Amazon HD Streaming issues

Thanks for the reply, and I hope you had a great holiday.
Please do get back to me with the latest news when you have spoken with R&D - i know a lot of people who subscribe to the very affordable Amazon HD service, and i would love to be able to recommend the Uniti as a great option - pus of course, I cannot wait to be able to enjoy the service fully in its native Hi Res glory.

3 Likes

Hi again Clare,
Just following up on that feedback from the R&D department please?
Many thanks
Guy

1 Like

Have four more software releases taking priority right now (including ones demanded by other service providers); once they are done we should be able to update re Amazon.

2 Likes

Clare, it’s Sunday night. Put your feet up, have a glass of wine, and relax. You’ll never satisfy everyone.

Now that the updates to other services have been made, are we still to expect this at some point?

It’s still on our wishlist, and we’re actively exploring it with Amazon. But there are other updates to come first…

1 Like

Thanks, given that it’s not integrated with Roon, it becomes even more relevant re. Integration natively with the Naim platform.

1 Like

So what’s the Plan/Roadmap for these Releases (in a non-binding outline of the functionality without committed dates😃).
Just interested in what to look forward to.

Yes, this is an idea that would never fly! Roon cannot possibly integrate or support Amazon HD, Spotify or Apple Music due to its own intrusive design.

1 Like

Can you explain what you mean by “intrusive design”?

Can’t share that, for many reasons (including NDAs). Will keep everyone up to date as we can, though

It is more than just a simple integration with the music providers, regardless whether it is Apple Music or Amazon HD Music, etc., it requires a collaborative effort between the two parties to let Roon use its own unique metadata database, browsing, and library-building features to explore all the music the music provider has to offer, to collect and organize the end-user’s favorites, and Roon also needs to constantly sync with the provider’s music database so that if the end-user adds an album to Roon, it’s automatically saved to the end-user’s account, and vice versa.

Do you think the big guys let Roon do all those things stated above? They probably do not know anything about Roon, let alone letting Roon into their own homes? Cybersecurity is the probably the utmost concern with the big guys.

Its not that they cant integrate them as they have ready approached them wanting to. But none have shown any interest in allowing Roon to integrate in the way they want a and as they do with Tidal or Qobuz so it’s gone no further. If they just added them as is it holds no value to their product and a divided eco system.

It constantly syncs the same as any of the regular services do via the API. You add a favourite in Tidal app it appears in Naim app add a favourite in Naim app jts a favourite in Tidal app.

The main database is not updated all the time it’s done about twice a week. They sync the entire catalogue to their database this is the reason not all albums are there on release day. If it was all the time there would be no delay.

Still it’s this database sharing likely what the others don’t like. They want control of the data not for privacy but for currency. Hence why Spotify only allow connect, AM is via their own app only apart from Sonos. Amazon do basic api with a few select big players.

It might not, but I hope one or two small streaming providers stick around, as the others utterly fail to provide the required functionality that I have in Roon.

And I guess what you call “intrusive design” by Roon I would call “insufficiently open for the modern world” design by the big players. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like Roon and I like what Roon does, but Roon disappoints me in supporting the Linn Klimax DSM/3 or Linn streamers in general. It currently does not support the KDSM/3 despite the fact that the streamer has been out for nearly a year, secondly somehow Roon does not sound as good as Linn Kazoo for some reason, maybe Linn R&D hold back some tricks and only let Roon use the Linn outdated proprietary Linn Songcast API.

I don’t know what that means. Are the Linn streamers “Roon Endpoints”? If not, the problem would be with Linn

Yes, of course. Roon has been advertising the linn streamers as roon-ready.

I see, but are we sure the problem is Roon?
Edit: On the Roon forum people are posting about how they stream to the Linn Klimax DSM/3 ???

Yes, I am sure.