Album you are supposed to Love but you just hate it

I’m really struggling to identify any album I’m ‘supposed’ to like! I like dozens of artists who have some real donkeys in amongst their back catalogues which I wouldn’t dream of buying. You either like an album or you don’t - all down to personal taste. Just because one album is more famous, or has sold more copies, than another doesn’t mean I, or anyone else, should enjoy it.

@timmo1341 you know the usual suspects: Led Zeppelin 4, Marvin Gaye What’s Going On, Pet Sounds, Joni Mitchell Blue, Abbey Road, etc… I guess if you prefer I could have titled the thread “Popular Albums that you personally don’t care for”.

Logically you are right - but there have been many albums (and, similarly, books) where some people seem to judge other people by whether they like particular albums (or books), and apparently fail to understand why anyone would not like them.

1 Like

I used to know some like that, but 50 years ago when at school!

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
Steely Dan - Aja
Porcupine Tree

I’ve tried on several occasions to see what all the fuss is about but I just don’t.

Another is Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow. She’s an artist whom I greatly admire. Try as I might I just don’t get it.

:scream:

:smile:

1 Like

DSOTM I find quite depressing and that goes for most of their works. Dire Straits, Clapton, bland. Not bothered about the fab four either.

Here is one I just can’t listen to and I have tried; Radiohead OK Computer.

5 Likes

Now, just hold on a minute there! Astral Weeks is a unique composition. It speaks to me of my Belfast childhood and all the places it conjures up before my mind’s eye - Cyprus Avenue, Sandy Row, Ford St and Fitzroy Avenue - and throwing pennies at the bridges down below from the Dublin train. If you don’t like it at least respect it for what it is - an echo of a time of lost innocence before ‘the Troubles’ and all that followed.

3 Likes

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme

1 Like

Love Laura Marling (top album for 2020)…just don’t get phoebe bridger ‘punisher’??? I just don’t feel anything at all, nothing, its over indulged breathy for me, don’t get it!!!..Im completely numb to bob Dylan and I can’t understand the hype about tom petty…so sorry fellow Naim fans I just don’t get it…but then thats the joy of being an audiophile! Ha

Wot???

I just knew this would trigger some folk… :wink:

1 Like

Arse.

3 Likes

I can’t stand anything by Pink Floyd or Steely Dan, but enjoy most Bob Dylan and Van Morrison.

Each to his own!

1 Like

I can’t, and I don’t have to in any case. It may mean something to you but Morrison’s mewlings completely pass me by (I was born in Lewisham).

1 Like

Imagine if Van was too!
Astral Weeks coulda been
Lambeth Walks

:laughing:

1 Like

@steviebee - typical of someone from north of the River! Lewisham is SE, Lambeth SW. A crucial difference… :sunglasses:

5 Likes

It’s all Greek to me…

If it ain’t on the Roman, I’m lost!

1 Like

Not a big fan of Fleetwood Mac, there’s a few tracks I like and think Task is their best album. Rumours just leaves me flat very overrated imo.