Any Zeppelin Fans Out There.....?

I have always thought that Jimmy Page was a Gibson Les Paul devotee, particularly on ‘Stairway…’ Have I been wrong all these years?

I like Zep but never a super fan. Nonetheless I have all the albums on vinyl.
Sadly never seen them live.
Seen Robert Plant several times over the years. Hammersmith Palais in London was the first time I think.
The only time I saw Jimmy Page is when he guested with Donovan on Sunshine Superman at the Albert Hall.

1 Like

Err, yes. Page was a Tele player all thru’ the Yardbirds and in the early years of Led Zepp. This was the Dragon Tele. Which was used on the Stairway solo, reports suggest.

The first album is pretty much all Tele, AFAIK. The Les Paul kicks in from the 2nd album.
(Pagey did have a Black Les Paul Custom, early on - but it got stolen.)

And then there is the Black & White Danelectro - used early on for White Summer - and later on Kashmir. And more… Like the Lake Placid Blue Stratocaster (for In The Evening).

Here is a bit more info:

Page’s Gear

Page Guitars & Gear

1 Like

2 Likes

I just watched episodes 4 and 5, picked up a lot more info I was not aware of. I do own ITTOD on Vinyl, bought it back around the time it was released. What I did not know is that there are six different album covers underneath the paper bag cover😳. The paper bag came about because Peter Grant said LZ are so popular, their albums would sell if covered with a paper bag.
Also, apparently some copies printed before 1980 had a special material that would change from black and white to Color if you wipe water on them with a cloth…who knew?
Maybe this explains why the guy who produced these videos is obsessed with collecting multiple copies of this album.

1 Like

It was known at the time that there were different covers - and that they would turn coloured if wipe with a damp cloth. My copy was bought when it was first issued in the UK. I still have the brown paper bag…!

1 Like

Still works.

3 Likes

No! :wink:

I watched the final 2 episodes, I really enjoyed the last one, which is 50 minutes long.
They kind of give you a history lesson of 1980 , and all the events of that year. Ultimately leading to the events and days leading up to Bonham’s death at Jimmy’s house…sad.

2 Likes

Here’s a question for you: if I’ve enjoyed the track selection on Mothership but not the SQ and I’m not tempted to go down the buying-full-albums route, what would you suggest as a good sounding compilation on CD?

Thanks,

Mark

1 Like

Song-wise, I don’t think you’ll find a better compilation. If I was new to LZ, that would be the one I’d go for.

But as I already have the original LPs, the CDs, the Jimmy Page remastered CDs, the live CDs and DVDs, several, er, interesting audio files etc, I never bothered to get the “Mothership” album.

What is wrong with the SQ?

I found the Mothership CD to be an awful recording. I think I listened to it once.

1 Like

Erm, that tricky… You might look for the 4 CD 1990’s set just called Led Zeppelin - but some say the mastering is not great on these, either …? I have them and find them to be OK. But I also have all the original albums on LP and more recently the remastered (again) individual albums on CD.

You can almost pick any LZ CD and someone will say the mastering is rubbish on that.

Ignoring your wish NOT to buy the original albums, just buy IV… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Agreed. Glad you enjoyed. A huge amount of effort must have gone in.

1 Like

Someone has already suggested the 4-CD box set, but there was a 2-CD set drawn from that, the track list from which was transposed to the Mothership set. I assumed they used the same masters.

However, if I were in your position I’d buy the original version of The Song Remains the Same. It’s a polished version of the soundtrack from the film of the same name. It’s live, recorded at Maddison Square Garden. The subsequent release version has improved SQ and includes additional tracks, which were in the film, but omitted from the original album release. Sadly, though, it’s based on the ‘as heard’ live cuts and includes all the mistakes, which were edited/over-dubbed on the original.

Others might recommend the BBC set, which is much more raw. I’d avoid How the West… The aforementioned titles are better IMHO.

2 Likes

I think you mean this one - Remasters

Not the same tracks or mastering as Mothership (which is from 2007 - much later)… :thinking:

2 Likes

I have the 4-CD set and the 2-CD set, which came slightly after, capturing all the studio albums in two convenient box sets. I also have Mothership and, to my surprise, the 2-CD set I was referring to above, taken from the 4-CD set. Those set lists are slightly different, but very close. You could try the 2-CD version, which I’m sure you could get for pennies on eBay. I have photographed both of these so that you can compare. I see Mothership includes a DVD. Im not sure if this is a video or just audio as I’ve never played it.

1 Like

Some versions of Mothership include a DVD - some do not.

Mothership