Best modern jazz albums from 1969 to 2019

escalotor over hill takes the jazz to another level vs Bitches Brew: not really agree with it. It’s just completely different.
Bitches brew is already at a very very high level however…

Notes

Recorded October 2015

1 Like

3 Likes

A1 Spanish Key

Alto Saxophone – Rudresh MahanthappaBass – Benny RietveldComposed By – Miles DavisDjembe – Taufiq QureshiDrums – Gino Banks, Lenny WhiteFlute – David Liebman, Rakesh ChaurasiaGuitar – Mike SternKanjira – V. SelvaganeshKeyboards – Adam HolzmanMridangam – Sridhar ParthasarathyPiano – Louis BanksTrumpet – Wallace RoneyVocals – Shankar Mahadevan 20:04
B1 All Blues
Alto Saxophone – Gary Bartz, Rudresh MahanthappaBass – Ron CarterComposed By – Miles DavisDrums – Jimmy CobbGhatam – Vikku VinayakramPiano – Louis BanksSitar – Ravi Chary 9:22
B3 Ife (Fast)
Bass – Michael HendersonComposed By – Miles DavisDrums – Gino BanksFlute – David LiebmanGhatam – Vikku VinayakramGuitar – Pete CoseyKeyboards – Adam HolzmanPercussion – Anandan SivamaniViolin – Kala Ramnath

1 Like

Notes

Recorded in Europe January and February 1977
Mixed at Capitol Recording Studios, Hollywood, February and March 1977

Agree, but Escalator takes it even higher (that is what Escaltors do they go up even further) … just my opinion. There are some albums within any genre that I simply think move everything to a pinnacle. For modern jazz, it’s Escalator

What do you think of the Soft Machine from Third (when jazz saxophonist Elton Dean joined) onwards? They have some inspired jazz moments in their catalogue. Especially when classical composer Karl Jenkins took the reins.

Another alternative jazz rock combo is the American group Chicago. Of course, most folk will recall only the hits, but if you delve beyond those into the albums especially the early ones then you’ll find pieces such as A Hit by Varese from V (Five). With Chicago you will need to skip Peter Cetera’s commercial diversions (not that they are bad). Their debut Chicago Transit Authority is a great jazz rock LP.

Another artist you probably know is the wonderful Barbara Gracey Thompson MBE. Barbara studied saxophone and classical composition at the Royal College of Music, but the music of John Coltrane made her shift her interests to jazz and saxophone. She was married to Colosseum leader/drummer Jon Hiseman from 1967 until his sad death in 2018. If you are unfamiliar then try to seek out Songs from the Centre of the Earth recorded at Abbey Du Thoronet in Provence and an album with her group Paraphernalia called Never Say Goodbye

you just should say « on the pinnacle for me ». Only opinion.
For the albums you cited, like soft machine, i am more on the jazz side vs rock.
I can’t deny that escalator over hill is high rated in general by journalists. But i cannot connect emotionally to it. I tried sometimes.
There are big orchestra jazz albums that i like , as Gil Evans or Lalo Schifrin. Perhaps you like too? however it’s different…

Liking any piece of music is always subjective and as you know I place zero or less value on critics,

Interestingly you think of Soft Machine as rock, I’ve never thought of them as such.

Neither would I class Barbara Thompson as rock unless we classify John Coltrane as rock. However, I am biased when it comes to Barbara as she made me a cup of tea once and Jon Hiseman gave me a signed copy of Valentyne Suite. Barbara has suffered from Parkinson’s disease for many years now.

Chicago are most definitely Jazz Rock so may not appeal.

I’m a bit more folk (especially English traditional), psychedelia and progressive than jazz, but I still have quite a few albums in my jazz section. I think I have every Carla Bley album. I didn’t realise journalists liked Carla as they very rarely share my taste. You won’t find any Frank Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald albums in my cottage, but other people like them, which is fair enough.

i don’t know Barbara Thompson, so i wasn’t speaking of her.
I like to read jazz reviews, however i don’t always agree. Escalator over hill is indeed highly rated in the world of jazz reviewers.
I like Carla Bley Trio , i have the 24/96 .

3 Likes

Some great stuff above - but did not see this ‘classic’ - 1969 ?

5 Likes

yes, 1969. Perhaps the first great jazz fusion album.

1 Like

Spantango

Bass – Eddie GomezCongas – Luisito Quintero*Drums – Jack DejohnettePiano – Chano DomínguezWritten-By – Jack Dejohnette 10:27
2-2 Flamenco Sketches
Bass – John BenitezCongas – Sammy FigueroaDrums – Alex AcuñaFlugelhorn, Congas – Jerry GonzalezFlute – Sonny FortunePiano – Chano DomínguezWritten-By – Miles Davis 7:12
2-3 Tirititran Catalan
Arranged By – Carles BenaventBass – Carles BenaventDrums – Jack DejohnetteGuitar – Niño JoselesPercussion – Alex Acuña, Jerry Gonzalez, Sammy FigueroaPiano – Chick CoreaWritten-By – Traditional 4:57
2-4 El Swing
Bass – Eddie GomezDrums – Jack DejohnetteGuitar – John ScofieldPiano – Chick CoreaWritten-By – John Scofield 7:04
2-5 Momento
Bass – Ron CarterDrums – Alex AcuñaPiano – Gonzalo RubalcabaWritten-By – Gonzalo Julio Gonzalez Fonseca
5:27
2-6 Teo / Neo
Bass – John BenitezCongas – Sammy FigueroaDrums – Alex AcuñaWritten-By – Miles Davis 9:00
2-7 Beautiful Love
Guitar – Niño Joseles*Piano – Chano DomínguezWritten-By – Egbert Van Alstyne, Victor Young, Wayne King 7:32
2-8 Solea
Accordion – Victor PrietoBass – Carles BenaventBassoon – Michael RabinowitzEnglish Horn – Charles PillowFlute [Bass Flute] – Lou MariniFrench Horn – John Clarck*Guitar – Jaco AbelHarp – Edmar Castañeda*Oud – Rabih Abou-KhalilPercussion – Alex Acuña, Jerry Gonzalez, Sammy FigueroaTimpani – John Riley (2)Trumpet – Dominick Farinacci, Mike Williams (6)Written-By – Traditional

2 Likes

My favourite:

9 Likes

Love Keith Jarret’s Koln Concert but is it modern Jazz? If so then along with In a Silent Way that’s two Moden Jazz records I own and love.

i would say it’s modern jazz. It’s not like a bill evans piano album.
However « you must believe in spring » by Gill Evans is modern too.

by bill evans, not gil…

1 Like

if you listen to some you didn’t know and like a lot, tell me. I am curious.

I try not think in those types of musical categories.
Prefer to listen to the music itself.