Best internet radio anyone?

@Paul_C

Thanks for that list, looks like we’re going to have some fun trying then out.

We used to listen to JazzFM until for some reason, it kept cutting out, then we found Jazz24, which we really like as there are no adverts.

We were with JazzFM for many years and before Christmas 2019, they had some weekly bundle competitions leading up to the Christmas. We were lucky enough to win the first weeks bundle, which included some tickets to see Gregory Porter at the Royal Albert Hall in London. This got delayed a number of times due to Covid.

But it eventually did happen in October 2021, where we were treated to the middle front row seats. We made a weekend of it and stayed in the Union Jack Club and had a great weekend, with Gregory being absolutely fantastic.

3 Likes

Both the listening quality and the choice of music transmitted are excellent. It’s a pity that with BluOS I don’t see what track it is…

2 Likes

WRTI is one of my favourite jazz stations. They do not transmit metadata so you are not missing anything.

I got to know this radio thanks to your list… :+1::+1::+1:

There are lots of good ones.
Give a try to RelaxingJazz (or Relaxing Jazz) from St. Lucia too - nice.

1 Like

A forum user @pnwsound reported a problem with radio station KEXP 90.3 Seattle which was not working but was OK on their website.

It is useful to remember that station outages may be due to several reasons including:-

1. Station ceased broadcasting.
  2. Station streaming issue usually resolved within hour or two, or by next day.
  3. Changed station URL (the station streaming address).
  4. User network issue or equipment mal-function/error.

There are several checks on the situation:-
Does it play on station website or is there a service message?
Does it play in vTuner (which is used by Naim)? see vTuner Internet Radio
Does it work later or on the next day?
If you have the stream address you can often paste into a browser to check it works.

The user reported the station played on the website. However if stations change their URL they will typically change the website link (therefore it works) but do not inform anyone else hence station accessed by other means no longer works.

In this case KEXP had changed their station stream URL and the issue was resolved when vTuner was able to apply the new URL.

This may be helpful in diagnosing and resolving future user station issues.

Enjoying a different jazz station today
KJazz 88.1 FM (from Long Beach) - nice syation

2 Likes

Enjoying another jazz station
Jazz de Ville - jazz stream (from Amsterdam) - excellent

credit to @DogWalker for the original nod a while back.

2 Likes

For an old fart such as I, I’m hooked on Boom Radio. Play some great tunes long forgotten by me.

1 Like

Yes - I mentioned it back in March. credit @Andy140

Boom Radio - quite a mix of older tracks ………
“a radio station run by Baby Boomers for Baby Boomers”
A nice station with great music that gives BBC R2 more than a run for its money. No BBC rabbit.

P.S. WATCH OUT Boom Singles on their website is not the 45s it is the dating page !!!

1 Like

Yet another jazz station - there are so many good ones
JazzRadio Schwarzenstein

credit @Wolfgang for the original nod
Played for 5 hours and 40 minutes - wonderful.

3 Likes

Yes, I know it’s Russian, but.
5 stations.
All with a choice of;
OPUS 56kbps
VORBIS 192kbps
OR
FLAC 1200kbps Yes that’s right 1200kbps.
24 hours, no adverts, only the occasional reminder you’re on RADIO SECTOR.

2 Likes

Thank you very much: since you reported it, I keep listening to it, the sound quality and the musical choice are excellent! :+1:

There are so many great jazz stations.

1 Like

Hi all, it’s great to see this thread still running and with SO many ideas! I’m still listening to Radio Paradise but more and more to JB Radio 2…It’s totally without any DJ crap and plays a fab selection of tunes across all genre. Although, for me personally, I’m happy to say I’ve never heard garage or rap on it.

Across those stations, I hear so many tunes I love, both “new to me” and “Oh my, I saw that band 20+ years ago and forgot how good they are”. Using that as a means to then move to Spotify and research even more just fills my ears with music. (Yes, I know Spotify isn’t for everyone but it works for me…)

Keep the ideas coming, y’all!

Mike

2 Likes

Tonight it has been RelaxingJazz (the station from St Lucia) all evening.
Wonderful.

Take a listen to PureClassix and Timewarp Ireland.
Both great stations similar to RP and JB2 and as you say without the chatter.
I think you might like them both.

Thanks Paul, I’ll give them a go!

vTuner have “PureClassix” as “Pure Classix” and their poor search will not find it as one word.
I have reported it a couple of times but vTuner done nothing.
Improved vTuner search would be helpful. Not rocket science.

If Naim/vTuner users are experiencing issues with their radio stations - found this on another topic
@Stevesky is on the case.

1 Like