Anybody else NOT upgrading? Share your stories of contentment

That was a lovely example of a freshly serviced 32.5 too. Should give someone a lot of pleasure.

Just keeping an eye on that CB Nait 2…

PS - lovely Meridian kit there too.

Yes, all the recipients of the CB half boxes will be very happy. Condition is immaculate.

That CB Nait 2 will go for close to £900.

I have a Nait 1 arriving this week for the office…

Meridian is just style…

1 Like

Am definitely not upgrading, well, maybe, but not really, we’ll see, maybe…

…but am desperately fighting the urge to buy another pair of Kans and a NAC72 for a second, fun system if I can reasonably argue there is a room in the house that needs it…

Thought it was in there but it wasn’t.

My current system is

CDS2, XPS, Non-Naiml Cap, 82, 250, Oppo 93, PMC FB 1 + various interconnects and cables from Chord, Van Damme and AR Sound. Headphones Sennheiser HD 600, AKG 72 and HIFI Man 400. Computer set up Schiit Magni 2, Modi Uber Multibit and Audioengine Speakers. Computer cables all homemade.

I also have a 102, 2 x NSPC and an Olive Hicap as well as a Flash Remote along with various NAIM cables and others from different manufacturers lying around doing nothing maybe I will get around to selling them shortly.

I recently sold my Linn Sondek LP12 with Ittok and Audio Technica cartridge to a friend for £100 as he had helped me out in the past on occasions.

I also had manufactured for me about 25 years ago a set of ball bearings along with cups to sit under glass shelves ala Barry Diament style. The idea being that any vibrational movement is transferred through the balls and allows for minute movement of bearings within the cups. They do work well. Pic of the cups below.

1 Like

Got the itch in 2018 and bought a complete new system, AVM A5.2, AVM CD 3.2, Rega RP8, just the speakers remained the same, Rogers LS 3/5a, but not for long…

A pair of Focal Kanta No.2 moved in and then there was another bug biting me: What about streaming music?

Ok, lets do it, a Moon Mind it had to be, using the dac of my cd player, but it wasn‘t good enough, so my first contact with Naim,a ND5 XS2 and boy what a differnce it made. I thought, i had enough…

Maybe it‘ll be fun, having a secondary system in my home office? Naim Uniti Atom creeped in and a pair of ProAc Tablette 10.

One would think, now he is having enough…then came Corona and the more i listened to music, the more i thought, how it could be if…

My dealer was very cooperative, who could have thought of that?:roll_eyes:

Traded the amp, cd and ND5 XS2 …

AVM A8.3, Naim NDX2, Uniti Core, a new cartridge for the turntable and now i ask you: Have i finished yet?

Nope.

My new turntable is screaming for his daddy, after this lockdown is over, but then i am finished. Hopefully. :grimacing:

1 Like

Seems like an earlier version of this thread:

Never saw that thread as I don’t normally venture into the Hi-Fi Corner area of the forum much as I don’t feel I have much to contribute due to me living so far from my nearest dealer that I haven’t heard anything new in years. Tell a lie, I heard my mates top of the range Linn streamer and for me, you can keep it as it didn’t sound vg and that was after being set up by a reputable dealer who travelled 150 miles + to set it up

2 Likes

The last line sounds very negative. I should have added:
… apart from using the hardware for what it was designed to do!

Reading the Audio Myths thread has been really interesting and I was part way through posting on there but it’s probably more relevant here.

For me, the issue isn’t whether there may/may not be a difference with tweaks/certain upgrades but simply whether or not I care enough. Mostly I don’t.

Reading about the possibility of differences between two rips in the Myths thread was really fascinating but made me realise that I’ve likely reached hifi nirvana (or something close) as I seem to be in a really good place with my hifi and am enjoying music without worrying about analytics. Watching the original YouTube video on audio myths has also helped but on a wider scale, which extends not just to dubious tweaks/hearing but also more established aspects. For me there’s so much I could pay attention to (mains, cables - analogue/digital, supports, room acoustics, ripping - hardware and software) but I’ve reached a point in my hifi where I’m happy to leave it all alone. My sub £10k system sounds great and so my money will now be spent on vinyl/CD’s, which is where it’s best spent IMHO.

I’ve also come to this point having recently added an old Technics 1210 MK3 to my Nova. Ex DJ so It was a personal thing, albeit a budget choice to dip my toe. I already had an old Project phono and Goldring 1042 so have put it together and wow. It’s not quite the quality of a flac streamed through the Nova but good enough. My ultimate goal was to get something like a Gyro SE but don’t think I’ll bother now as I’m enjoying my vinyl again.

9 Likes

I went for a long walk the other day.

Normally I would spend a lot of the quiet time on such a walk thinking about how to upgrade my hifi.

This time I hardly thought about hifi at all.

I just don’t need to.

Listening to Albert Collins right now.

I’m in Montreux, it’s 1992, and I ain’t got the hifi blues.

Yours smugly
Jimbleton

11 Likes

After some key upgrades this last year, notably a CB 160BD, an opticalRendu, and some power cables and conditioning, the much maligned DAC V1 remains at the heart of the living room system and is sounding so good no plans for the future. I keep thinking of replacing my screen faded UQ1 in the office, but then I listen to it and say why bother, it would be money down the drain (no resale value for the UQ).

But as I’ve always said, even if you’re on a diet, there’s no harm in checking out the menu! (I’m a strict medical diet, mostly of no gluten, dairy or sugar, and my wife keeps bringing home these amazing goods from a local French bakery - it can be quite maddening though!)

2 Likes

Except… the ProAc Tab 10s needed a bit more power than the Nait could provide to really be on song so I put my Guru Juniors back in and the system is just singing.

In a happy place and no power supplies, leads etc to worry about upgrading. The simple life with quality sound reproduction. :smiley:

18 Likes

Got two pairs of gurus here, Qm10 mk1 and mk2’s (actually my mk1.s seem to be mk1.5’s but let’s leave that for another day).

This is exactly the “problem” I have, they just do everything so well.

The only issue is if you want super loud, then perhaps they struggle a bit, but for normal levels and even loud listening they just work better than anything else.

I realised I prefer a speaker that projects out of the box, as opposed to back from the box. Recent audition with neat ministra illustrated this perfectly and whilst it was competent it wasn’t doing what the gurus do.

1 Like

Nice to see the Gurus mentioned. I have been running my Guru Junior Plus on my Nait XS3/ND5XS2 lately for a change up, and these little speakers are just so much fun!

@Adam1 and @Frazeur1 - Let’s see some photos in system pics!

It’s a fair point and I put mine up in 2020, been some minor changes since, will have to deploy the duster first, my systems look a little more “lived in” than some of the stunners on here.

This weekend has now passed… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I do think my study system is now sorted. I never seem to notice the HiFi when playing music - I’m only ever struck by what the musicians are doing and have created between them, so really don’t want to mess with it.

Got a new work phone and still playing so the colour shifts a bit. There’s also a 110 out of shot. Who can name the album? :slight_smile:

18 Likes

First one is now up, will get the cabin system up there when my wife has finished in the gym out there.

Nice!