Best jokes

IMG_0576

20 Likes

Courtesy of Private Eye.

7 Likes

Puts it into perspective really. In the first walk he’d barely get to Calais. Not that impressive. I always though this some was a paean to a love unabandoned, turns out he’s fairly apathetic about the whole thing. Should have titled it “I would walk (to the nearest point of land outside of the British Isles) (and stop there)”

The second walk is a bit better - but needs to be viewed in the context of the starting point - so the line would be “And I would walk to Calais, and I would then rest a bit and I would walk from there to Zurich” I mean it’s hardly impressive. It also doesn’t scan as well as the original line - perhaps why they did it?

Anyway - Whoever he’s singing it to would be gutted if they knew what a half assed commitmentophobe they were dealing with.

4 Likes

Vanessa Carlton was more decisive

“If I could fall into the sky
Do you think time would pass me by?
'Cause you know I’d walk a thousand miles
If I could just see you tonight”

From “A Thousand Miles” off her 2002 album “Be Not Nobody”

3 Likes

Well last time I looked - 500 hundred miles, and 500 more is also 1000 miles.

Admittedly she’s doing in one go (and in one night - which IS impressive - and not that credible really - she sounds a bit flaky) but she’s still only walking to Zurich. The question of “why?” is also the elephant in the room.

I’d not give any credit for such a walking gesture of less than 2000 miles (I think Chrissy Hynde said she’d do that. Or maybe she was talking about somebody else) and even then I’d wonder why they thought it might be appealing to me. Buy me a record I’ve mentioned or something - enough of the walking moderate distances to impress me. It doesn’t.

2 Likes

Wasn’t that only at Christmas time? :grin:

Great songs, all three!

1 Like

I think it was. Extra credit for doing it in inclement weather, but I’m still not sure what to make of it. Will she get back in time for Turkey?

(Which is slightly ironic, as I reckon if she set off from the same starting place as the Proclaimers, she’s committing to walk to the outskirts of Istanbul)

She’d need to leave in November. And Chrissy is 70 years old. I’d be thinking of having her sectioned to be honest, for her own safety.

3 Likes

A good point, but I raise you Mick & Keef who are 2000 light years from home!

5 Likes

From Lieth you have to walk on water at some point, unless the second 500 is back the way you came.

1 Like

There’s a service tunnel as part of the channel tunnel, that’s footpath and wouldn’t necessitate walking on the water.

2 Likes

I nearly added “or under it”.

Do we think the second 500 is walking back? …renders the whole thing utterly pointless….and if I was the one the proclaimers were doing it for, my first question would be “what did you do that for?” and my second question would be “can I order you a taxi?”

Orange is a nice place though - I still think Zurich would probably be the better bet. A bit more going on. International airport to get home to explain where they’ve been and why.

Well yes - I grant you it’s impressive - but they don’t specify how they got there. I suspect they didn’t walk. Professor Brian Cox probably has some questions too.

19 Likes

Horror fiction, conspiracy theories……the list is long!

1 Like

12 Likes

12 Likes

9 Likes

6 Likes