Best jokes

I thought it was funny. And inoffensive.

Jehovah!!!

Generally I find that in the Jokes thread, it’s so difficult to police what may or may not offend people, if it’s obviously offensive to most people, it’s gone, and if somebody finds it offensive enough that it’s worthy of an “inappropriate” flag, then, in most cases it’s gone too. Religious posts, whether jokes or not, are usually removed as a matter of course, as per forum rules.

I regularly have people asking to remove the entire jokes thread, but that seems a step too far. Every now and then there’s a joke posted that’s particularly worthy of the thread title.

4 Likes

I wish my wife was as sensitive as some people on this forum.

3 Likes

Pete you can reveal it if you tap the reveal link. This wasn’t really a religious joke at all, just an amusing cartoon. Someone is hypersensitive apparently.
Best

David

2 Likes

There was a carton about finding Jesus earlier that was one of the funniest things I’d seen, it didn’t (and should have either) get flagged.

One of mine was removed earlier in the week. Really could’t be bothered to question why. I and everyone I showed it to before posting thought it was funny.
Whatever!

I wonder if this will last?

15 Likes

No complaints from me. It’s not as if the joke is in any way derogatory to Christianity, but I suppose there are people who just think their religion is above humour. I very much doubt that Jesus would have agreed with them.

5 Likes

Sadly, the number of Christians who have no sense of humour is inversely related to the volume and force with which they express their opinions. The rest of us then usually get tarred with the same brush.

I daresay the same is true for other religions, but I’m restricting myself to what I know.

Mark

7 Likes

If people are really so offended, perhaps they should learn to turn the other cheek.

Matthew

4 Likes

Kind of reminded of this fellah:

5 Likes

Hi Richard I can accept your view on what the mods deem fit or not, but as mentioned there are 2 other similar previous posts which are still showing.

It’s that old sporting addage, all people want is… “consistancy from the officials”

If there’s a God, then there can be no doubt he’ll (or she’ll) have a great sense of humour. I mean - The Platypus, Giraffes, politicians, the Anglia Rail timetable…

8 Likes

Clive, have they been flagged by someone who finds them offensive?

I assume not Richard, and I didn’t find them offensive, but in my opinion my posting was no different. Subjective it might well be with what’s funny or not, but it would be good for the person or persons who found it offensive to post and explain why.

It’s an important principle that anybody can flag something up to moderators and their identity remain anonymous to the other members. I never publicly comment on specific moderation cases. If they wish to post about it, then it’s up to them.

How about this?

14 Likes

I thought the walking-on-water baby one was very funny, and I wish I had nicked it in time.

I cannot for the life of me fathom why anyone would find it offensive. Just goes to show I suppose.
I’m reminded of one the late great Douglas Adams’ (who I had the privilege to know) comment on religion:
“Now, the invention of the scientific method and science is, I’m sure we’ll all agree, the most powerful intellectual idea, the most powerful framework for thinking and investigating and understanding and challenging the world around us that there is, and that it rests on the premise that any idea is there to be attacked and if it withstands the attack then it lives to fight another day and if it doesn’t withstand the attack then down it goes. Religion doesn’t seem to work like that; it has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. That’s an idea we’re so familiar with, whether we subscribe to it or not, that it’s kind of odd to think what it actually means, because really what it means is ‘Here is an idea or a notion that you’re not allowed to say anything bad about; you’re just not. Why not? — because you’re not!’ If somebody votes for a party that you don’t agree with, you’re free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument but nobody feels aggrieved by it. If somebody thinks taxes should go up or down you are free to have an argument about it, but on the other hand if somebody says ‘I mustn’t move a light switch on a Saturday’, you say, ‘Fine, I respect that’.”

7 Likes

Not one for posting pictorial jokes as a norm but this made me chuckle, and hopefully the Old Testament is not off limits. It was rather a long time ago after all…

13 Likes

Thanks Rod, I am tempted to repost it.