BBQ Season again

I agree that gas grills are not proper BBQs and as you say are a different form of outdoor cooking, but it’s simply nice that the weather has improved significantly recently so it’s nice to cook food outside.

I’ll probably light a charcoal one later to cook some steak, but the gas grills can be very handy for quick grilling and avoiding smoke when your washing or the neighbours’ washing is out drying. I bought one to cook a Christmas turkey once when we were without an indoor oven.

There is the carcinogen argument too but it will apply to many forms of high temperature cooking.

Charcoal cooked meat is one of life’s luxuries I’d be loathed to give up.

While I can see governments potentially legislating further on wood burning stoves, can you imagine the uproar nationally if they banned BBQs and charcoal/charcoal briquettes/fire pits etc.? I’d imagine there’d be strong lobbying from companies with vested interests too.

1 Like

Has anyone ever tried cooking food with fire and brimstone I wonder?

Maybe Brimstone and Treacle was a documentary about marinades :wink:

2 Likes

Tidying up decided to go back to basics.

£20 charcoal BBQ with decent charcoal.

Does all I need or want taste wise.

1 Like

“Bring out the best robe and put it on @Alley_Cat , and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this your brother was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

2 Likes

Crikey Ebor, has outdoor grilling heresy renewed your faith?

You seem to be on a mission to spread ‘the word’.

BW

The prodigal cat :smiley:

2 Likes

Slightly overdramatised rhetoric is a long-standing component of my humour - don’t over-interpret it!

It was nice being able to include a reference to a fatted calf in a barbecuing context…

2 Likes

Well the bbq purists might be upset with today’s efforts…

Dinner from the gas bbq.

While tomorrow’s lunch is on for a long smoke on the pellet smoker…

3 Likes

Tomorrow’s lunch looks great. Beef?

Yep, a full brisket (although I had to trim it down a bit because my smoker isn’t very big!). Plan is 6 hours in the smoker, then wrap and put in a very low oven overnight.

2 Likes

Context, for some reason couldn’t post photos last night:

2 Likes

Best charcoal I’ve found in years:

Surprised today at the price………£26 for 7 kg in a garden centre. Back to bookers in the week to see-there price.

Three minutes each side i reckon.

2 Likes

Lovely. I do enjoy long slow cooking. A 24 hr cooked pork shoulder is one of my favourites. A smoker to help with that is tempting.

1 Like

Same brand or different stuff?

Different stuff…….B and M do 5kg for £5.

1 Like

Think we are having bbq for tea today but not home until about 6pm so won’t be very early. Hope it goes better than my first pizza attempt this year :grimacing:

2 Likes

My little pellet smoker gives consistently good results. Just dial in the temp and it will stay there until it runs out of pellets (a full hopper lasts more than 8 hours). We also have an Aga inside, so an overnight slow cook is always on the cards. Totally agree with you on the pork shoulder.

2 Likes

Surprisingly late first BBQ of the season for us … 10 June.

I used the indirect heat method to cool a leg of lamb, then, while that was resting, used the areas right over the charcoal (local stuff) for direct heat cooking of vegetarian food and other meaty things (the gap between the two of piles of charcoal makes a good cordon sanitaire!). Dancook 1800, now sadly no longer made.

For 4hours the BBQ maintained a steady 200°-220°C, even when we’d finished putting everything away.

(Photos: start and final temps!)

2 Likes