Best internet radio anyone?

Some interesting chat on Jazz Groove. With my simple, 1st generation MuSo, much of the talk around URL is, I think, irrelevant to me…But, it has raised another thought in my little mind around subscriptions. As I’ve said, I’m no jazz afficionado but I recognise that many on this thread are keen on Jazz Groove, and I was curious to know if Jazz Groove was SO much better than the many other jazz streams that it merited a regular subscription. I wonder if this is the thin end of the wedge and that other stations will follow suit. Radio Paradise frequently ask for donations, and I’ve happily provided a few dollars from time to time. But, a regular subscription is a whole different thing, especially when there are so many stations “out there” to listen to and to yet discover! Would a request for such a means of payment simply drive listeners away in search of free streams or form a secure database of paying clients?

1 Like

The Jazz Groove is an excellent station with super sound quality (even in mp3) and the goto station for many. But you are right there are also loads of other excellent jazz stations. At present The Jazz Groove has had a continuous donation request with no music at all for several days. Listeners will I am sure go elsewhere.
On the other side stations need revenue to exist (no BBC tax for them) and for their subscription they are offering five channels and flac quality in return.
A difficult balance.

I would like someone from Naim staff to contact the jazz groove staff to find out their intentions on the broadcast. Unfortunately I can’t do without and I would be sorry to lose it in favor of other web radios … Staff Naim write if you can to the Radio Jazz Groove …

The Jazz Groove music is back today … true - it’s not an April Fool

Seems Planet Rock should only be available in the UK according to their website
“Planet Rock’s music (PRS/PPL) license is for the UK only, which means that we can only broadcast to the UK (we don’t have any royalty agreements with any other countries outside of the UK). For that reason we are unable to broadcast Planet Rock to countries outside of the UK.”

1 Like

I mostly listen to:

SomaFm Lush

Electronic / trip-hop, no commercials and also sometimes to:

SomaFm Groove Salad

Try these…

3 Likes

All the Soma stations are great. I like Mission Control!

2 Likes

France Culture and France Musique for me.

1 Like

Radio Paradise for me too - I have the App on my phone and stream it in the car (or sometimes listen from my PC to nDac). I look up the new songs I liked on Tidal when I get home and stick them in a playlist. The Brave New World of streaming!
Paradise is eclectic and somewhat Indie - sometimes it can get a bit too mellow and dirge-like, but it’s by far the best station I have found. It delivers high quality streams as well.

3 Likes

However, often if I listen to internet radio the jazz groove west after a few 15-20 minutes of listening the connection drops. Only on this radio, the others do not, they distribute music without interruption. I would like someone to try and write an email on the radio to inform about the problem.

@MartinCA I do the same I.e. look up a track from RP in Tidal to save to a playlist. Is there a quicker way of doing this maybe because bit of a chore noting the album/track by hand then searching for it in Tidal

I agree - I find myself searching around for scraps of paper that I jotted the track down on.
You can rate the songs in the PC, as you probably know. Then you can go into radioparadise.com/account/profile and find the track by looking at the tracks you rated. However if you’re on the PC, you may as well go straight to Tidal.
But I can’t see how to rate a song on the Phone App, when I’m out and about, certainly not when I’m in the car. The best I can come up with is when I get home backtrack through the Radio Paradise playlist until I find what I think is the right song.

Rating a song is fairly straightforward in the IPhone app, see below screenshot, just click the heart and chose the rating to be applied.

Don’t have my Android phone with me right now but I believe it’s quite the same on the Android app.

I just screenshot the app on my phone if I want to look up a track that’s playing, then I can deal with it at my leisure later on.
If you miss it, you can always go to the RP website and check the playlist.

Ah yes - many thanks - I had looked but hadn’t recognised the heart for what it was. I’ll take a look at the CarPlay version next time I’m in my car too.

Anyone else wish ‘Giants of Jazz’ was HD quality? Love that station, but on Naim kit you can hear the difference between Naim Jazz and the aforementioned. Maybe I just need to donate a few bob …

1 Like

This is what I do as I’m often hiking or walking when I’m listening to the RP app. Then just delete the image after I find it in the Tidal app.

If you have Roon, the FP stream that has live track data also acts as a direct link through to a Qobuz version( and I’m guessing Tidal). Just tap the track detail ( iPhone/ IPad). Nine times out of ten, Qobuz has the track/ album being played and Roon opens it for you. Great for home but not out and about.

On another note I agree that the mp3 streams from Jazz Groove are remarkable and have changed my view that HD streams are the only ones to search for serous listening … Oh and the Roon to Qobuz link thing works for Jazz Groove as well !

1 Like

I have the Shazam app on my phone and if I ever hear a track I like I just check it on Shazam which also stores your searches. screenshots work well too.

TMEFOLK flac radio seems to be down today - hope it only a temporary issue as it is a great channel and SQ. Not streaming on the website or portals either at the moment.

The TME.fm Radio channel in mp3 seems OK
Url http://radio.tmefm.com:17666/stream
Not sure if it is the same content but sounds good.