Achievement Unlocked: Holographic Soundstage

What’s wrong with bricklaying? And everywhere’s lacking in sewer cleaners…

2 Likes

Latin is not really practical. It’s only used in Vatican City and they need no au pairs there. I suggest Arab, Chinese or French.

What about becoming a HGV driver?

2 Likes

I’ve got my speakers just 30cm (measured from rear panels) in front of the window/curtains behind them, for similar SWMBO-related reasons. But that doesn’t seem to have any noticeable effect on the imaging.

It’s then simply a question of finding the perfect apex of the triangle to sit in for any given width in between the speakers. Even once you find that, move sideways by even a cm or two and the barks and voices are stuck to the speakers again. But when they float, it’s magic.

After that, as suggested, it’s probably time to enjoy the music.

1 Like

No daughter of mine is going into bricklaying! The mere suggestion is ridiculous. We are a family of steam fitters. If she feels the need to get all artsy then she can take up underwater welding.

6 Likes

A variety of aspects of room layout can affect both sound quality and soundstaging, from reflections to absorbent surfaces - it could be worth playing with other aspects of setup. (Several threads have lots of details, e.g. Speaker placement guide )

1 Like

Latin is extremely practical. She would face insurmountable difficulties defending her PhD dissertation on whatever obscure topic related to the late Roman Republic she’s chosen without significant fluency.

1 Like

Steviebee same here cannot get veteran talking about Bill Hubbard near my left shoulder. Perhaps some setups are more capable of producing this effect. The quest continues over the weekend

2 Likes

The only Latin I can remember is:

‘Martella est in horto stat.’

Only useful to alert my wife should I find a strange Mediterranean woman in my garden.

1 Like

She just wants to travel, Katz.

Quod erat demonstrandum

(Don’t imagine an American pronounciation please).

I’m not sure that is grammatically correct, that should be either

Martella est in horto (Martella is in the garden)

or;

Martella in horto stat (Martella stands in the garden)

Otherwise the translation would become ‘Martella is in the garden stands’ :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, Latin was never my strong point!

1 Like

How did we get from a holographic soundstage to Latin grammar?

Don’t get them started! What have the Romans ever done for us?

6 Likes

The aqueduct.

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying and I experience a similar heightened enjoyment with my newer speakers. I just don’t know if that is actually any different than any earlier system I have owned. What I know for sure is that No neurological response matched that of being 16 and listening to rage against the machine through cheap ass headphones on the bus on the way to school!!

What would be interesting would be to monitor the neurological response of people listening to their systems to find out if expensive equipment actually results in a more intense response. What springs to mind is the example of the crack head that needs a bigger dose to get the same hit. I’m not calling those with really expensive equipment crack heads, their financial ceiling is just higher than others. I just feel that our neurological response will level out and provide the same response after a while of ownership. Only at a higher level of hifi performance. Much in the same way that people with more money aren’t necessarily any happier than those with less.

4 Likes

Yes! Becoming an audiophile is the quest for youth.

The only thing that has reproduced feeling 16 is the Bartok with headphones. Could literally feel my neurons rapidly firing as if my brain were still young and developing. I called it a neurogasm. Very similar to how I remember experiencing holding hands with my girlfriend when I was in high school.

If you want to feel young again, the Bartok might be the price of entry. Not sure if my experience is typical. Also I have a damaged brain and probably have a high threshold for this type of experience. I’ve heard many dacs that sound good but the Bartok is the first that ever felt good. Maybe this is what people refer to as “emotional connection” to the music? Bartok is probably the closest I’ll ever come Agin to experiencing the feeling of young love. Definitely worth whatever they decide to charge.

I’m now a believer in the capabilities of at least some very expensive components. After I get a headphone amp for the Rossini I’ll see if it’s even more pronounced. What would it be worth to get the feeling from music that is equivalent to that first time you “got to Xth base”? :thinking:

But…. and a big but. Your new equipment is exactly that. NEW. You have taken some pretty large steps so your enjoyment level may have too. I’d say you need to wait a year or more and see if you get the same response. As I said before, I got this same feeling when I finished the build of my new speakers and appreciating its advantages. However, that was months ago and i can feel it beginning to become the norm. I still love listening to them but obviously you start wonder what it would sound like if you just had this component or that one. The novelty wears off over time obviously. Hence my now setting my sights on source and pre upgrades. I suppose in the world of hifi there’s always a next level though. All I’m saying is don’t burn through all your options too quickly. Contentment is key to enjoyment.

2 Likes

I agree with you. When you get used, the enjoyment is nearly the same.