Any thoughts on the Milty Zerostat?

I’m pretty new to vinyl having added an LP12 to my system three weeks ago. For some reason I seem to be suffering with excessive static to the point that every time I lift an LP of my turntable I have to peal the platter mat from the back of the record. Not sure if this is relevant, but the mat is a Collaro Mat Black.

I’ve now tried two different anti-static brushes including one from Pro-ject that’s marketed by a number of different brands and seems to be used widely on this forum. I’m also swapping out inner sleeves for poly lined sleeves purchased from Covers 33.

My collection of LP’s is far too small to justify purchasing a decent wet cleaner, so I’ve been searching for alternative solutions. The Zerostat seems to receive pretty good reviews, but I wondered if anyone here has used one to good effect.

Thanks,
Andy

I had one and it did absolutely nothing. Others swear by them, I just swore at it! Static seems really bad in the uk at the moment. I use a wet cleaner but any records that have not been cleaned for a white are really bad

1 Like

Have had it for years. Great product. It will solve that problem for you. I believe many use it the wrong way. If used correct it works 100%.

There are some useful answers here among the banter, it does not seem to do much for those I read, but as always experiences will differ:

Regardless of how small your collection is, it is large enough to warrant an LP12 :slight_smile: I recommend the HumminGuru, it is not that expensive

1 Like

I had an antistatic gun made by Bib, and used it for many years. Essentially the same as the original Zerostat apart from shape and being a quarter of the cost. It did what it claims to do, reducing or even neutralising static.

I disposed of my vinyl collection in 2008/9, but I still have the gun, and use it from time to time, most recently when mounting a pair of optical filters in a holder using fragments of paper at the edge to separate them and prevent Newton’s rings - the paper didn’t want to stay put until I used the gun: very useful device.

I’ve got a Zerostat 3; the end lights up when I squeeze the trigger!

3 Likes

You have the ion indicator on it? The trick is managing it SLOWLY. Won’t work otherwise. And not having the ion indicator mounted.

Hold the Zerostat within 12" (30.5 cm) of the surface or object to be treated. Squeeze the trigger slowly for about two seconds, to emit a stream of positive ionized air over the surface of the object. As the trigger is slowly released, a negative show of air ions is produced resulting in static neutralization. Repeat this procedure at several points across the surface of the object.

The Zerostat needs no batteries or electrical supply and unlike other antistatic products, the Zerostat contains no radioactive components whatsoever.

Important notice! Remove the ion indicator from the barrel before using the Zerostat Antistatic Gun to neutralize static charge. Ion indicator is for testing use only.

1 Like

I used to use a Zerostat in combination with a Discwasher pad. The pad would remove dust but actually create a static charge on the record. The Zerostat would then neutralise that charge.

If you can justify an LP12 for a small collection of records, how can you not justify a wet cleaner? A wet cleaner is a must have IMO. It opens the door to used vinyl too.
£500 will buy you a good unit from Okki Nokki, Project or Moth and it will benefit your records and your enjoyment of them as your collection grows.
I sometimes use my Zerostat when an LP arrives loaded with static prior to a wet clean.

Yes, thank you. I know how it works.

Maybe I should smileys more often.

The static you experience is a problem that will be solved with an RCM. You just want a cheaper fix.

I paid £350 for my RCM 20 years ago and it’s still going strong. That’s roughly an LP a year to keep my collection in tip top condition. You’d be surprised how much better an LP sounds after a clean.

I view my RCM as a great investment and my Zerostat as a waste of money.

2 Likes

i use a Knosti Disco-Antistat and it cures static as well as cleaning your records perfectly adequately. Best of all it is not stupidly expensive at less than £50.
https://www.analogueseduction.net/record-cleaning-machines/knosti-disco-antistat-record-cleaning-machine.html

1 Like

I thought your original post was a plea for help with a static problem.
Whether you accept and act on advice offered with the best intentions is up to you.

I have one lying around and gathering dust here. Does absolutely nothing. Waste of money. If you pay shipping costs it’s yours for free.

You make a very good point about justifying an LP12. I should view the purchase of a RCM as an investment in sound quality. Looking at it from that perspective £3-400 doesn’t seem like a lot of money. I’ve taken a look at the HumminGuru, but it’s out of stock at the minute. I’ve reg’d for stock updates as it should be back in soon. In the meantime I’ll doe some research on potential alternatives.

Like Suedkiez, you make a very good point about an RCM being an investment in sound quality. On that basis I’m going to skip the Zerostat and invest in a decent RCM.

1 Like

You won’t regret it. I bought a VPI 16.5 years ago when they were feasible to import. Built like a tank and has brought back many an LP from oblivion.

1 Like

Thanks for the generous offer. Seems the views on the Zerostat are mixed at best. After getting some really good advice here, I’m going to invest in a wet RCM.

Thanks,
Andy

After deciding to go down the RCM route, I was doing some research on the internet and happened upon a pre-owned Pro-ject VC-S2 on eBay. I put in an offer of £250 which was accepted, I collect next week. Hopefully that’ll be the end of my static woes…

Thanks again for all of the thoughts and advice.
Andy

1 Like

Enjoy, you won’t regret it