realise I am basically about to do the opposite of what your recent experience has been. Ultimately, it would not be fair on my wife to buy a full 500 system based on our current incomes. I can just about sneak in the amp and a power supply at a later date though as both seem to come up on ebay quite regularly. I very rarely see an ND555 or NAC 552. I hope all is going well with you 552 service, it sounded like a real pain in the arse. I would also have shat myself it wasn’t working and probably caused a big argument by accusing my wife of using cleaning varnish on it :joy:

3 Likes

The 552 has been fixed and is heading back now, so that is great. I was concerned that it might have ended up a costly drama, and my wife is happy it was an easy and low cost fix.

3 Likes

Yes I saw them. So with Beresford switch I need two sets of cables. So maybe they can cut them and give me 4m lengths and 5m lengths and reterminate them with new plugs? Will ask them if they can do that and what their best price is.

Superlumina speaker cables may make a big difference. Anyone else using them?

How do they compare to Naca5?

1 Like

I do not see the cable - but too long for my setup…

1 Like

Tom Tom have 3 sets of Super lumina cable if you do a search they come up.

SuperLumina here, Dan. I had NAC A4, NAC A5, Tellurium QB Black II before.

I honestly don’t remember all the changes in terms of SQ, but I’ve been very happy with SL full loom. Would’ve liked to have completed my order of Witch Hat thingummy out of sheer curiousity, but that went down the drain with a fair amount of cash so…happy to stick lol.

Perhaps my satisfaction is partly psychological - SL being Naim’s top cable and all…but if it has failings, they’re too small for me to care much.

2 Likes

Thanks - found them.
But I should try oephi …
Should never had let the SL speaker cable (6m) pass by for 1,2k steal price

1 Like

when I replaced my B&W 804d’s with SF amatis, on my nds/552/500 set-up, Iistened to the amatis first with the a5 cables before switching to the sl. A clear, definitive uplift, but not huge.
Happy Saturday!

1 Like

That was a great price!

2 Likes

Do not give air to the flame :cry::joy:

1 Like

I went bananas today and have a pair of Ansuz A2 Speakz speaker cables incoming. Let’s see. Oephi still the master of speaker cables at my place.

1 Like

Do you still have all the cables at your place?

I am enjoying my system so much. Not sure how much Super lumina speaker cables will add!

I am sure they will make a big difference. They cost £3600 from Tom Tom for 9m length.

Not too sure!

1 Like

Oephi? Yupp. And more Oephi incoming too. QED is going back already. Not the synergy I’m looking for. Maybe too much Rhodium for me :man_shrugging: