Best modern jazz albums from 1969 to 2019

1 Like

1 Like

+1. And Uberjam deux is well recorded too!

1 Like

Just discovered Ai Kuwabars “Live st Blue Note Tokyo” with Steve ?Gadd and Will Lee.
Listening to it for t(e first time.
Seems very good, lovely recording and great interplay between grand piano, electric bass and drums.
Light touch jazz with intelligence.

listening now. not bad.

a wonderful album with manu codja on guitar, in the style of Aaron Parks or Kurt Rosenwinkel.

1 Like

Wow - just booked tickets for me and Mrs. JimDog to see The Brad Mehldau Trio at 19:30 on the 9th March 2020 at the Barbican in London.
Very excited.
Also going to GoGo Penguin in Manchester soon too.
These are two of my top extant modern jazz bands.

Brad is a fantastic piano player. However his acoustic trio is not really what excites me. Perhaps in a concert more.

Have you heard Highway Rider?
Mehldau’s best LP for me.
This was with his trio, but also an orchestra!
It was Mehldau’s second collaboration with producer Jon Brion (the other is the 2002 album Largo) , and it features saxophonist Joshua Redman, drummer Matt Chamberlain, and Chamber orchestra led by Dan Coleman, as well as Mehldau’s regular trio partners, bassist Larry Grenadier and drummer Jeff Ballard.

BTW, Brad is doing a lot of tour dates in France, Belgium, italy, Germany - soe of these are with his Trio but others are I think on his own or with people like Ian Bostridge

see for details : https://www.bradmehldau.com/tour

i will put it on my Tidal list. Will say you later. I like Brad with Metheny album.

Just put on the Metheny Mehldau album.
First track is lovely.
Thanks for prompting me to listen to this.
I put it as a favourite months ago but it had slipped between the cracks so this is my first time hearing it.

1 Like

i didn’t found the album you mentioned on tidal. Strange. I tried by Brad Melhdau then by the name of the album.
However i found it in allmusic. com. Will try to listen later.

FR Highway Rider is definitely on Tidal.
Tidal HiFi is my sole source.
It comes up under Mehldau as an artist and directly under Highway Rider, so there must be a bug in your search engine?

i finally found.

1 Like

The track Ring of Life with Metheny and Brads Trio together is really nice.

1 Like

The other track on that LP that includes the Mehldau Trio and Metheny is Say the Brother’s Name.
I really like the way Grenadier and Ballard play together and interwork with piano and on this LP Methenys guitar.
I agree that the five or so main albums that are made in the Art of the Trio series are not Mehldau s best work.
But the recent LP Seymour Reads the Constitution! which he made with Ballard and Grenadier is something special.
And there are some fine songs and covers on Day is Done also with the same three playing together.

i will listen when at home. I need rythm also, so a lot of jazz piano bass drums trio are often on the soft side.
Do you like Chano Dominguez « Chano »? it’s also a trio with piano.

Chano doesn’t do it for me…

it’s difficult to share all…Personally i prefer dynamic jazz and more fusion ( with different influences and genres).
I will listen to brad, but not sure it will be my cup of tea. The big orchestra behind tends to freeze my enthusiasm.

i am listening now to the Highway rider. Some tracks are interesting and nice, like Capricioo or into the city.
The concert i would like to have seen is with Scofield and Guiliana.