Best internet radio anyone?

Absolutely, and it is because Radio Paradise is the best of its genre with excellent SQ and content that I am concerned at :-
(a) adopting the controversial MQA route for initial hi-res (which will not be universally accessible)
(b) restricting this development to use by one manufacturer i.e. Bluesound.

I currently listen to RP on their excellent flac channels and the Mellow Mix is my favourite.

As for other stations The Jazz Groove (another best of genre) have flac channels if you donate or pay their premium subscription. Meanwhile the BBC have gone backwards to 128 mp3 on most of their channels and will no doubt eventually introduce an alternative that nobody likes.

flac is still available though

http://127.0.0.1:9000/plugins/radioparadise/index.html?index=4e70f7e1.1.1&player=00%3A04%3A20%3A17%3A70%3A3a&sess=

Well said (about the BBC), Paul. I’ve emailed them more than once to have a little moan about, in the main, their incessant reliance on DJ’s who love their own voices but never heard anything back from them. I think they’re so bothered retaining an audience of “youthful listeners” that they don’t really care. Seems a short term strategy to me.

1 Like

There seems to be a reduced playlist on Radio Paradise with the same songs coming round time and again. I don’t listen all day as I need silence to concentrate on work, so I can only imagine the repetition is actually worse than I perceive it. I cancelled my regular donation due to this.

1 Like

Yes, that’s been mentioned before and you’re quite right. Others have commented the RP Mellow Mix isn’t as repetitive.

Just a wee correction the higher stream is 16/44.1 flac i.e. CD quality not hi-def. I am sure Steve would love hi-res - maybe soon.

1 Like

I have about 20 good rock channels set up on my system so do not have to stick on one… Just found a new one. Excellent SQ and content.

Zenith Classic Rock (from Waterford, Ireland).
URL http://91.189.64.188:3644/zenith128mp3

First two tracks out were Led Zeppelin and Neil Young - so not a bad start, followed by lots of nice tracks I did not know so that’s good!

(I/they had some initial glitches but has been fine subsequently).

1 Like

Talking about classic rock, do you find a decent quality classic Prog rock station?

Personally I think RP has gone off a bit of late, I used to listen a lot but not so much now, I find the main mix is very repetitive and plays a lot of thrashy guitar country rock which I’m not a fan of. Before Bill introduced the other genre streams I think the main mix was more varied and eclectic. I know it’s free and it is a great service so I’m not knocking but just not as big a fan as I used to be, haven’t donated much lately as a result. Edit, having said all that I’ve been listening to the main mix for the past hour or two and it’s been great, guess you can be unlucky as to when you tune in.

4 Likes

Do you mean early Genesis, Steve Hackett (of Genesis), Rick Wakeman, Yes, Pink Floyd, ELP, Jethro Tull etc. Not sure if I am a “prog” rock fan?

However just found progrock.com
URL http://74.82.59.197:8264/stream

So give it a spin to see if it is your cup of tea. You can also look at the website. I do not know the station except for a few minutes listening.

Also rockradio.com Progressive Rock Music - ROCKRADIO.COM

Here’s a picture I took of Steve Hackett in October 2014.
_steve-hackett-4-dscf1937

1 Like

Thank’s

Been listening to Zenith Classic Rock (see above) for 5 hrs and 23 minutes. Great SQ and a very varied selection of “rock”. No repetition, no chatter, no ads.

Is Zenith a RP-buster?

Interesting, new to me, dident realise there was an Irish station streaming classics, just added to my presets and will give it a go, sound quality is fairly good but not up there with RP’s FLAC

There is plenty on Zenith Classic Rock - may depend upon time of day.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to Zenith a bit recently, it’s not bad but sounds a bit like a station for ageing hairy bikers!

2 Likes

Do you mean prog rockers or are they more flowery shirts?
I thought there was a real mix of rock sub-genres but it seems to change depending upon time of day i.e. heavier in the evening.

JB Radio2 is back.
Broadcasting in aac/320 only at present.
URL is http://62.138.24.149:8000/aac-320

(The old URLs and old flac URL do not work and presently no website.)
jb-radio-2

2 Likes

Fingers crossed they bring a FLAC stream back online.

1 Like

Thanks for that, Paul - I missed the flac stream, such great quality.

Actually I was still getting JB on my Bose speaker in the kitchen but not on my hifi via Roon. Maybe the Bose had cached a lot of tunes but your stream seems to be coming through just fine.

Peter

1 Like

24 hours ago JB Radio2 posted this message on their FaceBook page.
Could it be flac?
Still waiting.
jb-post

2 Likes