Best modern jazz albums from 1969 to 2019

1 Like

The track The Prophet is a Fool is very good (by Brad Mehldau).
And there’s a very good animation of it on YouTube.

Listened to Solarization, Spanish Moss and Anxiety by Billy Cobham this morning and the tone of the drums sounds fine, with a nice cup of tea.

yes, some albums of him are terrific. Like Spectrum, my favorite.

Have a listen to this one and the first one…

4 Likes

it’s nice Bert, however i am more with that, with stanley clarke and bill connors.

2 Likes

or that track, a wonderful return of the Return for Ever group , with Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, Jean luc Ponty, Bill Connors.
Album: Forever

Listening to Upon Reflection by John Surman.
Lovely clear singleminded intelligent music.

1 Like

John Surman has a very distinctive and deep sonority.
I have one album of him, which i like to hear sometimes, more in the night.

1 Like

These guys and specifically this album, belongs to the list…

6 Likes

Hi Bert
Funnily enough just listening to 7days of falling…

1 Like

Never heard of this one - it’s now on my list…

1 Like

24/96 qobuz. Super sound quality too.

Listening to it right now, after bike ride to the seaside with my kids.
Yes, very good recording.
Wow track 4 Kickback rocks!
And track 5 Chelsea Bridge is very smooth and mellow, and reminds of the decade I spent living in Chelsea and In Battersea, walking often along the river by the pagoda with the huge fat Buddha in Battersea Park and over Chelsea Bridge…

1 Like

Currently enjoying the track the Clearing by Wolfgang Muthspeil from the LP Where the River Goes.
I’m not entirely taken by the whole album but that track is really mysterious and has an atmosphere of an artic hunt…

Then there is another piano trio - that of Tord Gustavsen.
The LP Being There has such a wonderful light touch between the three players, great clarity and simplicity, and while being ostensibly cool there is so much depth of feeling in the music.
The recording is great as well e.g. the playing of the cymbals on Vicar Street is so real, the drum kit is clearly right here before me.

1 Like

i must investigate more the EST trio ( Gustavsen). Will try to listen to some albums.

EST was excellent - they were Svensson, Burglund and Ostrom.
I enjoy many of their albums.

The Tord Gustavsen Trio includes Johnsen and Vespestad.
Same piano drums bass set up as Gogo penguin, the Brad Mehldau trio, and some of Robert Glasper‘s groups, et al.

Plus the amazing Szun Waves, who use synth, drums and sax.

One reason I am drawn to these piano trios is that there are so many ways they can interplay between them, and the drums are given so much room to breathe and expand as a set of instruments…

2 Likes

The last piano trio i bought was the album of Laurent de Wilde / New Monk trio.
I like also the first album of Manu Katche, or Ahmad Jamal albums , The Essence is my favorite.

1 Like