Alternative for spikes for Kudos X3

Hello,
is there an alternative for spikes?
Is there any experience?
My Kudos stand directly on a tiled floor.

Take a look at isoacoustic gaia feet.

1 Like

The consensus seemed last time that they were a big help on any floor apart from a shag pile. If the floor is even a little bouncy or has a hollow space underneath it, that seems very unsurprising, but several people (not all) even found them to be a help on concrete floors.

Other products are available of course. YMMV….

1 Like

Is there a particular problem using the spikes? You could always get some spike shoes.

Naim Chips or Linn Skeets but keep the spikes on for levelling. :+1:t2:

Hello can you tell me what size the thread of the spikes are?
M6,M8 or M10?

Hi
M6 :+1:t2:

1 Like

If you must place them on ahard/ smooth surface. (not a carpet)
My suggestion is without hesitation: Isoacoustics Gaia 3.
I will no longer put the original spikes under my Spendor A7.
Expensive alternatives I admit.
I was skeptical before the test.
I was really amazed by the improvement.
Your speakers will be better, I confirm it.

2 Likes

The fact that you prefer them under different speakers in a different room is no guarantee they will work for the OP. Maybe they will, and maybe they won’t.

1 Like

Could try sound care superspikes I used them under a sub worked well and cheaper than the very expensive alternatives

I don’t believe Isoacoustics legs have anything to do with room acoustics if that’s your point.
These feet remove the resonances transmitted to the floor / floor to the loudspeakers and hold the loudspeakers upright without it moving. The loudspeaker components work better without vibrating and the sound transmission is optimized ‘more’ precise.

It’s a tough one and depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve. My own floor-standing Klipsch Forte III’s have a sort of wooden plinth on the bottom that just stands on our carpeted floor - no spikes or feet of any sort. Intuitively it seems wrong - but they sound excellent.

As people have mentioned there are various alternatives including the extremely expensive Townsend platforms which at one point seemd to be rather the ‘in’ thing.

Also The Chord Company sell some spike shoes which are supposed to have magical qualities but are quite expensive - take a look.

I take it you dislke the effects of spikes? In my experience, and YMMV, spikes sound much better if you break the floor/spike interface with some sort of spike shoe. I use Herbies Audio Lab ones under my Quadraspire rack. They have carpet gilders on the underneath and sit on top of our carpet - so the rack can be pulled out on them to get to connections etc. They sound great but I have not tried any alternatives.

All I’m saying is that it’s a step too far to say that the OP’s speakers will work better with the feet. They may, but then they may not. As I said, they are different speakers and there can be no guarantee.

As a parallel, I tried the Orea pucks beneath my Nova. Some people really like what they do in their systems, but I really didn’t; they made the sound fall apart and overemphasised parts of it, and made listening very hard work.

It’s a perfectly good idea for the OP to try them, just so long as it’s a trial and not a purchase without listening.

1 Like

I’m going to try out the antispikes from the German company Audioplan soon.

They have to be worth trying for the name alone. Is there a particular reason you don’t want to use spikes?

I don’t like spikes directly on a tiled floor.
And I’m curious to see if the sound changes.

I would be curious to know the percentage of audiophile who did not appreciate the Isoacoustics in their test.
This number should be low.

See other threads perhaps.

The gist seems to be that a big majority (but not everyone) thought them a big improvement if on sprung wooden floors and a smaller but still surprisingly large majority also favoured them on concrete floors.

The happy majority was smaller on other floors, even if using the right bits to try to get through (say) a thick shag pile from the 1970s.

I didn’t find any group that generally thought that they were not a boost to SQ. However, several individuals tried them and didn’t like them as much as (say) Townshend rivals, and a few preferred spikes.

Fortunately, several retailers will let you return them if they don’t work for you, probably because it doesn’t happen too often.

1 Like

Do you use spike shoes under your spikes? The Naim and Linn ones mentioned above are fairly cheap. I use (rather expensive) Quadraspire QX7 shoes under my heavy ATC speakers on a hardwood floor. They include an absorbent layer in the construction, which supposedly improves sound quality, but I have not compared them with any alternatives.

Roger

1 Like

My first thought when read the question was that plain spikes onto tiles, whether they are ceramic or similar, Marleytile, LVT, sounds like a recipe for disaster. At one stage, scratches, chips or even breaking through, as happened to the Marleytile hidden under our lounge carpet.
The first thing I used to try and stop this was the conduit knockouts from socket back boxes, poor aesthetics, but they were hidden under the carpet.
I then tried crosspoint screws into the floor. Obviously not acceptable if you have a tiled floor that forms part of the decor.
Then I ended up with Chord Silentmounts, they work for me, nothing magic at all, the principle is explained in a blog on the Cymbiosis website.
A cheaper option, Soundcare Superspikes. The best illustration of those that I have found us on the BK Electronics website.