Achievement Unlocked: Holographic Soundstage

Nice, the sky is the limit if she graduates from one of the ivy leagues if the major she is doing is in demand.

It’s at the start of “Three wishes”.

4 Likes

I’ll have to focus for it next time I play the album!

1 Like

She wants to major in Ancient History with a focus on Roman history specifically the period covering transition from Republic to Empire with a minor in French literature.

1 Like

She’ll be fine. It will never go out of date and CPD is less of a strain. She’ll do well following her heart. And who’s heard of Tournedos Bartok?

2 Likes

I’ve heard of Tournados Rossini…

1 Like

I used to believe exactly that until I discovered that there are actually 2 types of upgrade. There’s the cosmetic upgrade, where you consciously hear more of all the hi-fi things but that is quickly assimilated and enjoyment level over the long term remains about the same. Then there’s the ‘fundamental’ upgrade, where the music becomes more believable and the subconscious ‘limbic’ part of your brain responds by generating stronger feelings and emotions, such that the whole listening experience is more colourful, involving and intense and the thrill you get from that never seems to diminish to become just the norm and before each listening session there’s a tingle of anticipation, as you may have felt before a live concert.

3 Likes

Hmmm…I need to readjust my speakers/listening position then - the dog is just right of the righthand speaker, and the old guy talking is just left of the left.
For the sake of matrimonial p&q, I usually leave the speakers ‘parked’ not so far into the room. I think this affects soundstaging (is that even a word?) whereas I can clearly hear my wife from any position if I pull them further out…lol.

4 Likes

On my setup the dog barking sounds like it’s several back yards away to my right. As if you’ve stepped outside and can hear it several houses away. Awesome it takes careful speaker placement to get it right. I then know they are right also use 3 wishes the genie is something else.
Roger Waters has lots to answer for… oh just remembered I think is towards end of track 10 there’s a American train ( choo choo train blowing it’s whistle) over the sound of crickets . Good stage depth

2 Likes

Yes, the dog is a few houses down on my right front so I’m getting closer… the old soldier though resolutely refuses to come anywhere near sitting next to me!

1 Like

Sounds like you robbed your daughter a little. How she finds the funds for the college?

1 Like

Minors have no property rights. Told her she can study her Latin aand whatnot on the side while appreciating in steam fitting, masonry, or iron working. Times are tough and we all need to sacrifice a bit for the good of my hifi.

7 Likes

What’s wrong with bricklaying? And everywhere’s lacking in sewer cleaners…

2 Likes

Latin is not really practical. It’s only used in Vatican City and they need no au pairs there. I suggest Arab, Chinese or French.

What about becoming a HGV driver?

2 Likes

I’ve got my speakers just 30cm (measured from rear panels) in front of the window/curtains behind them, for similar SWMBO-related reasons. But that doesn’t seem to have any noticeable effect on the imaging.

It’s then simply a question of finding the perfect apex of the triangle to sit in for any given width in between the speakers. Even once you find that, move sideways by even a cm or two and the barks and voices are stuck to the speakers again. But when they float, it’s magic.

After that, as suggested, it’s probably time to enjoy the music.

1 Like

No daughter of mine is going into bricklaying! The mere suggestion is ridiculous. We are a family of steam fitters. If she feels the need to get all artsy then she can take up underwater welding.

6 Likes

A variety of aspects of room layout can affect both sound quality and soundstaging, from reflections to absorbent surfaces - it could be worth playing with other aspects of setup. (Several threads have lots of details, e.g. Speaker placement guide )

1 Like

Latin is extremely practical. She would face insurmountable difficulties defending her PhD dissertation on whatever obscure topic related to the late Roman Republic she’s chosen without significant fluency.

1 Like

Steviebee same here cannot get veteran talking about Bill Hubbard near my left shoulder. Perhaps some setups are more capable of producing this effect. The quest continues over the weekend

2 Likes