6 nations rugby 2021

Being a kiwi ie : all black ultra fan - I would like to see France win the next World Cup

About time they have been right up there and usually do really well , apart from 2015 when they were thrashed

That’s if they can keep there mojo going for 5/6 weeks

Maybe 2023 is their time

2 Likes

England lost because having got back to 24 all, they presumed they would go on to win. They were sloppy and got punished.
Agree a change of culture is needed - which means a new head coach…

1 Like

Good ol Eddie - he’s ok but agree time for a change - he’s done ok hey he trounced the All Blacks in the last World Cup which was no mean feat - unfortunately he go smashed in the final which no one saw coming

But that’s rugby

1 Like

Not much to add to any of the above on Wales v England having just watched some highlights, except great to see two wonderful scrum half tries, one for each side.

1 Like

We don’t blame the ref in rugby.

1 Like

:rofl:

Outbreak of Rugby at Twickenham alert.

6 Likes

Why do England only produce a great performance when they are underdogs?

Maybe they just responded to the verve and adventure of the French. That first half was fantastic by both teams.

Bruce

3 Likes

I was in two minds watching yesterday. Of course pleased to see England finally click into gear, but I really like this french team, and felt sorry for them that their match next week is not for the grand slam. I have a suspicion though that Wales will fall at the last hurdle. France are a powerful team offering a potent threat when they run with the ball.

2 Likes

It wasn’t a clear victory (3pts tells this) and I think England were a tad fortunate yesterday, in that had they gone in 2 scores down, as could easily have been the case, they may not have made it back in to the game…lots of ifs, buts and maybes. The ref had a good (inconspicuous) game, which helps.

The perplexing cum infuriating thing though is why the England team performances have been so variable during this 6N’s and since the RWC. Penalty-count to one side for a moment, the team must have been being coached/directed to play a kicking game against Scotland and then play with greater pace & ambition against Wales and now France. Why so different? The object of the game is to outscore the opposition, not see how many times you can kick away possession.

Yesterday was far better but I’m still of the mind we need a far better midfield, with running centres at 12/13. There was a lot of pretty passing yesterday but, at times (and as usual with England), it was slow and didn’t commit the defenders. The object seems to get the ball ASAP to the wings but there’s no point if it takes a time to get it there.

I thought Malins did well although he gave away 2 pens when taking the ball in to contact.

I’d swap the French 3/4 line from #9 onwards for England’s every day of the week.

2 Likes

There you go. See what happens when you stop kicking the living daylights out of the ball and start playing Rugby… :grin:

3 Likes

Pretty much in agreement but I thought Slade had a good game.

I hope that the refreshing of England’s squad and maybe coaching is not delayed by yesterday’s game. I think that now is the time for new bodies in some key positions such as 1,8,9,12 for starters. Coach too for me. Have to plan for the next WC.

Anyway that game yesterday flew by with much to enjoy. France are a real force again no doubt. Next weekend has some nicely set up matches.

Bruce

2 Likes

Excellent game yesterday, best of the 6 Nations so far for me. Today’s irritation, a potentially excellent T20 clashes with the Ireland match, so I’ll have to turn over around the end of the England innings.

1 Like

Recording the rugby today as will watch the cricket.

I had expected France to win yesterday but an improvement in England’s game and penalty count.

Wales had an excellent first half, but Italy hung on for some respectability. Do Wales have what it takes to take the Grand slam?

2 Likes

Today’s the day we find out! Notwithstanding England’s disappointing performances overall, I’m still looking forward to this afternoon’s viewing. On balance I think Wales deserve a fourth GS under Alun Wyn Jones’ captaincy. He really is an icon the like of which is not often seen in the game.

2 Likes

I spoke too soon! Really not enjoying this performance against Ireland. Following hard on the heels of our miserable T20 capitulation it’s hard to be a fan of England today!

Excellent display from Scotland. Hamish Watson outstanding.

2 Likes

Pretty much summed up England’s campaign in this year’s 6N’s in that:

• Far too many penalties, some ‘silly’, which removed all momentum from their attack at key points of the game. Mako’s scrummaging returned to haunt England.
  • Didn’t achieve any forward dominance and shipped ball off their own line-outs.
  • Kicked away ball consistently, even when behind and, once again, showed little creativity in midfield.

Ireland played well, no question. Great defence, few meaningful pens conceded and the forwards just played so much better than England’s.

3 Likes

I think the disappointment today is just that it is all exactly the same stuff, as listed above, as before when they lose.

Dull and dim. Unable to adapt. Utterly dominated today by an effective and committed Ireland. A result that never really seemed much in doubt.

Could a different coach etc release the talent of some of these players as Lions? Not sure many are nailed on for the squad.

I am looking forward to the last match tonight. Not actually sure who I support. Maybe just hoping for Rugby to break out!

Bruce

3 Likes