555 PS or XPS DR

I ran CDS3 with a 555PS (non DR) for many years. I’d thoroughly recommend that combination.

G

1 Like

There is a degree of incentive as to why Naim might be predisposed to favour their current new model - that you can buy from HQ - over an older item from the s/h market.

Not saying that I disagree, just that you could always try each and let your ears decide :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Here’s a different approach to your situation…

I have a CDS3 w/ a XPS (non DR) with which I was very happy…until I acquired a CD555 w/ 2 555DR’d PS’s, all used. The difference was beyond amazing (as would be expected, considering the cost). I realize you are not yet in a position to do all that at one time, so here is my suggestion.

If possible, get a CD555 first. They are no longer that easy to find, as the shift from CD to streaming (ND555) has resulted in the unloading of the CD555s by those who made the move. I suspect that those who continue to have the CD555 (like me) have no intention of getting rid of them. Also, the tracking mechanisms for CD555s are still available whereas those for the CD3 are not.

Conversely, the opportunity to acquire power supplies will be around long into the future.

The problem with my suggestion is, I believe you are not able to run the CD555 with the XPS (if in fact, you can, then this would definitely be the way to go…IMHO). But if the XPS is not compatible with the CD555, you would need to just keep it boxed up and continue to use your present system (which is pretty darn good) until you are able to save up for the 555PS DR (and eventually, a second 555PS DR to maximize the performance potential.

2 Likes

Better in what respect, and when powering which device? I don’t believe all this oversimplified ‘product A is better than product B’ stuff. Matching components to build a system that works for you is the key.

1 Like

Yep. It’s a twin burndy connection only, so 555PS

1 Like

FYI, according to the other thread Naim was successful in finding CDS3 mechs at least for the moment

1 Like

Really??? when did that happen? Everything I have heard over the past 2 years or so has indicated otherwise, including comments from Richard Dane. Were these newly discovered mechanisms the “real deal” or Chinese knock-offs?

Apparently recently, NeilS (and Jason via Richard) confirmed it in the other thread. How long they will last, who knows

They advised that the DR noise regulators is what makes so much improvement in its own right that is why.

Yes, you need at least one 555 PS to run a CD555.

[quote=“AJK, post:16, topic:23283, full:true”]
Yes, you need at least one 555 PS to run a CD555.

Yes…as I suspected, and confirmed above by james_n.

I’ve compared XPS-DR to nonDR-555PS a number of times and preferred the nonDR-555PS every time

2 Likes

What box were you powering?

Can’t say I’m surprised. I’m sure Naim are proud of the DR regulators, but an XPS is not a 555PS.
I wouldn’t just drink the DR Kool-aid, always listen and decide for yourself.

3 Likes

Succinct answer: yes.

Less succinct answer:
The 555PS retains the effortless, smooth musical flow of the CDS3 but gives it the drive / fun factor / balls that the CD555 and CDX2 both possess but which the XPS powered CDS3 lacks.

We preferred the CDX2/555PS to the normal CDS3 until we tried a 555PS with the CDS3, at which point there was no going back.

YMMV.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

It was an nDac

I have not heard an XPS DR but the 555PS with my CDS3 was a major upgrade compared to a recapped XPS. More of everything Naim is noted for.

1 Like

I had recapped XPS2 with my CDS3. The 555PS sounded better with the CDS3 but at the time my main source was the NDS so I had the 555PS with that and the XPS2 with the CDS3.

A 555PS and 555PS will both outshine an XPSDR.

Just out of interest is your 555 made by Naim or an alternative manufacturer? If it is made by someone else it is likely to sound slightly different to the Naim model.

Its a Naim 555 PS. No point aiming for a Naim CD player and then only buying half the product.