Best internet radio anyone?

:ok_hand:

Did you get it resolved?

I’m loving this thread, it;s giving me so manu great ideas to explore new music! I’ve never been a big jazz fan, but as a result of this, I’m starting to leanr to enjoy it. I’ve come across Canal Jazz which seems to fit my most basic needs of a) no DJ crap chatter b) no adverts and c) good music at decent quality.

Hi Paul,
Still can’t hear music from the station, even though it’s added to my collection of stations in the app.
Using the laptop I can hear …
Comforted to hear the quality of 320kbps classic rock on FM1 station in Switzerland…

what’s the URL of the stream?

says it’s “not available in your region” i.e. UK

The radio groove jazz today March 30 NOT WORKING. they just talk, but what happened? Will they stop broadcasting? Isn’t it nice that these gorgeous radios change policy overnight!

Canal Jazz Radio (Paris, France)
URL http://91.121.59.45:10024/stream
Seems OK in UK.

1 Like

I think this is a means to encourage you to sign up to their Jazz Groove “premium” i.e. paid, services. The message is “This stream has reached capacity for today”.
I have heard this before and it was OK the following day.

Suggest you try one of the other excellent jazz streams.
Try SatinJazz
URL https://quincy.torontocast.com:2725/stream or http://satinjazz.com/satinjazz.m3u
Think the above URL is new and recently changed.

Hi Paul,

Dumb question but you seem highly knowledgeable on the topic. if I subscribe to Jazz Groove Premium tier I guess I will have to set an account of some sort on their website, but how will they know it’s me when I listen through my Naim streamer ? Ie: how can they link an account to then a streamer pulling the stream through Vtuner ?

Or have I missed something ?

You are correct and I am not sure about the answer as it may vary from station to station. Clearly you need to be able to add a URL with a unique user id/password or as a service. I have sent an email to the Jazz Groove to ask them - support@jazzgroove.org

Generally all these stations want you to use their own apps for revenue, advertising, control reasons.
What do you think BBC Sounds is for, or Spotify streaming or SiriusXM or Netflix, Amazon, BritBox, Discovery+ on TV.
This I am afraid is the potential future of Radio? A disjointed mess.

PS You can play the Jazz Groove on their website - strangely they have not “reached capacity” on that method today !!!

Hi Suzy, I see you’ve had a reply already…I found Canal Jazz via a seach on the Naim app…

That’s what I asked myself too. Who knows if the naim app will be implemented with something that lets you enter the internet radio login or account as we currently do with tidal today?

2 Likes

Yup, Paul came up trumps with the URL, so I could program it into my RPi/Moode kit :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is a little different. Many systems have a login to access Tidal, Qobuz, and even vtuner or Tune-in but this is a login for individual stations and there is no certainty they will all have a consistent approach.

Fortunately many excellent stations (amongst the many thousands available) will continue with the existing approach but we may have to abandon some of our current station listening.

I have a speedy response from The Jazz Groove.
You can get a premium account for $5 or $10 per month. there are annual plans. You can also get an account for one-off $60 donation which I think works. More details on their website.
They then provide an expanded URL and you have choice of audio improvements including flac.

The second step would be to “add a URL” (the expanded URL) to your radio stations if this is possible. Perhaps Steve Harris can advise.

1 Like

You cannot change the listening with ND5xs2 or Muso. I can only choose the radio to listen to. I also read on the site but I believe that the account that is created is only for listening via PC …

Hi @Paul_C

If you have an account from Jazz Groove, could you email me the details and I’ll see if it can be added to a users ‘Added Stations’. It will all depend on how the station has implemented security on their premium streams.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

2 Likes

All my old (I did not know they were old) BBC radio station links on my Serviio Online Sources packed up yesterday as the BBC appears to have discontinued them (http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio2_mf_p) etc.
I have now found replacements so if you have encountered similar issues - holler.

re Jazz Groove - no that is incorrect. It is available on lots of devices. Only the 5.1 surround sound channel is restricted to a PC.

It also appears adding the personalised “expanded URL” from a Premium account would work OK by adding to the 'Added Stations" area in naim.vtuner.com. .
We just need someone who has subscribed to a Premium account so it can be tested out with Steve.

I’m really enjoying the new ability to search for and link directly to BBC radio podcasts with a Naim Audio streamer. This is a wonderful enhancement.

1 Like