A New App

Will the old app continue to work with iOS 16? If so, I see no need to update the app to include Focal, a brand in which I have no interest.

Edit: I see there’s another thread in this topic. It appears the existing app might be a bit slow under the new iOS.

1 Like

Why is it ridiculous? Different brands selling different products, easy to see which are profitable and which are less so making it easy to set targets, allocate costs and potentially sell off without any impact on the other brands. Using the same stores lets them sweat their asset and share overhead costs. Makes perfect sense to me.

2 Likes

The problem is not the businesses themselves, but managing the Store. Customers don’t understand why there are colleagues of different types standing around unable to assist them with a washing machine when they are obviously free, but that colleague only sells phones etc…
Equally, a colleague of one business gets totally different pay and conditions to a colleague of another business.
I know that not all businesses would run it this way, but different colleagues struggle to be a team in an environment where Ts & Cs vary between them…

I’m running the Naim app on iOS 16.0.2 (on an iPhone 13 Pro max). No problems at all. I do have a Core as a server though, and it appears that the problems are mostly with non-Naim uPNP servers)

Sorry I could not give a hoot if it has both, one or no branding as long as it still works to control my device. Too many precious people on here making a fuss over nothing. Two very strong brands whether you like their products or not. Move with the times.

19 Likes

Combining some non competitive resources is pretty normal. Denon and Marantz are part of D&M Holdings and release a common app and their products directly compete with each other.

If Focal and Naim can afford a better app by pooling resources and reducing duplication of effort then why not?

5 Likes

It is not Focal and Naim
it is
Focal and naim

1 Like

Which is a reflection of the company logos and in alphabetical order, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Try again

focal

n instead of N

Maybe it would smooth some feathers here if it was “NAIM & focal” with the “focal” second and really small. :joy::joy::joy:

Kind of like - NAIM:

Stonehenge Large

And FOCAL:

2 Likes

I used to work for a company called ICL, that became “ICL Fujitsu” which became “Fujitsu ICL” then finally just “Fujitsu”. Hope that doesn’t happen here.

Regarding the current app, presumably at some point we all may have to upgrade. For example we all had to update our app when Tidal changed their logon code.

1 Like

That’s exactly what will happen down the road.

1 Like

Or even FOCAL and naim. :grinning: There is clearly something afoot here, as you simply don’t need an app for the FOCAL products (predominantly speakers/headphones).

As long as the app is better though, I guess it doesn’t really matter. If I can now sort my offline Qobuz playlists/albums alphabetically, then I’ll be happy…

‘Capgemini’

2 Likes

It’s a “New look app” not a “New app”. So nothing will be better. As long as nothing got broken in the rebranding, it will be the same.

I didn’t say they were identical, I said they reflected, a subtle but important semantic difference. Also
naim in the logo doesn’t have the crescent over the top either.

Hope it works as well as it does now

1 Like

My gut response was that naim should come first, as the app is associated with Naim’s streaming platform, not Focal’s speakers. However in the end, if the technology is incorporated into Focal’s “mass market” speaker lines, I would guess that ultimately it will be used to control Focal products more than Naim products. (I have done absolutely no research on this.)

Having said that, this is an app, which will appear to me on my iPhone. I don’t expect to buy the T shirt. If the app works, I’ll be happy.

2 Likes

I am not opposed to a new app if it works as well at the current app. The Naim app works so much better on so many levels than the Sim Audio Moon app I was used to and still use on another stereo in the house. I went looking for another brand in part because I was frustrated with how poorly the connectivity between Sim Audio’s app and the Moon streamer worked at times and how clunky the UI was and remains. The Naim experience allows me to just sit down and enjoy some music rather than checking connections and restarting a streamer and a phone. I am not saying this happens all the time with Moon, but enough to add stress when I am seeking to release stress with some music.

I have had my Atom for 2 years now and every day is a pleasure and I never cease to say, “Wow!” when I listen to it.

4 Likes