Best internet radio anyone?

I learn so much here! I didn’t know Shazam kept a library of your “shazams”. Very useful, thank you.

Hi @Paul_C

I believe TME Folk is now dead. See: TMEFOLK RADIO - TME.fm Radio

I’ll chase down if they plan to do a new FLAC channel for this country centric theme, or if they have plummeted back to the MP3 dark ages!

Best

Steve

1 Like

That is what I feared.
Great shame if so as it was one of my goto channels (along with The Jazz Groove). I only discovered it a couple of months ago. Their selection of music was fascinating. Possibly the best flac station.

Spent most of the day listening to TME.fm Radio (following likely demise of their sister TMEFOLK Radio flac channel). Great content and mp3/320. Recommended.

Hi,

The Hidef section has been updated so the TME Folk link is not dead and now points to the MP3 Country URL. Not quite convinced it deserves to live in this section, but it will stay until VTuner reflect it in their database as a permanent resident.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

@Stevesky , we’re you able to confirm provision of a user ID/password combination or some other security model for the Jazz Groove? I support the station and would appreciate being able to provide a login via vtuner. Thanks.

Hi @mfin99

Could you email me on steve.harris(at)naimaudio.com so we can discuss this subject.

Regards

Steve

1 Like

Maybe TMEFOLK Radio is back !!! (perhaps countrified).
The TMEFOLK link on my Serviio/Online sources is playing flac today and it is different content to the TME.fm mp3 stream.
Their website does not appear to have caught up.

Appears Kool 95 Radio (Canada) in flac is not currently available/broadcasting.

It’s working again now.

1 Like

Hi @Paul_C

Kool95 is a bit of a hobby thing for someone, so the stream can be a bit variable if they’re broadcasting or not.

TMF - I’m keeping an eye on that one. If you have any hints ref FLAC stream URL’s then let me know. Their website is a bit confusing on what station does what and forgets to advertise the URL’s to play the various stations.

Best

Steve

Kool95 makes sense as it did not seem broken just not broadcasting.

TMEFolk (or what ever it is now) is streaming in flac again today as it was yesterday on the original URL.
URL https://streams.radiomast.io/tmefolk

TME.fm in mp3 is on URL http://radio.tmefm.com:17666/stream

They are broadcasting different content.
As you suggest their website is confusing/incomplete.

Andrea, I am surprised as I have listened for hours normally without drop-out.
By way of a test I ran The Jazz Groove - Mix 1 (that’s West) for 40 minutes and then swopped to Mix 2 (that’s East) for a further 40 minutes. No problems.

It is likely that the problem is elsewhere. Where are you based?

1 Like

Hello, in Italy, I listen the jazz groove west.
In the past few days I have noticed interruptions. Today, however, no. Today everything is ok.

Hi @ChrisSU

Thanks for the info. We had a dig around and have now got the database reflecting reality for TME stations. The country channel is now in the hd section.

Regarding The Jazz Groove, @mfin99 and I had a little geek out and got their members only lossless flac streams playing on his streamer via the vtuner ‘added station’ feature. Sounds pretty good as well and a worthy step-up in quality compared to their free streams.

Best

Steve

3 Likes

Radio paradise either FLAC or MQA 24 bit stream, listened to it for years and it’s always improving, I remember when naim had its own 320kbps stream!

Sadly these are 3 letters (MQA) I hoped never to hear in radio. It is not good for the universal approach.
But note “Radio Paradise via MQA is available exclusively via BluOS, on gear like the Bluesound players” so time to trade in your Naim streamers!
However the good news is “When we’re ready to launch a hi-res stream, it will be available as straight FLAC as well”. Universally I hope?
Some very “interesting” info about the RP MQA is here Community - Radio Paradise

I saw that RP were recently claiming to be first hi-res radio. Untrue.
Mother Earth Radio (Germany) is streaming in 24/96 flac since 2020.
URL http://icecast3.streamserver24.com:18800/motherearth
mother-earth-radio

Hi,

The problem of running a lossless radio station (and we run three) is that you need to decide on a common sample rate and bit depth to run with that will apply to everything played. Then within those working bounds decide on headroom + dynamic range management. It’s like compiling a greatest hits album from a legacy of recordings made over many years - some tracks will work well and some will be degraded compared to the original recording.

Running at 24/44.1 or 24/48kHz is perfectly fine for a radio stream and the real audible benefits are in the production techniques and equipment used. Saying that it’s great that Radio Paradise are pushing the bounds on streaming possibilities and hopefully it will encourage more stations to deliver higher quality streams.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

4 Likes

Naim still has 320 kbps streams and now hi-def stations. They continue to push their sound quality.

1 Like

Nicely put Steve

Been listening to a station from the SoMaFM stable: n5MD Radio today. I had to manually enter it on vTuner in order to save it. Shame it is only AAC 128, but not bad for background music. Mainly ambient type stuff. Anyone else heard it? I think only 47 people are listening, so I doubt anyone else here is…

1 Like