Best modern jazz albums from 1969 to 2019

Yes, those are two of the best tracks.
For me the double LP as a whole has a quite special tone and mood.
It didn’t grab me at first listen, but then I kept coming back to it.

1 Like

i read every month this excellent and not expensive jazz magazine. This month the menu can interest some, like @seakayaker, @BertBird and others.

Thanks I have similar sources with jazzwise…

1 Like

Hey fr while you have tidal
Do me a favour
Play Brad Mehldau the track The Old Shade Tree
Just click play
Don’t read up on it
Open your ears to the sound of the music…
Kick back
and get into it…

P.s. it’s ok if you don’t like it

will try on sunday

1 Like

I think 1 and 3 are pretty good.

In the Art of the Trio series?

I would like to put a nomination in for Jaimie Branch, the Brooklyn-born, Chicago-raised trumpet player. I saw her live last year and it was the single best show I saw in 2018.

Her first album, Fly Or Die (2017) is just stunning. Her new EP “Prayer For Amerikka”, which came out today, only seems to be on Tidal, Spotify and other streaming services at the mo’, but it’s really good too.

yes, interesting.

1 Like

this one? i rather like

Yes, that’s the one.
Thanks for sharing this video - I’d never seen them play.
Chris Thile is the Jimmy Page of the mandolin.

This is about their joint LP:

The 2017 album contains a mix of originals and covers. The latter “include Bob Dylan’s ‘Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright’, Joni Mitchell’s ‘Marcie’, Elliott Smith’s ‘Independence Day’ as well as a composition by late 16th /early 17th century Irish harpist and composer Ruaidri Dáll Ó Catháin”.[1]

Thile’s singing covers a range of effects, including “invoking an ethereal falsetto, the imploring call of a '50s teenage crooner, a nasal Dylanesque snarl, or a rural bluesman’s grouchy defiance”.

The Irish Times reviewer commented that the songs on the album “dig down into the roots of American music, touching the common ancestry of jazz and country but coming up fresh and turned boldly to the post-genre future”.

Lloyd Sachs of JazzTimes stated “…this 64-minute, two-CD set is so idiosyncratic in its selection and treatment of material, it’s difficult to compare it to anything else… Throughout, the duo exploits the close relationship between keys and strings, achieving a seamless oneness on tunes such as Mehldau’s sprightly “Tallahassee Junction.” In exploring the world of Americana, Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau is sometimes cozy, sometimes haunting and sometimes, unexpectedly, both”.

1 Like

Interesting thread I don’t own a lot of jazz although I quite enjoy modern jazz, post M Davis. I purchase this early after a friend recommended it. It’s an excellent album, Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile

2 Likes

they are from UK i think. A lot of very good band in UK now. I regularly download on Bandcamp. Perhaps you will like Ill considered or Yazz Ahmed, or you already know? Maisha too.

1 Like

3 Likes

Dave Douglas with Mark Guliana

1 Like

1 Like

i saw this same concert in 1989 in Nice: Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters 2.

Ahmad Jamal Saturday Night ( 2013). The 24/88 qobuz sounds wonderful. With Manolo Badrena, Reginald Veal, Henry Riley.

2 Likes