Best internet radio anyone?

Hi Mike,

Find a radio station you want and start playing it. There should be a bar at the bottom of the app showing what is playing. Tap this to open it up. There should be star. Tap on this to add it to your favorites and it will also ask if you want to add it to your presets.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Three of the best internet radio stations I have found are:
jazz-groove-laid-back
The Jazz Groove (listened for years and I can never work out why the quality is so good for an mp3 stream - must have some solid professional gear.)
I stopped being an “mp3 snob” after listening to this station. My “go to” station.

venice-classic-radio
Venice Classic Radio

TMEFolk radio (a new kid on the block flac station with excellent content/SQ). (Update this station is now deceased!)

3 Likes

Whilst stations have been blocked due to Sony/Warner court action I think all Audiophile stations and website have ceased.

Hi Paul, thanks for that. I’ve tried that, but all I get is a new window that asks if I “…want to replace one of the 5 presets available form the MuSo touch interface?”

Is there another “favourites” section I’m missing seeing?

That was 2017 and only a short trial! Their existing offerings are mediocre. I think they are too busy messing about with HPS, mpeg-dash and BBC Sounds so as to engineer a proprietary lock-in app or chargeable system.
They need no money - they have our BBC tax and are a very bloated organisation.
They have 60 odd rubbish radio stations. Ask how much jazz or blues do they broadcast?

Once the BBC led the world - now they are trailing in its wake.

1 Like

WFUV HD2 (Fordham University in NYC). It’s public radio, but there are solicitations for contributions.

Eclectic rock from the 1960’s to the present. And some surprises.

2 Likes

At the bottom of that screen in a light grey bar, it should give two options “No, use next empty preset” (the one you want) or “Don’t add preset”.

If that doesn’t appear, check which version of the app you are on (my android version is 2.19.2). To find the version number, tap the gear icon and select “About”.

1 Like

It is playing the selected stream - if it has “ads” then sorry you get ads. That’s how they pay for your radio.

Hi thanks for that. Yes, that’s exactly as you descrtibe and my app is the same version. It’s the talk of “up to 40” that you mentioned that got my juices going! If I do as you suggest, thank you, it’s either one of the 5 presets or nothing :thinking:

If you are a fan of the blues there are many excellent radio stations:

Aardvark Blues FM (Houston, USA)
Houston Blues Radio (Houston, USA)
Blues Radio (electric blues) (Athens, Greece)
Classic Blues Radio
The Crossroads - Clarksdale (XRDS.fm) (Clarksdale, USA)
The Blues Connection - (Blues Rock and Soul) - NOT WORKING
BluesMusicFan Radio
The Blues Cove
Radio BluesFlac (flac)

Alas the following seem to have gone:
Belly Up 4 Blues (Escondido, USA) - unless it’s a UK problem
BluesBaby
Audiophile Rock & Blues (Greece)

1 Like

Choose “No, use next empty preset” and it will add it to the presets in the app up to 40 in total. Only the first 5 can be chosen on the Qb itself but the app will allow you to choose numbers 6 to 40 as well.

I can still see Audiophile Jazz in the list on the app but it hasn’t played for some weeks.

I think these Audiophile stations have all gone now. Their website has gone too.

Hurrah! I see it now…Thank you for your patience! Now, I just need to work through the fab list that’s being generated on this topic…

Thanks for the nod on “Jazzradio Schwarzenstein”. Playing now.
Have added it to my list - excellent content and SQ.

The Jazz Groove changed its stream names a year or so back from East and West (I think it was originally a time-shift thing) to Mix 1 and Mix 2.
East became Mix 1 and West became Mix 2.
They also added some extra channels but these do not have internet streams and are only available on their app and premium service (see https://jazzgroove.org ).
Sadly for such a brilliant station they messed up their website and you cannot track the stream playlists anymore which may not matter if you can see the metadata (which i can’t on my system).

So… One more question on the slightly off-topic questions about using the iRadio app… Is there just a basic search function? For example, if want to quickly find, say, Sona, can I do that? Forgive me if the answer is blindingly obvious and I’ve just had a bad day!

Actually, I think you may be right, I think I recall something about regional licensing restrictions banning it in the UK.

Although there was a Sony/Warner court case against Tunein I think Audiophile has ceased broadcasting everywhere and not caused by court case. Kaput.

Thanks Paul, I did another search for other 320k Jazz stations and found quite a few more since I last looked